The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2018 (Discussion Thread)

Thought I'd start a thread for those people who might have just missed out on passing the FSAC and are hoping to be offered a role through the Direct Appointment Scheme.

Does anyone have any additional information on this, the likelihood of being offered a role and what criteria they tend to favour?

Or just post your ramblings in general!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm hoping for this too. Nothing seems to have come out as yet sadly.
Reply 2
Got a mail regarding DAS today
Original post by tom2018
Got a mail regarding DAS today

Hey, thanks for letting us know.

Can I ask what scheme you went for and score you got?

Thanks!
Reply 4
I applied to DDaT stream and my score was 9.30
Original post by tom2018
I applied to DDaT stream and my score was 9.30

Oh ok cool, did you get to FSB?

Hope they're offering it out to all schemes and not just DDaT good luck with it though!
Oh I got rejected at AC with 10.17 and didn't hear anything about DAS today :/
Reply 7
I got an email about it today too, but the email seems to imply that all the posts will be in London. I was always under the impression that most DAS posts are in London with some in other regions (as with the Fast Stream) so hopefully the email is wrong, I guess? I'll contact them and ask. If it is London only this year I won't be applying, sadly!
Original post by RedandYellow
Oh I got rejected at AC with 10.17 and didn't hear anything about DAS today :/

I don't know if it was only people applying to DDaT that got e-mails? Or maybe it'll take a little while for them to send expression of interest forms out to lots of people?
Original post by Mawile
I got an email about it today too, but the email seems to imply that all the posts will be in London. I was always under the impression that most DAS posts are in London with some in other regions (as with the Fast Stream) so hopefully the email is wrong, I guess? I'll contact them and ask. If it is London only this year I won't be applying, sadly!

Yes best to check with them first - that would be annoying!
Reply 10
Original post by littleone123
Yes best to check with them first - that would be annoying!

The email has a frequently asked questions document and an expression of interest form attached, and the FAQ implies that there will be posts outside London but the interest form implies there won't be, so it's not at all clear. I'll email them at some point tonight. Not getting my hopes up though because I feel like the FAQ is probably just a generic one they send out every year, so if it is restricted to London for 2018 entry they might just have forgotten to update the FAQ.
Original post by Mawile
The email has a frequently asked questions document and an expression of interest form attached, and the FAQ implies that there will be posts outside London but the interest form implies there won't be, so it's not at all clear. I'll email them at some point tonight. Not getting my hopes up though because I feel like the FAQ is probably just a generic one they send out every year, so if it is restricted to London for 2018 entry they might just have forgotten to update the FAQ.

Don't see why it would be restricted to London. Was your first choice generalist btw?
Reply 12
Don't see why it would be restricted to London. Was your first choice generalist btw?

It was, yeah, and my second choice was communications. I got rejected from my other two choices before FSAC.
I don't know if it was only people applying to DDaT that got e-mails? Or maybe it'll take a little while for them to send expression of interest forms out to lots of people?

I'm aware of two other people who got sent the form today who didn't apply for DDaT. I hope it's in batches or something...

Good luck in getting a place if you go for it!! :smile:
Reply 14
Hey guys!

So I completed by FSAC on December 6th (Project Delivery) and found out a few weeks later that I didn't get in. However, I received an email on the 27th February 2018 that because I was "narrowly unsuccessful", I may still be able to join the Civil Service through the DAS.

But, in the email I received it says it is "unlikely" that any position will be offered for a start date after the end of August. This is problematic for me because I'm currently doing a Masters and my dissertation due date is also the end of August, so an ideal start date for me would be the time which the CS have said it is "unlikely" for me to get a position.

Has anyone been in a similar boat? Any advice on what I should do?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 15
Hey all,

I also got rejected from the FSAC in October. Only just got an email through yesterday from HR saying they might be able to offer me something through DAS.

Glad I've found some other people in the same position!
Reply 16
Hi all,

I got the same email about the DAS yesterday asking to respond with an attached form if interested and did so later that afternoon.

I attended the FSAC in November for the Diplomatic, Generalist and Financial schemes and was turned down with a score of 9.51.

Would be great to hear from anyone if/when they get any further contact about the scheme!
(edited 6 years ago)
Got the same email.... went FSAC in November for HR. I am hoping there are some positions outside London.
Haven't heard anything.

Did anyone who has heard from DAS score above 9.84?! Random qn but I'm theorising about their methods.
Reply 19
I didn't, got 9.14.
What do you think their methods are?

Quick Reply