Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Next year I will be applying for master courses in psychology and I was wondering what are/are not recommended considering I would like to go on to have her for for a dclinpsyc at a later date.

I have been looking at developmental and educational psychology at UCL but I am worried this will not be good as I will be questioned about why I choose an educational based masters rather than a more clinical one. I am also considering research methods as I have read many universities have a research heavy focus for applications and this would definitely help.

What masters have people taken and then gone on to successfully apply for a dclinpsyc or that they felt really helped them?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that mentions mental health or clinical in the title or description. I would go through and read all of the descriptions and see what the courses focus on. A few of the ones I applied for specified that it was catered toward people wanting to go into clinical psychology later.

Look at this one for example: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgrad...ology-msc.aspx

"We aim to equip you with the skills to apply the scientific and theoretical basis of health psychology using scholarly and critical
    approaches. We also provide formal training in quantitative and qualitative research methods so that you are able to evaluate, plan and conduct research. Clinical placements provide the opportunity to observe health psychology in practice and to learn basic clinical skills."

They will specify in the description what kind of people apply for these degrees and what their goals.

ReputationRep:
    Things to think about:

-Anything that gives you a chance to publish in peer reviewed journals. This will mark you out among the many applicants and while everyone will have some clinical experience, relatively few have published so it's more likely to catch the selectors eye when it comes to shortlisting.

- A course that gives you exposure to actual clinical psychologists (not just academic ones) and the work that they do. This is a major help when it comes to reflecting on the role and your suitability to it. Also anything that allows you to gain clinical supervision is invaluable.

- As many courses are moving to pre-interview selection tasks, anything that bolsters your ability to critically evaluate research at a high level is helpful as many of the selection tasks incorporate this skill. The research methods MSc at UCL is pretty good if you feel that this is an area that you are lacking in or similar.

That said, it's not mandatory. I never did an MSc and got on training, and nothing beats real life experience and reflective ability so makes sure you get this too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, both great advice. To be honest I am more worried about the experience than the academic side so yes I agree a master's that gives some practical experience is really something to look for.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.