Turn on thread page Beta

Coffee, Tears and 3 B's at A-Level watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, here we are guys! First post time... This is going to be awkward. Like when you match with someone on Tinder and have to try and think of something better to say than just "Hi. What's up?"... "Nm, you?"... I don't need to go on anymore. So, I'm James. I'm waving, but you can see me. That's sad. Anyway, I'm 17 studying my A-Levels at Newcastle Sixth Form College, which is on top of the biggest hill in Newcastle. You need more motivation to get there than you do to actually pass the A-Levels. My chosen subjects are Computer Science, English Literature and Drama. What a fun mix of things. Most of the time I do really enjoy college and try my best to have as much fun as possible and try and 'Grow My Grades', however occasionally I might just sit in the cafe with a large caramel latte and have a meltdown about how many words I haven't written in my English coursework, or how I have so much more work to do to my Computer Science project, and there is only a month left! *sigh*

So AS Levels... they were hard. I drank an excessive amount of coffee, slept in during most of my free periods and told everyone I was studying when really I was just picking up extra shifts at work for more money. Oh, I forgot to mention i work part-time at McDonalds. Yeah, don't judge me. It may come with some stereotypes, but the pay is good, I can take holidays anytime I like, and I get a free McDonalds every shift. If you have a problem with free McDonalds, then something is very wrong. Despite all of this, I got CCBB at AS Level. The B's in Drama and Computing, leaving me with C grades in English Literature and English Language. The great thing with a linear A-Level is that these grades mean nothing, and that upsets me.

So, now I'm halfway through A-Levels, and have been drinking more coffee than ever. I worked out the other day I spend between £60-£70 on Starbucks every month. Please send help. Now, you are probably thinking, "Why does he only want 3 B's and not higher". Well, good friend, even though I got the grades I did at AS, in my mocks for A-level I tend to get solid C grades, although, I did get my first U in English at the start of the year, and then had a depression session for about a week because of it. The reason I want 3 B grades is that my firm choice university, Northumbria University, want's me to get those grades, simple. I also love to spend money and want to try and get a bursary for my degree. If I get my BBB, then I also get an extra £4,000 in my pocket from some magical pot of money... somewhere. So, those are my incentives, get into uni and have some money to blow on Freshers Week and coffee.

I'm pretty new to this whole 'write about your life and make it sound interesting' idea called blogging, so bear with me. I will probably end up sharing some photos with you of how good or bad my life is going on my epic journey to getting 3 B's. I will also show you lots of coffee photos, that is guaranteed.

So, I'm going to keep doing this until results day. You never know, it might inspire the writer in me. We will have to see. Well, it was nice to meet you and don't forget to pop back soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesInABox)
    Well, here we are guys! First post time... This is going to be awkward. Like when you match with someone on Tinder and have to try and think of something better to say than just "Hi. What's up?"... "Nm, you?"... I don't need to go on anymore. So, I'm James. I'm waving, but you can see me. That's sad. Anyway, I'm 17 studying my A-Levels at Newcastle Sixth Form College, which is on top of the biggest hill in Newcastle. You need more motivation to get there than you do to actually pass the A-Levels. My chosen subjects are Computer Science, English Literature and Drama. What a fun mix of things. Most of the time I do really enjoy college and try my best to have as much fun as possible and try and 'Grow My Grades', however occasionally I might just sit in the cafe with a large caramel latte and have a meltdown about how many words I haven't written in my English coursework, or how I have so much more work to do to my Computer Science project, and there is only a month left! *sigh*

So AS Levels... they were hard. I drank an excessive amount of coffee, slept in during most of my free periods and told everyone I was studying when really I was just picking up extra shifts at work for more money. Oh, I forgot to mention i work part-time at McDonalds. Yeah, don't judge me. It may come with some stereotypes, but the pay is good, I can take holidays anytime I like, and I get a free McDonalds every shift. If you have a problem with free McDonalds, then something is very wrong. Despite all of this, I got CCBB at AS Level. The B's in Drama and Computing, leaving me with C grades in English Literature and English Language. The great thing with a linear A-Level is that these grades mean nothing, and that upsets me.

