Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So i just passed my test I was speeding on the M1, doing about 80-90 at one point 100-110 for 10-15 seconds, Im really paranoid that I got caught by cameras, I saw no flashes but with all the news about the new system im shook.

Has anyone ever got away with speeding on the motorway? and what are chances of getting caught
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    You just passed your test and you decided the best thing to do was go on the motorway and drive 40mph above the speed limit? :lolwut:

I've no idea if the cameras would've caught you or not, but in all honesty I hope they have. You are clearly a reckless driver to be going so stupidly fast, especially with so little experience on the road.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Blobfish)
    So i just passed my test I was speeding on the M1, doing about 80-90 at one point 100-110 for 10-15 seconds, Im really paranoid that I got caught by cameras, I saw no flashes but with all the news about the new system im shook.

Has anyone ever got away with speeding on the motorway? and what are chances of getting caught
    Whereabouts on the M1?

And fingers crossed eh! Fingers crossed you're caught I mean...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're crazy man. I did 100mph once like a month after I passed just because well... the car could, but only once. I also notoriously did 80-90 late at night because "everyone else does it".

Then I learned what the new penalties were from like a year ago and now I religiously do 70-75. It isn't worth it. I'll also openly take any abuse for doing so because frankly I deserve it for being stupid, as do you.

ReputationRep:
    My whole livelihood involves plenty of driving, so I got that boy racer stuff out of my system back when I was working in Tesco. Speeding just isn't worth it. Sure there are times where you know you are 99% sure that you won't get caught or cause danger. But come on, you did just pass your test... I am shocked

ReputationRep:
    Cool I understand my wrong doing, but none of you have answered any of my questions, instead just causing me more necessary stress
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Cool I understand my wrong doing, but none of you have answered any of my questions, instead just causing me more necessary stress
    Without knowing which part of the M1 (which I asked you) it's hard to indicate anything. For example, if it was the SMART section you can expect a letter.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...torway-1103854

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The 'smart' motorway cameras have all been switched on now, permanently. But the overhead gantry cameras tend to flash, so if you didn't get flashed then you are safe from those ones.

However, if you went through an average speed camera section at 100+, then you might have been caught

ReputationRep:
    I havent heard of someone speeding over 90mph on the motorway and not getting caught, whether that is a cop car catching them, speed cameras or something else. The best thing for you to do now is wait and see if you did get caught.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well, you were the one which decided to speed. I hope you get your licence revoked, that'll teach you a lesson.

ReputationRep:
    You could have googled "Did I get caught speeding?" and it'd have answered your thread as much as we could, seeing as we have a lack of info so seeing how regurgitating basic info is kinda redundant; the only thing left for us to do is tut disappointingly at the misuse of your license. This is probably the worst place to tell people you intentionally put lives at risk, like I said this is hella hypocritical of me because I've done it once, but I probably don't get as much stick for it as I should because calling me an idiot is ergo also redundant since I'll do it for them and I wouldn't have complained if a letter came in the post. What I wouldn't do however, is then ask if anyone's gotten away with it, considering a lot of us who post in this section have dealt with, or have to deal with inflated premiums because of kids like us who thought it was a brilliant idea to speed that one time and take out 2 cars after losing control due to lack of experience; letting us know you're a contributory factor is going to get you slated.

Also, the M1 is a long stretch of motorway, we don't know what cameras you passed or were near, we don't even know which part of it you drove through to make an educated guess on whether it's a hotspot. You say you recognise it's wrong to do so; someone who would wouldn't then ask what the chances of getting caught are and if anyone's ever gotten away with it - that tells us you'd consider doing it again and makes us less inclined to offer you any counsel.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Yeah mate, just checked with the motorway police, you passed 3 cameras at 97mph, 103mph, and 99mph consecutively. That's 9 points bud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Yeah mate, just checked with the motorway police, you passed 3 cameras at 97mph, 103mph, and 99mph consecutively. That's 9 points bud.
    I'd check with the cyber police just for good measure...

Isn't 103 a disqual by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Please stop providing false information. It was actually 98mph, 104mph and 101mph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Please stop providing false information. It was actually 98mph, 104mph and 101mph.
    He wasn't counting on Motorway County Sheriff Bill visiting this thread, give him a break man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    He wasn't counting on Motorway County Sheriff Bill visiting this thread, give him a break man.
    And Blobfish wasn't counting on the cameras getting him but no one is giving him a break. I mean... its not like speeding is dangerous or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I regularly speed on the motorway and I haven’t been caught as of yet. I don’t really use the M1 that much but I’m pretty sure Waze tells you when they’re cameras and there should be signs letting you know also, whenever those things happen Brake! down to 70 and when you’ve passed them you can resume driving at a comfortable speed.

I wouldn’t take all the people saying “you should get your license taken away because you went over the limit” too seriously as they’re either lying or just salty they couldn’t afford insurance without a black box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtheClassicMan)
    I regularly speed on the motorway and I haven’t been caught as of yet. I don’t really use the M1 that much but I’m pretty sure Waze tells you when they’re cameras and there should be signs letting you know also, whenever those things happen Brake! down to 70 and when you’ve passed them you can resume driving at a comfortable speed.

I wouldn’t take all the people saying “you should get your license taken away because you went over the limit” too seriously as they’re either lying or just salty they couldn’t afford insurance without a black box
    I don't have a box, I'm just not stupid enough to invite 3 points for something so easily avoided. Rather take them for a genuine mistake if nothing else. The key word you used there is "yet" - only takes one screw-up to get pulled over and end up with 3-6 points and potentially a short ban; then we'll see who can't afford their insurance. If you think doing 100-115mph is acceptable then you are not long for this world.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get a letter?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.