Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    I'm sure you're very capable in maths for being able to do this, but I think this is more of an AS-Level question.

At least GCSE content with A Level application - similar to Mechanics 1.
    AS Maths is 80% GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're very capable in maths for being able to do this, but I think this is more of an AS-Level question.

Thank you so much. I look forward to AS and FM next year 🙂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12tastani)
    take this from someone who acc got a grade 9 in maths and is doing maths and f maths at A level, you saying BAC is not 120 degrees is literally wrong... like no diagram is ever that inaccurate when visibly it is not possible.
    I can always change the diagram no stress

ReputationRep:
    AS Maths is 80% GCSE
    And why does that statement prove my point wrong?

ReputationRep:
    And why does that statement prove my point wrong?
    if the question requires 100% GCSE knowledge then it isn't A level application, it is both an A level and GCSE question meaning year 11s and year 12s should be able to answer it

ReputationRep:
    if the question requires 100% GCSE knowledge then it isn't A level application, it is both an A level and GCSE question meaning year 11s and year 12s should be able to answer it
    Mechanics is 100% GCSE Maths knowledge though and requires A Level application? Unless you decide to unnecessarily use trig identities for some of it.

Aside from that, I didn't say it was 100% GCSE, that's your assumption.

I did the old spec, so maybe they've changed the content, but that's what the old M1 was .

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics is 100% GCSE Maths knowledge though and requires A Level application? Unless you decide to unnecessarily use trig identities for some of it.

Aside from that, I didn't say it was 100% GCSE, that's your assumption.

I did the old spec, so maybe they've changed the content, but that's what the old M1 was .
    Lol come on, i was obviously referring to new GCSE AND new A Levels, and also your M1 and S1 are harder than our M1 and S1 (we do both no options) except we do some parts of S1, S2, S3, S4 and M1, M2, M3, M4 randomly (for AS at least) it will probably get harder next year

ReputationRep:
    Lol come on, i was obviously referring to new GCSE AND new A Levels, and also your M1 and S1 are harder than our M1 and S1 (we do both no options) except we do some parts of S1, S2, S3, S4 and M1, M2, M3, M4 randomly (for AS at least) it will probably get harder next year
    Lol, good luck. Stats is boring as ****; I don't know what I'd do if I was forced to do more of it.

I think Maths A Level won't be as drastically changed as GCSE. Looking at it now, a lot of the topics are identical, but the organisation in terms whats on each paper has changed a lot.

The science A levels became AIDS. cheating *******s sneaked in Standard deviation into a Biology exam without anyone preparing for it lol.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, good luck. Stats is boring as ****; I don't know what I'd do if I was forced to do more of it.

I think Maths A Level won't be as drastically changed as GCSE. Looking at it now, a lot of the topics are identical, but the organisation in terms whats on each paper has changed a lot.

The science A levels became AIDS. cheating *******s sneaked in Standard deviation into a Biology exam without anyone preparing for it lol.
    standard deviation in a science exam!!! that shouldn't even be on the specification. We are allowed to sue for anything that's not legally on the spec. lol

Further Maths though, has changed a lot! FP3 & FP4 stuff is in our CP1 (core pure 1 - 1st unit)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Y11_Maths)
    x
    Hi, my reply was a bit rushed earlier and I meant to say this a few days ago : I think what you're doing is really great. Creating your own questions is a brilliant way to revise and really shows that you understand a topic. So please keep making as many as you can and I'm happy to be tagged whenever you make one if you would like me to judge its difficulty (this is definitely a grade 9 question by the way).

I would recommend this revision technique to more people but I doubt most students would want to make up their own questions! Maybe a hard 9-1 questions thread will get popular like it did last year and you'll be able to make questions for others to try.

Creating your own question is a very hard thing to do (especially a grade 9 question) but I think this was an excellent attempt. A few things that could improve it:

Diagrams are never to scale but make sure you don't confuse the student by making it very different to the information in the question (this has already been mentioned).

For this question you can end up with \sin^{-1}\left(a\sqrt{b}\right) so I don't think you need to have a sin within the sin^(-1) - it's nicer to make the final value as simple as possible. Was this meant to be a calculator or non-calculator question?