So, now I'm halfway through A-Levels, and have been drinking more coffee than ever. I worked out the other day I spend between £60-£70 on Starbucks every month. Please send help. Now, you are probably thinking, "Why does he only want 3 B's and not higher". Well, good friend, even though I got the grades I did at AS, in my mocks for A-level I tend to get solid C grades, although, I did get my first U in English at the start of the year, and then had a depression session for about a week because of it. The reason I want 3 B grades is that my firm choice university, Northumbria University, want's me to get those grades, simple. I also love to spend money and want to try and get a bursary for my degree. If I get my BBB, then I also get an extra £4,000 in my pocket from some magical pot of money... somewhere. So, those are my incentives, get into uni and have some money to blow on Freshers Week and coffee.

I'm pretty new to this whole 'write about your life and make it sound interesting' idea called blogging, so bear with me. I will probably end up sharing some photos with you of how good or bad my life is going on my epic journey to getting 3 B's. I will also show you lots of coffee photos, that is guaranteed.

So, I'm going to keep doing this until results day. You never know, it might inspire the writer in me. We will have to see. Well, it was nice to meet you and don't forget to pop back soon.
    Coffee :love: How do you take yours?

ReputationRep:
    This was actually interesting cause I share some of the struggles you experience . Looking forward to be part of your journey

ReputationRep:

Hi, I hope you do really well and I'll be watching this! Do you mind if I tag you in my GYG blog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Hi, I hope you do really well and I'll be watching this! Do you mind if I tag you in my GYG blog?
    Sure, tag me. That's okay.

ReputationRep:
    Large Latte. 2 Sugars. Caramel or Vanilla Syrup is a bonus.

(Original post by Fox Corner)
    Coffee :love: How do you take yours?

ReputationRep:
    Today I decided to focus on my study tools. I went on a shopping spree and bought everything from notepads to flashcards. One item I also bought was Apple AirPods. I think they are great for students. I will wear them for a week and then write a review, but after my first study session with them, things are great.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I love your posts! I'll definitely be watching this blog
    Good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    So recently I have hit a block when it comes to motivation, so today I decided I would create a new study space. So instead of working in my room, I went to Argos and bought a new desk and chair, then spent 3 hours building it all. Im very sore but now have a new desk setup in my conservatory, with my mac and files all being kept down here. I feel like a brand new space to study that isnt 3cm away from my bed might inspire me to study and now just sleep, i will let you know.

Update on the Apple AirPods. They are AMAZING. Best things I ever bought.

Thats it for this week. Have an amazing week guys and have fun trying to do well at those A-Levels, GCSE's BTEC's or whatever your doing,

ReputationRep:
    A fellow Starbucks addict! I don’t spend as much as I’ve stopped leaving the house back in November . Good luck with your exams! I run my own GYG which I neglect so hopefully I remember to check this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with aiming for BBB at A Level. I think they are good grades and obviously will get you to where you want to study! Sometimes when I was revising I found it useful to get out of the house (too many distractions and I could focus better). Do you have a library you could go to, or you could go to Starbucks!

ReputationRep:
    So recently I have hit a block when it comes to motivation, so today I decided I would create a new study space. So instead of working in my room, I went to Argos and bought a new desk and chair, then spent 3 hours building it all. Im very sore but now have a new desk setup in my conservatory, with my mac and files all being kept down here. I feel like a brand new space to study that isnt 3cm away from my bed might inspire me to study and now just sleep, i will let you know.

Update on the Apple AirPods. They are AMAZING. Best things I ever bought.

Thats it for this week. Have an amazing week guys and have fun trying to do well at those A-Levels, GCSE's BTEC's or whatever your doing,
    Ooh can you post a pic of your new study space? And what do the Apple AirPods do?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I decided I would start a YouTube channel. *sighs* I thought I might as well I have been meaning to do it for a while. There is a silly video about the snow in the UK on there right now, but I will be making videos about my student experience and growing my grades in the run up to my a levels and then while at uni.

Come on the journey with me. Watch my first video and subscribe to the channel. It would mean a lot and it’s a better way to see me become the student I wanna be haha

https://youtu.be/gpV_AXGZ3XE

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Just added my youtube channel advert to the top of this thread. Take a look and subscribe! Thanks xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just added my youtube channel advert to the top of this thread. Take a look and subscribe! Thanks xx
    :woo: would definitely subscribe if i had a youtube account!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.