The Student Room Group

[SPORT RELIEF GOLDEN THREAD]Go-to activites to cheer yourself up?

Exercise is a great way improve your mental health and wellbeing in the long term, but also just to cheer you up when you're feeling a bit rubbish.

Personally, I find sticking a right bopper on and having a dance is an easy way to lift my spirits. It gets my heart going, clears my head a bit, and it's great fun.

What activities do you do to cheer yourself up?

Check out the other GOLDEN THREADS here >>
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I get you with the music. The Lion King puts me in a good mood in the morning.:u:

I really should exercise more though.:emo:
Typically I go and put on my favourite movie (it's LOTR, spoilers) or go find a book that captures my interest - and that can be anything.

But sometimes it's exercise that I find myself heading to - usually the Just Dance games on the Switch, or archery.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Exercise is a great way improve your mental health and wellbeing in the long term, but also just to cheer you up when you're feeling a bit rubbish.

Personally, I find sticking a right bopper on and having a dance is an easy way to lift my spirits. It gets my heart going, clears my head a bit, and it's great fun.

Going for a walk anywhere, whether that's to the shops or to the park really helps, especially if you're stuck in front of a computer monitor or a book all day, every day.

I love wacking on some tunes and dancing like and idiot in my room. When I'm stressed, I try to go to the gym and just power walk it out or do some yoga in my room. Just getting out the house, even to walk to the shop I find helps clear my mind - it's always good to change your surroundings.
Definitely singing a good song! When I was freaking out on the day before results day it's all I did for about an hour
Having a good old tug. Had to be said...
Baking cookies or playing some rock on the guitar:biggrin:
Original post by Blue_Cow
Going for a walk anywhere, whether that's to the shops or to the park really helps, especially if you're stuck in front of a computer monitor or a book all day, every day.

Yeah, this! I'm making sure to take regular breaks to go on a wander for water. I'm drinking my water, taking more breaks from the computer, and moving a bit more so it's actually great and super easy!

Original post by JennLousie
Definitely singing a good song! When I was freaking out on the day before results day it's all I did for about an hour

Ooh that's really cool! Did it help you chill out a little? What song?! So much to know!

Mine is meditation I use a amazing app where you just have to do 10 mins a day (you can do more if you choose) I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. It's like having the best power nap ever and always makes me feel happier and more chilled out :smile:
Reply 10
I tend to sleep it off.
Exercise wise - walk while listening to upbeat music
Leisure - watch/read horror fiction, play video games, cook, go for a bath and burn some candles
I normally go to the Gym.
It probably isn't healthy, but I channel my stress into the weights.
The gym is a good place to just think in between sets (provided it isn't full of hard-core grunters).

Dancing around your room is definitely a great way to feel a bit better, as long as your neighbours aren't in seeing distance!

For me, I've always loved going for walks when I feel down. It's a chance to get out of the house and whatever situation I'm in, listen to some of my favourite music, do some reflection or contemplation, and get a little bit of exercise without really putting in too much effort. I have a few favourite places - at home, I love walking through some of the fields behind my house which come to a little pond, but at university, I love walking up behind the train station where there's a hill that you can see the whole city from.

I play guitar, do art and love to read, but these are all things I never feel interested in when I'm feeling low. It really sucks, but that's the frustrating nature of mental health difficulties. I can listen to music, watch Netflix or go and sit around my friends even if I don't feel like speaking though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Anything to get your mind off. Netflix, exercise, sleep, eat. I treat myself- e.g. said I'd order a pizza on friday meaning I had something to look forward to.
Sounds insane, but I've just climbed Arthur's Seat (took a rather steep and nasty route up) clenching a small torch :tongue:

It was tough, but damn it felt good getting all the way up there...
My go to is dial up the deliveroo bois tbh, but when things are really rough it's a decent walk. Walking at weird ass times like 2am is quite cool
Anime, anime ops, dark vocaloids if i'm feeling it, anime op's (I fuc*s with the fma brotherhood and sao opening 1's), green tea, alishan oolong green tea, recently began watching the walking dead, thinking about why I continue to live....... Ignore the last part.........
Anything that gets me out the flat. Going to the gym is a double win for cheering up and getting healthy :smile:

a nice walk around the park on a cold blue sky day

Quick Reply