Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I want to do A level Classics but I am a bit worried
    Could you please share your experiences if you have done this?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Danilo2001)
    Hey,
    Look at the spec to see if it interests you.

Its a mix between History and Literature. Good fun.

Some classics has a language element such as Greek or Latin.

Example.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/class...ec-at-a-glance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Look at the spec to see if it interests you.

Its a mix between History and Literature. Good fun.

Some classics has a language element such as Greek or Latin.

Example.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/class...ec-at-a-glance
    Thank you
    Did you do it?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thank you
    Did you do it?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Yes.
    Can you tell me your experiences of it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Hey! I'm in my second year and I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed Classics. I wouldn't worry too much about the Greek and Latin element as you're mostly working with English translations and it's pretty self explanatory. Depending on what units your college chooses to do, there are quite a few guides and books you can find to help with analysis of the material.

In regards to the exams, I've found the ones I've sat to be fine. It's a little more relaxed than English Lit as you don't have to worry about including direct quotes and in first year, the exam papers have bullet points to help you plan what to include in your essay.

If you have any more questions, let me know!

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 12 and I absolutely love classics. At the moment I'm studying the Imperial Image and Odyssey modules so I can only speak about them, I don't know which modules your school/college does.
    I personally find it really interesting and it's a great mix of History and English (which I also study). The course approaches facts from an entirely unique perspective that makes you think really hard about people's perceptions of propaganda and subliminal messages both in the ancient world and today; for example I've noticed that politicians and big businesses use the same techniques to persuade people as ancient Roman politicians did.
    It is also highly recognised by top universities- while attending open days for law I have seen classics on their 'desired a level subjects' list, so even if you aren't interested in law it shows that Oxbridge and Russel Group unis know about the subject and want students with the skills that classics provides.

At the end of the day its up to you, I'd recommend having a look at the specifications online and talking to the classics teachers at your school/college to see if you think you'd be interested in studying it for a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssammmy)
    Hey! I'm in my second year and I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed Classics. I wouldn't worry too much about the Greek and Latin element as you're mostly working with English translations and it's pretty self explanatory. Depending on what units your college chooses to do, there are quite a few guides and books you can find to help with analysis of the material.

In regards to the exams, I've found the ones I've sat to be fine. It's a little more relaxed than English Lit as you don't have to worry about including direct quotes and in first year, the exam papers have bullet points to help you plan what to include in your essay.

If you have any more questions, let me know!
    Thank you! I enjoy learning the most about Roman/greek lifestyles (e.g. education), do you get to learn a lot about that at A level or is it mostly literature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xemilygriffithsx)
    Im in year 12 and I absolutely love classics. At the moment I'm studying the Imperial Image and Odyssey modules so I can only speak about them, I don't know which modules your school/college does.
    I personally find it really interesting and it's a great mix of History and English (which I also study). The course approaches facts from an entirely unique perspective that makes you think really hard about people's perceptions of propaganda and subliminal messages both in the ancient world and today; for example I've noticed that politicians and big businesses use the same techniques to persuade people as ancient Roman politicians did.
    It is also highly recognised by top universities- while attending open days for law I have seen classics on their 'desired a level subjects' list, so even if you aren't interested in law it shows that Oxbridge and Russel Group unis know about the subject and want students with the skills that classics provides.

At the end of the day its up to you, I'd recommend having a look at the specifications online and talking to the classics teachers at your school/college to see if you think you'd be interested in studying it for a year or two.
    Thank you! I enjoy learning the most about Roman/greek lifestyles (e.g. education), do you get to learn a lot about that at A level or is it mostly literature?

ReputationRep:
    hiya, I'm currently in my first year of a level classics and so far I've seen that it is mainly the literature. you may learn more about roman/greek lifestyles to supplement the texts but it's not the main focus (although that could just be the board we are doing (OCR)). it's still really good though and really fun.

ReputationRep:
    My exam board (OCR) does focus mainly on literature but we learn a fair amount about lifestyles so we can understand how the literature would be received by a contemporary audience.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.