Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some will say Ministers have seen sense. Others will complain of dumbing down.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/qts-rule-c...e-skills-test/

ReputationRep:
    I think they should have made changes based on why people are failing in the first place. Removing the timed mental arithmetic section would have been more helpful, as that seems to be what a lot of people struggle with in the numeracy test. Most people can do mental maths but it's a ridiculously short amount of time they give you to listen, understand, solve and enter the answer before the screen changes.

Also maybe longer times or a modified test for people with dyslexia. Besides that, I don't understand why anyone would need more than 3 attempts on either test.

ReputationRep:
    On a personal level I am pleased as I have mine in March and I’ve been revising and stressing like a mad person for the numeracy test. The major factor of my stress is the timed mental arithmetic. Failing it and then losing my chance of even starting pgce.

Now, some of the pressure is off.

ReputationRep:
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    I think they should have made changes based on why people are failing in the first place. Removing the timed mental arithmetic section would have been more helpful, as that seems to be what a lot of people struggle with in the numeracy test. Most people can do mental maths but it's a ridiculously short amount of time they give you to listen, understand, solve and enter the answer before the screen changes.

Also maybe longer times or a modified test for people with dyslexia. Besides that, I don't understand why anyone would need more than 3 attempts on either test.
    Agreed. But a key skill of teaching is being able to think on your feet. As a computing teacher, I did literacy with my form this morning and will be doing numeracy next week. It is seriously embarrassing when a low set Y7 beats you and arguably unprofessional.

The government are in a pickle because teaching is now so unappealing as a profession to many they are prepared to lower standards to scrape the bottom of the barrel. It will backfire.

ReputationRep:
    Would you really want a person who can't pass a mental maths test multiple times teach your child. I wouldn't
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Skyewoods)
    Would you really want a person who can't pass a mental maths test multiple times teach your child. I wouldn't
    Teaching them something like drama? Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Teaching maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, technology, IT and other subjects that require having basic numeracy skills. I'd be concerned if the teacher of these subjects can't pass a numeracy test on multiple occasions
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Teaching maths, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, technology, IT and other subjects that require having basic numeracy skills. I'd be concerned if the teacher of these subjects can't pass a numeracy test on multiple occasions
    But you're fine with subjects like art, English, languages and so on not requiring the numeracy test?

ReputationRep:
    But you're fine with subjects like art, English, languages and so on not requiring the numeracy test?
    You might not be aware that basic skills test have a numeracy and literacy part. This means an English test.

If a teacher wants to teach in a England but can't pass a basic literacy test how can they even teach English, languages and the other art subjects.

It is called a basic skills test for a reason. If you can't pass a test to teach 12 year olds then the children deserve a better teacher
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    You might not be aware that basic skills test have a numeracy and literacy part. This means an English test.

If a teacher wants to teach in a England but can't pass a basic literacy test how can they even teach English, languages and the other art subjects.

It is called a basic skills test for a reason. If you can't pass a test to teach 12 year olds then the children deserve a better teacher
    I am aware. And I said numeracy test specifically.

ReputationRep:
    I am aware. And I said numeracy test specifically.
    Are you suggesting that children should be taught by someone who can't answer questions the children can answer?

Teachers should be able to answer questions that the students can't. That's part of teaching. Why do you want to lower the standards of teaching?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Are you suggesting that children should be taught by someone who can't answer questions the children can answer?

Teachers should be able to answer questions that the students can't. That's part of teaching. Why do you want to lower the standards of teaching?
    I'm not suggesting anything. I asked you what numeracy skills had to do with art, or drama, or languages. I'm waiting on an answer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suggesting anything. I asked you what numeracy skills had to do with art, or drama, or languages. I'm waiting on an answer.
    You didn't answer my question. Should teachers know very basic maths and English to teach. Yes or no?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    You didn't answer my question. Should teachers know very basic maths and English to teach. Yes or no?
    I asked first.

To humour you, I think teachers knowing basic maths and English is definitely a good thing. Whether a drama teacher needs any maths ability at all though, I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    Every teacher needs to be numerate and have a basic understanding of data and statistics, this requires a basic understanding of number to be effective. Every school I have worked in teachers have had to sit through meetings where data is thrown at you which you need to be able to understand quickly. Teaching is more than what you see in a classroom and we should seek for teachers to engage with research and wider understanding of learning more, which would need basic numeracy.

The test is a basic measure of competence across the phases of teaching and they are not that difficult compared to some things you might use. Of course some allowances should be made for teachers with specific needs. If you can pass this test you can keep up with a Year 7 pupil. The tests effectively act as a filter on that, nothing more or less.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As a teacher, these days part of your job is handling data and interpreting statistics- which is part of what the numeracy test looks at. I agree in these subjects you might not need quick fire maths skills.

However, teachers with a secondary PGCE can transfer to primary or middle school teaching with no further qualifications. Obviously, a school might not employ them, but it's possible, so I support keeping the numeracy test for this reason.

Also, you may be asked to cover any lesson, including maths. A lot of students have an "I can't do maths" attitude, and I don't think it's ideal if any teacher passes this attitude on to them.

Honestly, there is nothing on the test that you can't do if you passed GCSE maths- which you need to become a teacher in England. Yeah, the test seems scary and stressful because your whole career is hanging on it, but I promise it's doable!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.