Turn on thread page Beta

Does this look like an ear infection? (PICTURE) GP can't see me until next week! watch

Hi everyone. I'm 21 years old. No known health problems. Not on any medications.

About a week and a half ago I came down with a cold. A couple of days later I woke up to find that I was deaf in my left ear. I just assumed it was mucus buildup from my cold and would clear up once my cold did. However, it's now been a week and I'm still deaf. If anything it's getting worse. I also have tinnitus in the same ear. Initially I peered in my ear and couldn't see anything, but today I was having another look and saw a yellowy/white substance sitting in the ear canal. I managed to take a picture. It's not the best quality-wise but I hope you can make out what I mean.

Does this substance indicate infection? Or is it just weird looking earwax? My ear doesn't hurt at all but I have been feeling a little unwell for a couple of days. Nauseous and generally a bit under the weather.

I have booked a GP appointment but unfortunately they cannot fit me in until next bloody Wednesday! Should I call them again and asked to be seen sooner? I've never had an ear infection before so have no idea what they feel like.

The picture in question: https://imgur.com/a/zg4Zr

Thanks in advance!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone. I'm 21 years old. No known health problems. Not on any medications.

About a week and a half ago I came down with a cold. A couple of days later I woke up to find that I was deaf in my left ear. I just assumed it was mucus buildup from my cold and would clear up once my cold did. However, it's now been a week and I'm still deaf. If anything it's getting worse. I also have tinnitus in the same ear. Initially I peered in my ear and couldn't see anything, but today I was having another look and saw a yellowy/white substance sitting in the ear canal. I managed to take a picture. It's not the best quality-wise but I hope you can make out what I mean.

Does this substance indicate infection? Or is it just weird looking earwax? My ear doesn't hurt at all but I have been feeling a little unwell for a couple of days. Nauseous and generally a bit under the weather.

I have booked a GP appointment but unfortunately they cannot fit me in until next bloody Wednesday! Should I call them again and asked to be seen sooner? I've never had an ear infection before so have no idea what they feel like.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi!

Are you experiencing any pain? If so, for how long? It does like a possible ear infection or possibly a ruptured ear drum. I would advise seeing a pharmacist or calling 111 and they'll be able to advise on whether to wait until your appointment or to see someone sooner. When you say next Wednesday, do you mean the coming Wednesday or the one next week?

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Hi!

Are you experiencing any pain? If so, for how long? It does like a possible ear infection or possibly a ruptured ear drum. I would advise seeing a pharmacist or calling 111 and they'll be able to advise on whether to wait until your appointment or to see someone sooner. When you say next Wednesday, do you mean the coming Wednesday or the one next week?
    Thanks for the response. A little bit of pain, but not a great deal. I mean next Wednesday (the 21st).
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks for the response. A little bit of pain, but not a great deal. I mean next Wednesday (the 21st).
    Definitely worth seeing a pharmacist or calling 111 then
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Thanks in advance!
    (1) I can't see anything of diagnostic significance
    (2) Even if I / any other doctor could see something, it would be unethical to diagnose over the internet
    (3) As @chelseadagg3r said someone needs to have a look at it - try pharmacy as your first point of contact. Have you tried booking an appointment with the practice nurse? Do you have an NHS Walk-in centre nearby?

ReputationRep:
    I second Chelsea Dagger - call your GP first thing in the morning when they open (that's usually how you get same day appointments), but if you can't get an appointment call 111 and they may be able to help you to get one.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance!
    I would suggest calling your GP again. A possible infection accompanied with feeling under the weather is something that should definitely be investigated sooner rather than later. GPs will have some sessions reserved for these sort of things.

When you call the receptionist explain that you think you have an ear infection and that you are not feeling well. If they refuse to see you in the next couple days ask if a triage nurse can call you back. Hope you get an appointment!

Thanks everyone. I'll be calling the GP back shortly.

Forgot to mention, though my ear itself isn't very painful, for the last day or so I've been getting headaches on the left side of my head (same side as 'bad' ear). Dunno if that's significant.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks everyone. I'll be calling the GP back shortly.

Forgot to mention, though my ear itself isn't very painful, for the last day or so I've been getting headaches on the left side of my head (same side as 'bad' ear). Dunno if that's significant.
    It could be, which is why you need to get it looked at. Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.