Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni and have been asked to think about my plans after graduating. I don't know what I want to do, I've never had any career in mind. I know I don't want to work in anything related to my degree subject (Biology) but besides that....

I thought if I could work out the things that motivate me then I could start thinking about what sort of jobs (not necessarily lifelong careers, but things that might move me in the right direction to finding job satisfaction) fit me.

I don't know what sort of things are classed as 'motivators' though, I guess a lot of people have things like money or recognition as things that drive them but neither of those things are really what I'm after (in abundance at least, obviously I want money so I can survive).

What sort of questions should I be asking myself? What motivates you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    I'm at uni and have been asked to think about my plans after graduating. I don't know what I want to do, I've never had any career in mind. I know I don't want to work in anything related to my degree subject (Biology) but besides that....

I thought if I could work out the things that motivate me then I could start thinking about what sort of jobs (not necessarily lifelong careers, but things that might move me in the right direction to finding job satisfaction) fit me.

I don't know what sort of things are classed as 'motivators' though, I guess a lot of people have things like money or recognition as things that drive them but neither of those things are really what I'm after (in abundance at least, obviously I want money so I can survive).

What sort of questions should I be asking myself? What motivates you?
    It'll certainly be different for everyone and I've found that enjoying what you do is the first step. There are loads of motivation theories out there which you can read up on but I would say look for something you enjoy and are good at.It also takes some time to work it out.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.