The Student Room Group

Student loan and previous course.

Hi there, I am a mature student and have gone back to education this last year doing an Access course to get the grades to go to university to do mental health nursing.

I have just applied for my tuition and maintenance loans at student finance and just want to check something seeing as it is finance week on here.

I went to college and started a HND in computing in 2003 and only completed the first year due to personal circumstances and having to move out of the area. i saw no way of going back to complete this and wrote it off. Since deciding to go back into education later on my personal tutor at college has said that although the rules state that the first year of tuition would be deducted from the loan for the nursing course; that this would not happen or apply as it is a healthcare course and they give the loans regardless of outstanding or previous study.

I just want to check the validity of this claim and seeing if this has cropped up or has been heard of before?

I thank any response in advance and for your time reading this.

Regards,

Kyle
Original post by Azmodai
Hi there, I am a mature student and have gone back to education this last year doing an Access course to get the grades to go to university to do mental health nursing.

I have just applied for my tuition and maintenance loans at student finance and just want to check something seeing as it is finance week on here.

I went to college and started a HND in computing in 2003 and only completed the first year due to personal circumstances and having to move out of the area. i saw no way of going back to complete this and wrote it off. Since deciding to go back into education later on my personal tutor at college has said that although the rules state that the first year of tuition would be deducted from the loan for the nursing course; that this would not happen or apply as it is a healthcare course and they give the loans regardless of outstanding or previous study.

I just want to check the validity of this claim and seeing if this has cropped up or has been heard of before?

I thank any response in advance and for your time reading this.

Regards,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

As Mental Health Nursing is as NHS course it is classed as an exception course . So all previous study or equal level of qualification (ELQ) is disregarded.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Smashing stuff, thank you Louise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending