The Student Room Group

Could I do Maths at Oxford?

I’m currently at GCSE (early i know) and since i’ve been making my a level choices i’ve really been thinking about degrees or careers i want to do in the future. I have a particular interest in maths and have always been good at it, and i’ve been considering doing it as a degree after A-Levels

(At GCSE I’m predicted to get : 8 A*s and 3 As)

At A-Level i’m intending on doing : Maths, Biology, Physics and English Literature - would the fact that i’m not doing Further Maths matter? A-Level further maths isn’t available at my school, or any nearby schools so what can i do about that? Also, what kinds of ‘super-curriculars’ or work experience could i do to appear as a more desirable candidate.

I know that Oxford is VERY selective so it’s unlikely that i’d be accepted, but I want to at least try as it’s been a lifelong dream for me.

Any responses are appreciated - thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Cambridge for Mathematics is better!
Original post by Luca Ward
I’m currently at GCSE (early i know) and since i’ve been making my a level choices i’ve really been thinking about degrees or careers i want to do in the future. I have a particular interest in maths and have always been good at it, and i’ve been considering doing it as a degree after A-Levels

At A-Level i’m intending on doing : Maths, Biology, Physics and English Literature - would the fact that i’m not doing Further Maths matter? A-Level further maths isn’t available at my school, so would the mathematical elements of physics be able to compensate? Also, what kinds of ‘super-curriculars’ or work experience could i do to appear as a more desirable candidate.

I know that Oxford is VERY selective so it’s unlikely that i’d be accepted, but I want to at least try as it’s been a lifelong dream for me.

A level physics has barely anything above AS level maths, so it won't compensate for not having further maths. Try teaching further maths to yourself?
in 2019 they want to make further maths compulsory (i read this on the prospectus)
Also why would you want a degree in maths but not do further maths a-level.
You can apply to other sixth forms! Your school shouldn't limit you.
Furthermore, why would you aim on Oxford (and you are aiming for oxbridge from the beginning) but avoid further maths! It is essential
You will struggle in year 1 and 2
And if you want a degree in maths what the hell is english literature doing in your a-level choices. I guess its because of your school.
Be practical,
Remember you have take the MAT at Oxford (before you start year 13) at Cambridge you take STEP (after).
If you want to get into oxford, they'll look at MAT. Make it easier for yourself, maybe try replacing some choices with further maths, compsci, electronics (not useful but hey its better than englit) or chemistry.
Original post by erratic_deus
in 2019 they want to make further maths compulsory (i read this on the prospectus)
Also why would you want a degree in maths but not do further maths a-level.
You can apply to other sixth forms! Your school shouldn't limit you.
Furthermore, why would you aim on Oxford (and you are aiming for oxbridge from the beginning) but avoid further maths! It is essential
You will struggle in year 1 and 2
And if you want a degree in maths what the hell is english literature doing in your a-level choices. I guess its because of your school.
Be practical,
Remember you have take the MAT at Oxford (before you start year 13) at Cambridge you take STEP (after).
If you want to get into oxford, they'll look at MAT. Make it easier for yourself, maybe try replacing some choices with further maths, compsci, electronics (not useful but hey its better than englit) or chemistry.

OP's school doesn't offer further maths a level. Also, doing English lit is fine lol

At A-Level i’m intending on doing : Maths, Biology, Physics and English Literature - would the fact that i’m not doing Further Maths matter? A-Level further maths isn’t available at my school, or any nearby schools so what can i do about that? Also, what kinds of ‘super-curriculars’ or work experience could i do to appear as a more desirable candidate.

You need Further Maths - every school can offer it through FMSP so talk to your school or look elsewhere. http://furthermaths.org.uk/offering-fm
Reply 6

Those are fantastic grades. If you carry on in a similar fashion when studying A-Level Maths and Further Maths (you must take Further maths), you'll have a perfectly good chance. Keep in mind that when thinking about Oxbridge, you need to be extremely competent with the A-Level syllabus and also comfortable with MAT (Maths admission test) and/or STEP (Sixth-term examination paper), both very difficult tests for A-Level maths students. If your school can't teach FM, ask them to contact the FMSP (further maths support program) and have a teacher come in and teach the content to you.
Reply 7
Further maths is either going to be expected or highly recommended by any good maths university, not just Oxbridge. As someone has suggested you or your school should be able to obtain Further Maths teaching from the FMSP. Not having further maths would likely limit the range of universities you can apply to, make more difficult the transition to university; without further maths I think you run the risk of becoming bored/unchallenged in sixth form "only" doing A-level maths.

Quick Reply

Latest