Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I was brainstorming all last night and managed to create this question, I've checked it and it is fully functional and works. I was just looking for advice on what you guys would grade this question at because my intentions were it would be a grade 9 however i'm not sure. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Y11_Maths)
    I haven’t tried it but it looks like grade 9 at first glance.

If x is anything then the equation for AB seems pointless since x isn’t referenced anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I haven’t tried it but it looks like grade 9 at first glance.

If x is anything then the equation for AB seems pointless since x isn’t referenced anywhere else?
    I used x to make the question seem more complex and harder instead of giving x a value where people can sub it in after working it out. It just adds to the difficulty imo
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This would definitely be 9, I'm predicted 9 and looking at this almost made me crap my pants. Let's hope this doesn't come up (or something similar)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    This would definitely be 9, I'm predicted 9 and looking at this almost made me crap my pants. Let's hope this doesn't come up (or something similar)
    Actually I'm trying to solve this and I don't understand what you mean by 'bac=120 Respectively', namely the respectively part.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I'm trying to solve this and I don't understand what you mean by 'bac=120 Respectively', namely the respectively part.
    It just means that angle bac=120 degrees. The respectively is just to intimidate students-it looks like its working

ReputationRep:
    It just means that angle bac=120 degrees. The respectively is just to intimidate students-it looks like its working
    But it doesn't make sense

Update: I'm trying to solve this now but as you get to the cosine rule bit the algebra is hellish, it would help if cos120 wasn't a weird number...

ReputationRep:
    By all means attempt to solve it

ReputationRep:
    grade 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mekail2001)
    grade 10
    Haha thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    But it doesn't make sense

Update: I'm trying to solve this now but as you get to the cosine rule bit the algebra is hellish, it would help if cos120 wasn't a weird number...
    The algebra is very long winded
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    it looks like a difficult question, and i am trying to solve it, but how is angle a an obtuse angle when the diagram shows it is acute?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    First glance I'd say it's definitely grade 8/9.

The diagram is a bit weird, it's acute but it says 120?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray44)
    it looks like a difficult question, and i am trying to solve it, but how is angle a an obtuse angle when the diagram shows it is acute?
    Surely you've learnt by now that diagrams are never accurate haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's true but in trig questions it's very important to know if it's acute or not. Sin(x)=Sin(180-x) for instance could mean that your calculated angle or side in some problems changes (ambiguous case).

ReputationRep:
    fair enough haha, ill stop making excuses for myself and get it done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    That's true but in trig questions it's very important to know if it's acute or not. Sin(x)=Sin(180-x) for instance could mean that your calculated angle or side in some problems changes (ambiguous case).
    Thank you for your input, always happy to take notes on what I can change

ReputationRep:
    take this from someone who acc got a grade 9 in maths and is doing maths and f maths at A level, you saying BAC is not 120 degrees is literally wrong... like no diagram is ever that inaccurate when visibly it is not possible.

ReputationRep:
    So I was brainstorming all last night and managed to create this question, I've checked it and it is fully functional and works. I was just looking for advice on what you guys would grade this question at because my intentions were it would be a grade 9 however i'm not sure. Any feedback is greatly appreciated
    I'm sure you're very capable in maths for being able to do this, but I think this is more of an AS-Level question.

At least GCSE content with A Level application - similar to Mechanics 1.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.