The Student Room Group

What would you do?

Right decision time for a PHD folks. I'm fortunate to have two offers, b but having a hard time deciding. Here's what's on offer.

1. University A (not in London), supervisor has excellent track record in publications, field is my area of interest, industrial partnership DTP on offer with higher consumables fund. But research team is overall smaller and would have to relocate to a city I'm not familiar with. Also have never worked with that supervisor.

2. Universities B,C and D. D is a top 10 university globally. Could develop my own project and share PIs across 3 top London unis. Some of the supervisors are known to me and we get on a treat. But consumables fund is much lower, so would have to apply for more outside of scheme. Fields of expertise will be mixed. PIs generally lower track record.

Any suggestions? :frown:
Original post by mip22
Right decision time for a PHD folks. I'm fortunate to have two offers, b but having a hard time deciding. Here's what's on offer.

1. University A (not in London), supervisor has excellent track record in publications, field is my area of interest, industrial partnership DTP on offer with higher consumables fund. But research team is overall smaller and would have to relocate to a city I'm not familiar with. Also have never worked with that supervisor.

2. Universities B,C and D. D is a top 10 university globally. Could develop my own project and share PIs across 3 top London unis. Some of the supervisors are known to me and we get on a treat. But consumables fund is much lower, so would have to apply for more outside of scheme. Fields of expertise will be mixed. PIs generally lower track record.

Any suggestions? :frown:

Its a coin toss. Choice 1 has managed to make a success despite being a smaller team and it all seems where you wnat to be. I think the city is much less importnat.

Choice 2 then you are banking on your PHD being associated with the three London unis despite the drawbacks.

Imo choice 1 if you back yourself and choice 2 if you think having the name of the uni is more important. It would probably help those who come after if you said which unis or gave a good idea. Have you asked them to sell it to you? Will you be able to get the extra funding?
I'd choose option 1, personally. 'London' and 'top 10 globally' aren't particularly relevant factors when you're looking at PhDs. More funding, better PI, and better fit with your own area of interest are three big, important pluses.

Sounds like you'll do great whichever you choose, and getting on with PIs is important too, so option 1 obviously involves a gamble in that sense. But personally that's what I'd do - ultimately it comes down to what you personally value.

What's the funding like for the London option? I know people scraping by on meagre DTP stipends in London and it does not sound at all fun.
Reply 3
Original post by worldender
I'd choose option 1, personally. 'London' and 'top 10 globally' aren't particularly relevant factors when you're looking at PhDs. More funding, better PI, and better fit with your own area of interest are three big, important pluses.

Sounds like you'll do great whichever you choose, and getting on with PIs is important too, so option 1 obviously involves a gamble in that sense. But personally that's what I'd do - ultimately it comes down to what you personally value.

What's the funding like for the London option? I know people scraping by on meagre DTP stipends in London and it does not sound at all fun.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Technically, they're both 'meagre' DTP funds, the difference lies with the consumables funds, which is higher in option 1. For option 2 though I could attract more outside funding...potentially. The reality of this may be harder. The 3 unis btw are all top 30 which makes this really hard.

I'm just not sure what future academic employers look for. I am guessing publication track record. However, I am not sure I'll be guaranteed this at either option, though I'm sure I could try...

No option is perfect...it's choosing the one I feel I can make work despite the imperfections I guess.
Original post by mip22

Yeah - you're right, ultimately this will all come down to what you make out of your PhD experience, and that is not guaranteed at either institution. It sounds like both of them will provide you with an excellent springboard, opportunities to publish, and the resources to do well. Ultimately, go with your gut.

Academic employers will be looking at things like publication record, not rankings. Especially given that both are top-quality universities, I wouldn't worry about that aspect at all. Showing that you're able to attract external funding is also valuable.
Reply 5
Yeah - you're right, ultimately this will all come down to what you make out of your PhD experience, and that is not guaranteed at either institution. It sounds like both of them will provide you with an excellent springboard, opportunities to publish, and the resources to do well. Ultimately, go with your gut.

Academic employers will be looking at things like publication record, not rankings. Especially given that both are top-quality universities, I wouldn't worry about that aspect at all. Showing that you're able to attract external funding is also valuable.

Thanks for the advice! It's all given me more to think about, but also helped to retire certain criteria.
No worries! What a nice position to be in - best of luck whatever you choose to do.
Reply 7
No worries! What a nice position to be in - best of luck whatever you choose to do.

Yes, you are right. I'm lucky and humbled to be in this position, so really there's nothing to fear I guess (apart from a massive move to another city perhaps) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending