Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I understand all medical schools are hard to get into. But are Oxford and Cambridge harder to get into than other medical schools? Just curious.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    By some criteria yes, by others no. They look for quite different things versus most med schools - the focus on much more on the academics and the performance during academic interviews, as opposed to things like extensive work experience or aptitude for communication. Hence, their academic requirements and required BMAT scores are higher than other unis, but someone who gets into Oxbridge may not necessarily get into their other choices.

For example, i went to a school that never had someone study medicine before and i entered very ignorant of the process and what was expected from things like the personal statement. I was rejected by 3 of my 4 choices. However, my academics were excellent and that was enough for Oxford, from whom i got my only offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    By some criteria yes, by others no. They look for quite different things versus most med schools - the focus on much more on the academics and the performance during academic interviews, as opposed to things like extensive work experience or aptitude for communication. Hence, their academic requirements and required BMAT scores are higher than other unis, but someone who gets into Oxbridge may not necessarily get into their other choices.

For example, i went to a school that never had someone study medicine before and i entered very ignorant of the process and what was expected from things like the personal statement. I was rejected by 3 of my 4 choices. However, my academics were excellent and that was enough for Oxford, from whom i got my only offer.
    Interesting, this explains why cambridge ask for grades like A*A*A when other medical schools ask for AAA/AAB. In my situation my work experience will probably be stronger than my grades so I don't think cambridge or oxford would be the best for me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Interesting, this explains why cambridge ask for grades like A*A*A when other medical schools ask for AAA/AAB. In my situation my work experience will probably be stronger than my grades so I don't think cambridge or oxford would be the best for me.
    Well as long as you met the A*A*A (or A*AA plus very high GCSEs for Oxford) there is no reason why you couldn't try.

But if in doubt then obviously medicine is very competitive and wasting a choice on a university you very likely won't get into is not a sensible option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Well as long as you met the A*A*A (or A*AA plus very high GCSEs for Oxford) there is no reason why you couldn't try.

But if in doubt then obviously medicine is very competitive and wasting a choice on a university you very likely won't get into is not a sensible option.
    I'm applying as a graduate for 5-year medicine. Gonna be doing a new set of three A-Levels. If I get A*A*A*/A*A*A I'll definitely give Cambridge a shot.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.