Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you respond to strangers to approaching you? watch

Say you’re in a bar and someone approches you and says hello or tries to start a converstion with you, how do you respond? Do act friendly and engage or do you try to blank and ignore them?

Does how you act depend on loacation? I.e would your response be different to the approacher if you were out shopping compared to at a bar with your mates?

Does the gender of the person approaching you alter your response - so say you’re a girl and a random guy says hello to you, are you more likely to blank the guy than if it was a random girl saying hello?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Say you’re in a bar and someone approches you and says hello or tries to start a converstion with you, how do you respond? Do act friendly and engage or do you try to blank and ignore them?

Does how you act depend on loacation? I.e would your response be different to the approacher if you were out shopping compared to at a bar with your mates?

Does the gender of the person approaching you alter your response - so say you’re a girl and a random guy says hello to you, are you more likely to blank the guy than if it was a random girl saying hello?
    It depends on things like the location, how they try to approach me, etc.

5 years ago, I was out with a group. This was my second time with them and by that point, I think I'd talked to about 4, maybe 5 people. Someone (who'd I'd never talked to) approached me. He seemed friendly enough and was clearly just trying to make conversation with me, therefore, I decided I had no reason to blank him. We're now pretty close.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Pretend to be busy on my phone.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Who the **** just blanks someone who's talking to them?

How would you respond in these two scenarios?

1) you’re in a queue in a shop and someone behind says “hi, how’s your day going?”

2) you’re in a pub and someone asks if they can sit with you and chat

ReputationRep:
    RKO outta nowhere

ReputationRep:
    "Hey there Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!"
    Followed by a STUNNER

ReputationRep:
    i am like "stranger danger" :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    i never really know what to do. I dunno if you guys learn about strangers in primary school but i went to primary in different countries. I don't remember any strangers approaching me back then. But when i was in my 1st year of college (i was 16 at the time) on the way home i got some milk from the corner shops i was walking home with the milk in my hand and a stranger walking asked me if there was a shop near by i just told him the way and then i was walking back down to my house touched me on the shoulder and turned me the right way saying i was going the wrong way when i wasn't i know where my house is i just gave a odd look with my face like what you doing and then he just went off and stopped doing stuff. So i dunno what he was doing or if he got scared by something else or didn't want to attract attention if i shouted anything if he kept doing something i would of just kicked him in self defense or tried to go to my neighbours or shouted.

My area is quite good to be honest:
    1. Living on a hill some of my neighbours work as police (which i think is why nothing really happens much in my area)
    2. There's 2 corner shops near by.
    3. theres 2 stops by me. So i could always go tell a bus driver and catch a bus as my last resort.
    4. There's a mini town centre 10 mins away.

Another time: Beggining of 2017 i was carrying my old bike up the steps and another man carrying his bike up the steps grabbed my bike saddle and lifted my bike up and i just looked at him like what you doing and pulled my bike away from his hand. (because i'm aware of bike thefts being common in my area) (if he didn't let go i would of hit his hand so he automatically let go) but he just let go and walked away quickly. So either he got scared or didn't want to attract attention of the BTP (British transport police) just walking around or he just realised if he did anything i could easily go to the police station as it's only 10 mins walk from the main town.

These are the only times i've been approached by strangers.

if anyone knows what they were trying to do could you explain?

(If it's on a bus and some starts talking i know there just trying to start a converstation as obviously no one would do something stupid on a bus unless they were drunk because there's CCTV and the bus driver would eventually intervene if something bad did happen.)
    Dunno about trains but i'm guessing it would probs be same as buses because if people are being stupid on a train i assume that's why we have BTP (British transport police)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.