As I said earlier, saying that AB = 2(x-3) doesn't tell you anything because any number can be written as 2(x-3). You could equally say that AB = 5(x-2) and the answer would be the same. It is only important if that x refers to something else in the question. You can do this question with AB = y and AC = 3y, the expression for AB is irrelevant. Let me know if you want me to explain this more.

I hope you don't mind me being critical of your question but I think it's always good to see how you can improve.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

I disagree. I think this question is perfect for grade 9 (with a few tweaks to the required answer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Hi, my reply was a bit rushed earlier and I meant to say this a few days ago : I think what you're doing is really great. Creating your own questions is a brilliant way to revise and really shows that you understand a topic. So please keep making as many as you can and I'm happy to be tagged whenever you make one if you would like me to judge its difficulty (this is definitely a grade 9 question by the way).

I would recommend this revision technique to more people but I doubt most students would want to make up their own questions! Maybe a hard 9-1 questions thread will get popular like it did last year and you'll be able to make questions for others to try.

Creating your own question is a very hard thing to do (especially a grade 9 question) but I think this was an excellent attempt. A few things that could improve it:

Diagrams are never to scale but make sure you don't confuse the student by making it very different to the information in the question (this has already been mentioned).

For this question you can end up with \sin^{-1}\left(a\sqrt{b}\right) so I don't think you need to have a sin within the sin^(-1) - it's nicer to make the final value as simple as possible. Was this meant to be a calculator or non-calculator question?

As I said earlier, saying that AB = 2(x-3) doesn't tell you anything because any number can be written as 2(x-3). You could equally say that AB = 5(x-2) and the answer would be the same. It is only important if that x refers to something else in the question. You can do this question with AB = y and AC = 3y, the expression for AB is irrelevant. Let me know if you want me to explain this more.

I hope you don't mind me being critical of your question but I think it's always good to see how you can improve.
    Thank you so much this is an incredible response! I appreciate all the support and comments you have made in this and I will definitely take on board everything you have said.

This question could be both non-calculator or calculator depending on whether the student knows their sine and cos values, however if I asked for the exact value of angle bca at the end then it would be a calculator for sure.

When you say the final form can be written as sin^(-1) (a root b) are you converting the sin120 to a fraction and working from there? Because I did that and (assuming we had the same previous answer) am stuck on sin^(-1) (root a divided by b)

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I was doing this right... was cosine rule required? I couldn't find any other way to find the required angles/sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    Not sure if I was doing this right... was cosine rule required? I couldn't find any other way to find the required angles/sides.
    Yes cosine rule is required
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    When you say the final form can be written as sin^(-1) (a root b) are you converting the sin120 to a fraction and working from there? Because I did that and (assuming we had the same previous answer) am stuck on sin^(-1) (root a divided by b)
    Can you post what you got?

If I was making the question I would probably say B\hat{C}A = \theta and then the question would be

"Show that \sin \theta = \frac{a}{b}\sqrt{c} where a, b and c are integers."

This avoids the sin^(-1) which isn't nice to have in an equation.

ReputationRep:
    Yes cosine rule is required
    Just realised my calculator was on radians which wasn't helping. Oh well, can't be bothered now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    Just realised my calculator was on radians which wasn't helping. Oh well, can't be bothered now
    Aww haha thanks for trying anyways

ReputationRep:
    Aww haha thanks for trying anyways
    It was a great question for what I did Sorry it's too late for maths for me, plus I'm pretty sure my working is wrong. I hope to see more of your questions!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A very, very good question - yes, I too have an issue with the diagram being misleading - however, a great test of ability.

Can I send you the answer to confirm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Can you post what you got?

If I was making the question I would probably say B\hat{C}A = \theta and then the question would be

"Show that \sin \theta = \frac{a}{b}\sqrt{c} where a, b and c are integers."

This avoids the sin^(-1) which isn't nice to have in an equation.
    I got this, is this correct, and how can I develop it into the final form a/b root c please?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.