Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink, however I still enjoy being sociable and going out.
    I'm worried that if I am in regular halls I might get left out because I don't drink. However, I've also heard that people in alcohol-free acommodation seem to have a reputation for being quieter, not so interested in going out etc, and I don't want to end up missing out on meeting people and having fun.
    Any advice/experience would be great - thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzy_20304)
    I'm worried that if I am in regular halls I might get left out because I don't drink. However, I've also heard that people in alcohol-free acommodation seem to have a reputation for being quieter, not so interested in going out etc, and I don't want to end up missing out on meeting people and having fun.
    Hi! Current student here. Unfortunately, the reputation you heard is unfortunately quite true, as the people who opt for these halls tend to not only want to avoid drinking but avoid drinking culture (Which includes nightlife) altogether. It's also harder to meet people as these people tend to be more private individuals. These are just general comments, but this is what I've experienced.

What I would suggest is to opt for the smaller halls, such as Rowe House, St German's, Nash Grove, and Mardon. I live in one of these halls and they're a lot quieter and less rowdy than Lawfrowda/Birks/Holland as we simply can't accommodate that many people. There isn't much peer pressure as a result, as numbers are smaller and there's less mob mentality.

Uni drinking culture is big, but it's all about finding the right people. I have quite a few friends that don't drink and no one forces them to, but I could consider myself lucky. And don't worry, freshers is not representative of the rest of your time here - everything calms down massively by January once friendship groups start solidly being formed. If they force you to drink, they're not going to be good friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayfex)
    Hi! Current student here. Unfortunately, the reputation you heard is unfortunately quite true, as the people who opt for these halls tend to not only want to avoid drinking but avoid drinking culture (Which includes nightlife) altogether. It's also harder to meet people as these people tend to be more private individuals. These are just general comments, but this is what I've experienced.

What I would suggest is to opt for the smaller halls, such as Rowe House, St German's, Nash Grove, and Mardon. I live in one of these halls and they're a lot quieter and less rowdy than Lawfrowda/Birks/Holland as we simply can't accommodate that many people. There isn't much peer pressure as a result, as numbers are smaller and there's less mob mentality.

Uni drinking culture is big, but it's all about finding the right people. I have quite a few friends that don't drink and no one forces them to, but I could consider myself lucky. And don't worry, freshers is not representative of the rest of your time here - everything calms down massively by January once friendship groups start solidly being formed. If they force you to drink, they're not going to be good friends
    Hi! I am in a similar position and was considering Birks Grange townhouses. Would you say they’re quite similar to the atmosphere at Birks Grange Village/Lawfrowda?
    I was also debating between standard and ensuite and wondered if you have any views on this? Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F3rnw3h)
    Hi! I am in a similar position and was considering Birks Grange townhouses. Would you say they’re quite similar to the atmosphere at Birks Grange Village/Lawfrowda?
    I was also debating between standard and ensuite and wondered if you have any views on this? Thankyou!
    I live on the other side of campus from Birks so I wouldn't really know, I don't know anyone in the townhouses but from what I know they seem pretty nice and I reckon that they must be quite sociable. I know the townhouses in Point Exe and they're a lot of fun due to their size. Really the only upper hand Lawfrowda has is its location being ideal for pres (Birks is ageeesss away and downhill from most clubs)

I have an ensuite and I enjoy the privacy of it. It's also nice as you can choose how much chunder you have in them That being said, you do have to clean them yourself which can be daunting, whilst standard toilets get cleaned every 3 days or so. People in standard have said that they haven't had any problems. I enjoy having an ensuite as it means I can store all my stuff there rather than bring it over, and I can take my time showering.

ReputationRep:
    >Starts university
    >Alcohol free accomodation
    >gets cravings
    >sets up a disitillery
    >bootlegger now
    >running from the university security
    >Prohibition 2k18

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzy_20304)
    If you still want to go out then stay in normal halls and just don't drink. No one will force you or leave you out. Just make sure you're not judgemental of those who do drink alcohol.
    You'll still meet people in regular halls who aren't big drinkers but they're more likely to be normal friendly and sociable people than those who have opted for alcohol-free.
    A few of my friends don't drink that much because of medication or because they just don't fancy it. Or sometimes they have an early start and don't want to be hungover. No one thinks anything of it. Some nights out I'm barely tipsy. E.g. if I've eaten too much or had a rushed pre drinks or the queues at the bar are too long. I'll still have a good time though.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.