Turn on thread page Beta

What’s it like to pass the teenage years? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Near the end of 2018 I’ll turn 20. Was wondering what’s it like to not be a teen anymore. Does it feel any different?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I was pretty much the same person at 18 as I was at 23. All I was interested in besides work was playing snooker or drinking and going out trying to pick up shlags. I basically went through a personally shift from 16-18 and started to settle down a bit at 23, but my adolescent years and early 20s looked pretty much the same.

ReputationRep:
    Urmm.... more maturity, less crappy people, less stress, more educated decisions, you less difficulty in things we worry about (like P.E.) you probs wouldn't worry about that anymore but teenagers tend to be cringey, over-the-top and dramatic unless your one of those kids that grew up to be an angel? And the most important thing, you don't need to hide much from parents which must be totally awesome!

Damn I wish I was 20... what's it like entering adulthood?

x
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    I was pretty much the same person at 18 as I was at 23. All I was interested in besides work was playing snooker or drinking and going out trying to pick up shlags. I basically went through a personally shift from 16-18 and started to settle down a bit at 23, but my adolescent years and early 20s looked pretty much the same.
    Yeah thought so man. In terms of the number on paper though, did it feel good or kinda shite that you passed nineteen?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by queenmeelzx)
    Urmm.... more maturity, less crappy people, less stress, more educated decisions, you less difficulty in things we worry about (like P.E.) you probs wouldn't worry about that anymore but teenagers tend to be cringey, over-the-top and dramatic unless your one of those kids that grew up to be an angel? And the most important thing, you don't need to hide much from parents which must be totally awesome!

Damn I wish I was 20... what's it like entering adulthood?

x
    I’m not the typical teenager though so those things dissapeared from my life back when I was 16. I’m honestly living life like a 30 year old...which I have no clue if it’s good or worrying lol. Idk how to feel about turning 20 though, knowing me I’ll probably feel gloomy

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't at all arsed, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    I’m not the typical teenager though so those things dissapeared from my life back when I was 16. I’m honestly living life like a 30 year old...which I have no clue if it’s good or worrying lol. Idk how to feel about turning 20 though, knowing me I’ll probably feel gloomy
    ...you go to uni though, right?

Lool, I think it's just because of the school i'm in that almost every girl/guy is like that. The behaviours at my school honestly disgust me, kmt!!

And, gloomy? At 20?! Really?
    I want to be 20 so bad, i'll be having a degree in Law living in an apartment in Edinburgh where i'm going to go to Law school
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by queenmeelzx)
    ...you go to uni though, right?

Lool, I think it's just because of the school i'm in that almost every girl/guy is like that. The behaviours at my school honestly disgust me, kmt!!

And, gloomy? At 20?! Really?
    I want to be 20 so bad, i'll be having a degree in Law living in an apartment in Edinburgh where i'm going to go to Law school
    Yeah I do. But I mean my personality, it’s really mature for my age. I generally don’t really enjoy the company of people my age or similar because they are too immature.

& cool. Good luck Personally I find living alone to be alright, nothing that exciting though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I wasn't at all arsed, to be honest.
    It’s a milestone, but yeah tbh it doesn’t sound exciting. Quite the opposite actually haha

ReputationRep:
    It’s a milestone, but yeah tbh it doesn’t sound exciting. Quite the opposite actually haha
    I was in work for my 20th so it was just another day, ha.

ReputationRep:
    I loved turning 20, being a teenager was a horrible experience for me so not having the title anymore felt like a nice step forward.

I don’t think anyone ever really feels different on birthdays, but I did feel happier being 20 and further away from my past :yep:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less. The teens were an awkward period in my life and I'm finally starting to overcome S.A which has crippled my ability to form relationships for years. It's like regaining a lost sense.

ReputationRep:
    I feel this too. I worked full time from when I was 17 and most of my friends are late 20’s early 30’s so I haven’t really felt like a teenager since I was in school at 16.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah thought so man. In terms of the number on paper though, did it feel good or kinda shite that you passed nineteen?
    Didn't feel any different tbh, I didn't feel like a teenager by that point anyway so it was just another year on the clock, still same old me :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do. But I mean my personality, it’s really mature for my age. I generally don’t really enjoy the company of people my age or similar because they are too immature.

& cool. Good luck Personally I find living alone to be alright, nothing that exciting though.
    I really can't imagine people at 20 being immature! But if you enjoy your own company, that's still pretty cool

Your extremely lucky to be this age, you don't know how much I am looking forward to uni omg! And living in your own place, going to uni, studying away from home, I find that a dream.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's like reducing a high contrast image. Everything becomes more..."normal".

That said, I would not consider a 20 year old any more mature than a 17-19 year old generally. In fact based on experience, most people don't start acting "like an adult" (exactly what that means, and whether it is actually indicative of anything, is certainly up for debate) until they hit 23-24 or so. Also it is a gradual experience, you don't suddenly just wake up with a mortgage and 2.5 children one day

ReputationRep:
    You don't get to be called a teenager no more.

So that's always a plus

Spoiler:
    Show

Just watch your next insurance premiums half

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.