The Student Room Group

The last few months before my GCSE's...

Poll

How do you best revise?

Hi, my name's Lucy and i'm currently in year 11 studying for my GCSE's. I started proper revision at the start of February and have now found this new competition that could help with revision plus make it a lot more enjoyable:smile:
I'm starting revision now as my mock grades weren't as good as i had hoped and i barely reached my target grades. i sat my mocks in November and got:

Mock Grade:

Maths-6, TG-7
English language-6, TG-7
English language-7, TG-7
Science-56, TG-66
R.E.-6, TG-6
History-4, TG-6
P.E.-6, TG-6

Luckily i got what i got the 40 points to get into sixth form (these aren't the real points though) but however i didn't get a 6 in all the subjects i want to study at a level: P.E., psychology and biology. I want to do these subjects as i want a job to do with sports science in the future or at least something to do with sport as that's pretty much all i do:biggrin:

I'll try and post on here at least once a week with news about my revision, grades and social life so stay tuned...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wow you did so well in your mocks i flopped mine
Original post by ._luke
wow you did so well in your mocks i flopped mine

Aha thanks, i did alright apart from science and history. It's quite annoying as i was writing solidly for the 90 minutes of the history mock and thought i knew what i was on about:biggrin:

I'm sure you did great, what did you get?
Original post by lucywb707_fs
Hi, my name's Lucy and i'm currently in year 11 studying for my GCSE's. I started proper revision at the start of February and have now found this new competition that could help with revision plus make it a lot more enjoyable:smile:
I'm starting revision now as my mock grades weren't as good as i had hoped and i barely reached my target grades. i sat my mocks in November and got:

Mock Grade:

Maths-6, TG-7
English language-6, TG-7
English language-7, TG-7
Science-56, TG-66
R.E.-6, TG-6
History-4, TG-6
P.E.-6, TG-6

Luckily i got what i got the 40 points to get into sixth form (these aren't the real points though) but however i didn't get a 6 in all the subjects i want to study at a level: P.E., psychology and biology. I want to do these subjects as i want a job to do with sports science in the future or at least something to do with sport as that's pretty much all i do:biggrin:

I'll try and post on here at least once a week with news about my revision, grades and social life so stay tuned...

Good luck!!!
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Good luck!!!

Thanks!
Have you already sat your exams?
Reply 5
maths 5
english lit 7
english lang 8
geography 5
history 4
biology 6
chemistry 4
physics 3
german 3

literally haven’t started revising reallyyyy need to
what do you study in history/english lit?
Good luck! You'll do fine, I'm sure.
Hello Lucy,
How much do you revise each day? What revision techniques do you find effective?
Good luck with your GCSEs
Thanks!
Have you already sat your exams?

Yes, I sat them last year, the relief when it will be over will be overwhelming for you x
Original post by ._luke
maths 5
english lit 7
english lang 8
geography 5
history 4
biology 6
chemistry 4
physics 3
german 3

literally haven’t started revising reallyyyy need to
what do you study in history/english lit?

Wow you got an 8! For English literature, i made a load of cue cards on 'an inspector calls' talking about the themes and including character quotes, for 'the sign of the four' i had no idea what to do as i didn't understand the book so i bought a guide of amazon which has all about the context and different characters which is pretty helpful, and for 'Macbeth' i haven't done anything for it yet.

For history i got an american west textbook and made a load of detailed notes on areas that i wasn't sure on but none of it came up in the mock. Iv'e recently bough a Norman and Saxon textbook as we're not allowed to borrow them and i'm doing practice questions out of it.
Yes, I sat them last year, the relief when it will be over will be overwhelming for you x

Yeah i'm sure it will:smile:
Yeah i'm sure it will:smile:

Have you thought about college and the choices you might want to take?
Have you thought about college and the choices you might want to take?

I want to study biology, psychology and p.e. at a level so i need to bring up my science grade to two 6's. i haven't applied to college yet but i probably will for a backup option.
Original post by bdemirhan
Hello Lucy,
How much do you revise each day? What revision techniques do you find effective?
Good luck with your GCSEs

Today i revise for around 2 hours but it varies, i spend quite a while on science as i find it the hardest but don't really bother with subjects like english. Tbh i haven't really found any revision techniques that useful. However, iv'e started writing science questions on cue cards and that seems to be going in my brain rather than just reading information and not writing anything down.
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Good luck! You'll do fine, I'm sure.

Thanks, so will you if you haven't taken them already:u:
Does anybody know how to add images to my posts as iv'e been trying and can't figure it out:biggrin: I keep pressing the icon of the 2 photos which is the third option along when i choose to reply but once i have selected my image and error message comes up saying that it cant connect to the server. It's been doing this for a couple of days now and i don't know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated:smile:
19th February 2017:

Today i got the results of my P.E. test and a chemistry test that i did:

I did the P.E. test before the half term holiday and i thought it went pretty well. It was all about the business side of sport and the relationship between the media and sponsors etc. It probably isn't the most interesting thing in the world but hay hoe, i felt like i did well on it. The test lasted for 1 hour and was out of 50 marks.

I scored 41 out of 50 (82%) which gave me a grade 8 overall which i was quite happy with but also kind of expecting.

I also did the chemistry test before the half term holiday but i found it a lot harder than the P.E. test. This was probably down to the fact that i naturally just don't like science that much plus the fact that i hadn't revised a lot. Overall, the test was only 30 minutes long and was out of 23 marks.

I scored 19 out of 23 (83%) which gave me a grade 9 overall! I was so amazed when i found out that i got a 9 as it was my first ever 9 in science and i actually did better than a lot of people in my class which was a total shock!

Tomorrow i will get my R.E. test back so i will tell you what i get...
20th February 2017:

Today i got my R.E. test back. It was based on Hinduism and included a 12 marker on cosmology. I found it quite hard when sitting the test as i hadn't revised so felt very under prepared but at the end of the day, the test was only half an hour long.

Overall, i got 21 out of 24 (88%) which was nearly as surprising as my science test score! My grade was equal to a 7+ :biggrin: I got full marks on the first 4 questions which in total was out of 12 marks and got 9 out of 12 on the 12 marker which i honestly thought i did so bad on. It is nice to actually be doing well for once and i hope this luck doesn't abandon me before the week until the most important exams of my life so far...
my mocks:

English lit - 7
English lang - 7
Maths - 8
Physics - 8
Chem - 9
Bio - 7
geog - 7
german - 8
computer science - 8
sociology - a
economics - a