Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tried to report girl to police but I get interrogated? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You should have taken a photo and reported it anonymously to the police. In fact you can still do this.
    https://www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

Please don't feel bad, why should you sit idly by while someone breaks the law and doesn't care. I have no sympathy for the tax dodger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    If OP has done nothing wrong, why are they so afraid of the police asking questions about the incident they’re reporting? Even info as simple as the reg of the car they are reporting? Why feel worried that the police are going to “come for me” if they are just being an upstanding member of society? Something is off with the story, it’s not just me picking up on this.
    If a teacher accuses me of something false it's really not the end of the world but if the police start doing that then it's awful! You get treated like a criminal and they probe into your private life. A life I don't want anyone finding out about.

Maybe the guy is hiding something but to be fair I totally relate. It's a real shame he never managed to report the number-plate out of nervousness from THE SERVICES OUT THERE TO PROTECT US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    It's a financial nightmare if they crash into you!
    Hm. I suppose it must invalidate their insurance.

I think the poster was suggesting that it would have been actively risking other people's physical wellbeing if the girl were allowed to keep driving, though, as opposed to just their wallets. That's what I was picking up on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    How is it "sketchy" in any way? The other party should've had their tax and MOT, full stop. Justice served.
    How is it not sketchy??
    Justice not served, since OP didn’t give the police relevant information e.g. reg number.

Yes the other party should have had their tax, it doesn’t mean they deserve to have a stalker or old enemy trying to extract some kind of revenge on this person. OP didn’t have saintly intentions.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How is it not sketchy??
    Justice not served, since OP didn’t give the police relevant information e.g. reg number.

Yes the other party should have had their tax, it doesn’t mean they deserve to have a stalker or old enemy trying to extract some kind of revenge on this person. OP didn’t have saintly intentions.
    The other party shouldn't be on the roads full stop if they didn't have MOT or tax. The fact that you're defending someone which is risking other peoples lives on the road is "sketchy".

ReputationRep:
    How is it "sketchy" in any way? The other party should've had their tax and MOT, full stop. Justice served.
    It's not full stop just because you say it's full stop.

It can be true both that it was proper and desirable for the report to be made and that OP's behaviour was strange. There can be more than one aspect to a story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    If a teacher accuses me of something false it's really not the end of the world but if the police start doing that then it's awful! You get treated like a criminal and they probe into your private life. A life I don't want anyone finding out about.

Maybe the guy is hiding something but to be fair I totally relate. It's a real shame he never managed to report the number-plate out of nervousness from THE SERVICES OUT THERE TO PROTECT US.
    If there’s something in your private life that you need to hide from the authorities, that’s a biiig red flag.

If you call the police to report something but half way through realise that you’re exposed and hang up, OP probably isn’t much better a citizen than the untaxed car owner. If you’re innocent then you should have nothing to hide.

ReputationRep:
    If there’s something in your private life that you need to hide from the authorities, that’s a biiig red flag.

If you call the police to report something but half way through realise that you’re exposed and hang up, OP probably isn’t much better a citizen than the untaxed car owner. If you’re innocent then you should have nothing to hide.
    Okay, post up your entire facebook, whatsapp, snapchat history etc.

Nothing to hide, right?

I once had my teachers look through my entire facebook history over an incident and it remains to this day the worst thing that the teachers have done to me at school. Period.

They found nothing but it was sickening. I feel for OP!

ReputationRep:
    How is it not sketchy??
    Oh I see, you think the tax dodger should be let off the hook cos you don't like the guy reporting it.
    I totally disagree with you:
    1. the tax dodger should be reported, there is absolutely no excuse here.
    2. If the other guy is stalking then the tax dodger can that to the police.

ReputationRep:
    The other party shouldn't be on the roads full stop if they didn't have MOT or tax. The fact that you're defending someone which is risking other peoples lives on the road is "sketchy".
    I’m not defending them, what they did is wrong. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t question OP.

People aren’t good or bad. We’re a mixture of both, and we all make bad choices. Even OP did a good thing by attempting to report someone, they are still capable of bad and their sketchy behaviour should be questioned. The untaxed driver doing something bad doesn’t mean they should be put in danger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Congrats on being an aspie but do you really have to say "sounds utterly autistic" like it was an insult? Too many people are treating "autistic" as the new "retard".
    Thank you.
    Being autistic doesn't mean you're a retard.
    I think it means you are exceptionally cool.
    I'm a member of Mensa too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    Okay, post up your entire facebook, whatsapp, snapchat history etc.

Nothing to hide, right?

I once had my teachers look through my entire facebook history over an incident and it remains to this day the worst thing that the teachers have done to me at school. Period.

They found nothing but it was sickening. I feel for OP!
    A teacher or the internet are a different audience to the police. The police don’t care about a bad picture of you (which could turn into a meme if the internet got its hands on it) they care about criminal behaviour. It’s not like the police are going to bully you on an online forum.

If the police wants it, they can have full access to my life. I’ve got nothing to hide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukrj)
    Oh I see, you think the tax dodger should be let off the hook cos you don't like the guy reporting it.
    I totally disagree with you:
    1. the tax dodger should be reported, there is absolutely no excuse here.
    2. If the other guy is stalking then the tax dodger can that to the police.
    Again, the tax dodger should be reported and face up to what they’ve done. I don’t ‘not like’ the guy who reported it, I think his behaviour is suspicious. If he’s terrified of the police finding out who he is or looking into his life, that’s a red flag to me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Hm. I suppose it must invalidate their insurance.

I think the poster was suggesting that it would have been actively risking other people's physical wellbeing if the girl were allowed to keep driving, though, as opposed to just their wallets. That's what I was picking up on.
    Yes, it does invalidate any insurance they have.. if they have any, which is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    A Car not safe enough with no MOT should be put in a Crushah.

ReputationRep:
    Wow just wow. Sad little busy body with nothing else better to do than go round keeping tabs of peoples number plates, in this case a girl. I know rejection is tough dude but no need to be a little rat about it and go grassing her up to the feds because you can't deal with it. You know you remind of my friends nextdoor neighbour who reported someone for picking a daffodil from a public green. Prime examples of the cotton wool nanny state world we live in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    Wow just wow. Sad little busy body with nothing else better to do than go round keeping tabs of peoples number plates, in this case a girl. I know rejection is tough dude but no need to be a little rat about it and go grassing her up to the feds because you can't deal with it. You know you remind of my friends nextdoor neighbour who reported someone for picking a daffodil from a public green. Prime examples of the cotton wool nanny state world we live in.
    Picking a flower vs driving a car with no tax, MOT, or insurance... yeah...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priincee)
    then how about this argument:
    you're driving along, just being a generally good driver. youve never had an accident or been caught speeding or anything like that, but then another car rams into the back of you. now this could be a complete accident: maybe they overestimated a turn or just generally accidentally slammed into the back of you, or this could have been because theyre a completely incompetent driver. either way this hit means that you cant drive your car, and when you try to exchange insurance you find that they havent got any
    which now means that you have to pay for everything
    That's not how it works. In the case of an uninsured or untraced driver, the aggrieved party claims from the MiB - they do not have to pay themselves.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by pjm600)
    That's not how it works. In the case of an uninsured or untraced driver, the aggrieved party claims from the MiB - they do not have to pay themselves.
    In the short term, they do, or they'll be without a car. MIB claims take a VERY long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    You are an idiot.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.