Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me and the bf want to get a studio flat, he works full time and I will be a full-time undergraduate student. Would he be allowed to live in student accommodation( same room as me , sharing studio flat) if he isn't a student at a university ? If not , and we would need to find another studio flat further from the uni, could I have some recommendations please . Uni will be in Cambridge . If you have gone through the same experience , how did it turn out?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Danielacp)
    Me and the bf want to get a studio flat, he works full time and I will be a full-time undergraduate student. Would he be allowed to live in student accommodation( same room as me , sharing studio flat) if he isn't a student at a university ? If not , and we would need to find another studio flat further from the uni, could I have some recommendations please . Uni will be in Cambridge . If you have gone through the same experience , how did it turn out?
    99.99999999% No.

Uni wont allow it.
    Private halls wont allow it.

A private LL may .

just get him to use spare room and then ist finding soemwhere close enough he can afford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    99.99999999% No.

Uni wont allow it.
    Private halls wont allow it.

A private LL may .

just get him to use spare room and then ist finding soemwhere close enough he can afford.

what if its not the uni's accommodation? ill be studying at anglia ruskin uni in cambridge, but i found a studio apartment at the railyard which looks amazing and its private.
    Would i have to speak to the landlord and would the bf have to pay tax if it is allowed do you think?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    what if its not the uni's accommodation? ill be studying at anglia ruskin uni in cambridge, but i found a studio apartment at the railyard which looks amazing and its private.
    Would i have to speak to the landlord and would the bf have to pay tax if it is allowed do you think?
    Look at the terms of the lease/ licence. It may or may not permit shared occupation.

If its not specifically stuydent tbhhen you still need LLs consent unless the licence/ lease already allows it.

If the bf lives there then he would be liable for Council tax as if he was the only person living there, but he would get single persons discount. You would be exempt.

If you decide not to tell them and they find out then you would be in breach of the lease and they could fine you or evict you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Look at the terms of the lease/ licence. It may or may not permit shared occupation.

If its not specifically stuydent tbhhen you still need LLs consent unless the licence/ lease already allows it.

If the bf lives there then he would be liable for Council tax as if he was the only person living there, but he would get single persons discount. You would be exempt.

If you decide not to tell them and they find out then you would be in breach of the lease and they could fine you or evict you.
    Thank you ill have a look. aaaha i was not planning on sneaking him in, dont want any trouble. if it doesnt allow it we will find something different. thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look to see if they have options for couples as this would permit non students to stay as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fresher18)
    Have a look to see if they have options for couples as this would permit non students to stay as well
    Couples rooms in student accommodation are still usually only for student couples. I had the same situation.

OP it's very hard to find somewhere for a student and non student to live toegther. You'll be better looking for a private let somewhere so just look on local letting sites.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a full time student living with my parter who works full time. We live in student accomodation through a student agency - not university halls. My landlord is fine with the situation as my partner still pays the rent, deposit etc. and other student agencies were fine with this too when we enquired about it.

The only difference is that the household won't be fully exempt from council tax. I'm exempt, and my partner gets a 25% discount on council tax - we just split it between us to make it fair.

I was worried about how it would work out and whether we would be allowed, but it worked out quite smoothly. I live in York though, so it may vary differently for other cities.

Edit: just to add, we live in a 2 bedroom property with no other students living with us.

ReputationRep:
    Currently I’m living at Railyard and their policy is not officially yes or no. However I know of a few couple who do so. However one thing the manager does say is when inspected. Try and make it appear that he is visiting rather than staying. They are pretty accommodating as long as you are open with them and polite. And yes, Railyard is amazing!!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.