How can I improve my maths in Year 10?

Watch
BL_11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really want to improve my math due to the fact that I have been getting d's this whole year and I am really close from going into year 11. I need some resources (past papers) and I need some tips on how to revise for an exam because it seems like no matter how hard I revise for I always get a D. For some reason in year 9 I was doing fine with math until I got into year 10 where things started to struggle for me and I think it had to do with the basic of math, also the build up of math based on the basic math is probably the reason I am struggling so please help me.
Saras98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Same problem pm if u want tips
username2888406
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BL_11)
I really want to improve my math due to the fact that I have been getting d's this whole year and I am really close from going into year 11. I need some resources (past papers) and I need some tips on how to revise for an exam because it seems like no matter how hard I revise for I always get a D. For some reason in year 9 I was doing fine with math until I got into year 10 where things started to struggle for me and I think it had to do with the basic of math, also the build up of math based on the basic math is probably the reason I am struggling so please help me.
It's great that you're looking ahead and making attempts to improve now rather than leaving it until later.

I would find out from your school what maths exam you'll be writing in year 11 (which exam board and paper). Once you know that look for some youtube videos relevant to the exam you'll be writing. There are lots of teaching videos which explain everything very well. Pick a topic, watch the video and then do some practice examples to make sure you've understood the method. If you can understand the concept and method then you can apply that to most variations of the question. The more you practice the more you will retain the method. I find a little and often works best for me.

Past papers for the relevant exam board can be found on their websites, the mark scheme for each paper will be there too so you can mark your answers.

If you're struggling with the basics do a search for GCSE Foundation Maths from Scratch by Jack Brown on youtube. I found that he explains maths very well and covers a lot of the basics.
BL_11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
)
(Original post by SmilingWombat)
It's great that you're looking ahead and making attempts to improve now rather than leaving it until later.

I would find out from your school what maths exam you'll be writing in year 11 (which exam board and paper). Once you know that look for some youtube videos relevant to the exam you'll be writing. There are lots of teaching videos which explain everything very well. Pick a topic, watch the video and then do some practice examples to make sure you've understood the method. If you can understand the concept and method then you can apply that to most variations of the question. The more you practice the more you will retain the method. I find a little and often works best for me.

Past papers for the relevant exam board can be found on their websites, the mark scheme for each paper will be there too so you can mark your answers.

If you're struggling with the basics do a search for GCSE Foundation Maths from Scratch by Jack Brown on youtube. I found that he explains maths very well and covers a lot of the basics.
Do you know any good website for my revision and if are there any excercise books that I can practice my math everyday because the one I am currently owning (cambridge IGCSE Maths Chris Pearce) for some reason just doesn't motivate me to do any work at home and that's the book I am using at school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (92)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (280)
15.14%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (198)
10.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (260)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (82)
4.43%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (107)
5.78%
Loneliness (160)
8.65%
Financial worries (66)
3.57%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (81)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (88)
4.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (102)
5.51%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (161)
8.7%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (173)
9.35%

Watched Threads