Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dropped out of Uni 2 years ago, wondering if I should try again watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 right now, will be 21 in March, so I qualify as a "mature" student right? Not that mature is a word I'd ever use to describe myself.

Failed my first year of Uni and just never tried again. I studied Philosophy at Manchester Metropolitan. The course didn't interest me and I was **** at it. No one to blame but myself really. Now it's been 2 whole years. I've been volunteering for the past year while looking for work. Just wondering if I should try Uni again but... I dunno, I don't know if it's worth it or not. I know I'd probably study English, not the most useful or impressive of degrees, but I also don't know what I'd do after University, aside from look for a job. Not that I know what job I want or even what jobs there are. I'm just totally stuck on what to do. I guess I'd appreciate any input, as harsh and as real as you can get please. If you don't think I'm cut out for Uni again, I'll just go back to job searching and stuff, maybe apprenticeships instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleOctopi)
    I'm 20 right now, will be 21 in March, so I qualify as a "mature" student right? Not that mature is a word I'd ever use to describe myself.

Failed my first year of Uni and just never tried again. I studied Philosophy at Manchester Metropolitan. The course didn't interest me and I was **** at it. No one to blame but myself really. Now it's been 2 whole years. I've been volunteering for the past year while looking for work. Just wondering if I should try Uni again but... I dunno, I don't know if it's worth it or not. I know I'd probably study English, not the most useful or impressive of degrees, but I also don't know what I'd do after University, aside from look for a job. Not that I know what job I want or even what jobs there are. I'm just totally stuck on what to do. I guess I'd appreciate any input, as harsh and as real as you can get please. If you don't think I'm cut out for Uni again, I'll just go back to job searching and stuff, maybe apprenticeships instead.
    Unless you are really interested in studying a subject in depth for its own sake, don't apply to uni just for the sake of it. An apprenticeship might be a much better option for you at this stage. Better to hold on to your student loan entitlement until there is something you really do want to study - it might be twenty or even thirty years before you know what that is. In the meantime a good apprenticeship will give you marketable skills and also broaden your horizons.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

You still have funding left for a full degree dont waste it.

You arent really mature and you cna go anytime in the rest of your life.

1. Dont go until you really know the subject that you have a passion for and you need a degree.

2. Go to the best uni you can even if it means a foundation year or sitting anither A level etc.

Until then dont waste your money and be patient. If you make a mistake next time then funding is most likely not abailable after that so you must get it right. Apprenticeship or job is fine and do careers research as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-You-Ar...E8QZSKC4MEEAXN

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-...ZGZ1X05YTCBGS4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Unless you are really interested in studying a subject in depth for its own sake, don't apply to uni just for the sake of it. An apprenticeship might be a much better option for you at this stage. Better to hold on to your student loan entitlement until there is something you really do want to study - it might be twenty or even thirty years before you know what that is. In the meantime a good apprenticeship will give you marketable skills and also broaden your horizons.
    I was about to suggest degree apprenticeships! Anyone can go to university at any age, whereas a degree apprenticeship is a once in a lifetime opportunity to earn a salary, get paid while you learn, and study towards a Bachelor's degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toy Soldiers)
    I was about to suggest degree apprenticeships! Anyone can go to university at any age, whereas a degree apprenticeship is a once in a lifetime opportunity to earn a salary, get paid while you learn, and study towards a Bachelor's degree.
    What sort of degree apprenticeships are there?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    What sort of degree apprenticeships are there?
    Hi PurpleOctopi,

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience when studying at MMU previously. You may be interested to hear that we have a number of degree apprenticeships, in areas such as Business Management, Digital Marketing, Digital Technology Solutions, Chemical Science and more - you can find lots of info on them here

If you're unsure of what you want to do after your degree, it may be worth speaking to a careers advisor from the National Careers Service, who may be able to offer you advice. Their contact details can be found here.

Give us a shout if you have any questions

Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University)
    Hi PurpleOctopi,

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience when studying at MMU previously. You may be interested to hear that we have a number of degree apprenticeships, in areas such as Business Management, Digital Marketing, Digital Technology Solutions, Chemical Science and more - you can find lots of info on them here

If you're unsure of what you want to do after your degree, it may be worth speaking to a careers advisor from the National Careers Service, who may be able to offer you advice. Their contact details can be found here.

Give us a shout if you have any questions

Matt
    Thank you, I wouldn't say my experience was negative, just that I failed to make the most of it. I looked at the degree apprenticeships offered, and while digital marketing does sound interesting, I don't know if I can start that with no real background in that area.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you, I wouldn't say my experience was negative, just that I failed to make the most of it. I looked at the degree apprenticeships offered, and while digital marketing does sound interesting, I don't know if I can start that with no real background in that area.
    You wouldn't necessarily need a background in Digital Marketing in order to apply for this course - we'd just need 104-112 points at A2 (Grades BCC) or an equivalent e.g. BTEC DMM, as well as GCSE English Language and Maths at C or above. Although any work experience you might be able to gain in the area would enhance your application, this isn't a hard and fast requirement

Feel free to get in touch with any more questions, or you can contact our Apprenticeships Team on [email protected] or 0161 247 6043

Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University)
    You wouldn't necessarily need a background in Digital Marketing in order to apply for this course - we'd just need 104-112 points at A2 (Grades BCC) or an equivalent e.g. BTEC DMM, as well as GCSE English Language and Maths at C or above. Although any work experience you might be able to gain in the area would enhance your application, this isn't a hard and fast requirement

Feel free to get in touch with any more questions, or you can contact our Apprenticeships Team on [email protected] or 0161 247 6043

Matt
    My A-Levels were at CCD (yet I somehow still got on a philosophy course), but I've got a few NVQs now, in addition to some work experience, so I wonder if that would add up. I was thinking of calling into MMU in person actually, is there anywhere I can ask for advice in person, or is email/telephone the best method?

Either way, thank you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    My A-Levels were at CCD (yet I somehow still got on a philosophy course), but I've got a few NVQs now, in addition to some work experience, so I wonder if that would add up. I was thinking of calling into MMU in person actually, is there anywhere I can ask for advice in person, or is email/telephone the best method?

Either way, thank you.
    With A Levels at CCD you do fall below 104-112 UCAS points. However if you have work experience then I would definitely recommend contacting our Apprenticeships team to discuss whether you work experience would be taken into account. They can be contacted at [email protected] or 0161 247 6043.

We don't usually offer face to face appointments so I would recommend phoning or emailing in the first instance to have a chat with them.

Hope this helps

Rebecca

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.