Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering when I should properly start revising for my A-levels. I’ve already started dedicating 1 hour each for Biology and German a day. But I feel like I really can’t get to grips with German and the new spec and I’m not doing great in general. I’ve been getting low grades throughout the year can anyone give me tips on how and when I should start revising properly?

And how do I revise for German?

When do I start past papers?..

ReputationRep:
    For German, is your problem specifically the exams or the vocab and grammar?

If it is the vocab and grammar, use quizlet and invest in a grammar book. This will help you practice what you haven't grasped at the moment. After that, it should come more easily.

The exams are just practice. Do loads of listening and reading, and eventually you will get better - but you can't expect this straight away. Go over what you've got wrong and remember them for next time. Note down the vocab you don't know. For essays and speaking, do practice and get them marked. If you're clueless on them, give yourself a word bank of about 30 words you might need and only use them, and narrow that down the closer you get to the exam. Make sure the standard doesn't go down as you have fewer words. Do lots of practice.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle08)
    For German, is your problem specifically the exams or the vocab and grammar?

If it is the vocab and grammar, use quizlet and invest in a grammar book. This will help you practice what you haven't grasped at the moment. After that, it should come more easily.

The exams are just practice. Do loads of listening and reading, and eventually you will get better - but you can't expect this straight away. Go over what you've got wrong and remember them for next time. Note down the vocab you don't know. For essays and speaking, do practice and get them marked. If you're clueless on them, give yourself a word bank of about 30 words you might need and only use them, and narrow that down the closer you get to the exam. Make sure the standard doesn't go down as you have fewer words. Do lots of practice.

Hope this helps!
    I’ve been getting D’s consistently and I just don’t know where to start with the grammar. I can grasp the basics, but passive and adjective agreements ect I just draw blanks. My Vocab is good I’m always learning or going over old Vocab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymal)
    I was just wondering when I should properly start revising for my A-levels. I’ve already started dedicating 1 hour each for Biology and German a day. But I feel like I really can’t get to grips with German and the new spec and I’m not doing great in general. I’ve been getting low grades throughout the year can anyone give me tips on how and when I should start revising properly?

And how do I revise for German?

When do I start past papers?..
    For German, I'd definitely recommend going over your grammar first. You'll be killing two birds with one stone as it'll help with the writing and speaking. If you go on your exam board's spec they usually have a list of grammar that they expect you to know by the end of the two years so you could print that out and go through each item one by one.

Are you studying a book/film? Do you have to do a research project?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundae)
    For German, I'd definitely recommend going over your grammar first. You'll be killing two birds with one stone as it'll help with the writing and speaking. If you go on your exam board's spec they usually have a list of grammar that they expect you to know by the end of the two years so you could print that out and go through each item one by one.

Are you studying a book/film? Do you have to do a research project?
    It’s just I’m unsure of how much time / days / weeks to dedicate to each section of grammar. I need to make a time table/ tick list. My downfall is that I learn it but then I gradually forget it all again.

Also we’re studying goodbye Lenin & Russian disco

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymal)
    I’ve been getting D’s consistently and I just don’t know where to start with the grammar. I can grasp the basics, but passive and adjective agreements ect I just draw blanks. My Vocab is good I’m always learning or going over old Vocab.
    My best friend (who does German, I do French) says that grammar is so hard with German. She makes tables with it all on. With the specific parts of grammar she just doesn't get, she goes over it with the teacher (which can take between 5 mins - 5 hours) and then does practice sentences with them in. Then she makes sure to go over them fairly freuqently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle08)
    My best friend (who does German, I do French) says that grammar is so hard with German. She makes tables with it all on. With the specific parts of grammar she just doesn't get, she goes over it with the teacher (which can take between 5 mins - 5 hours) and then does practice sentences with them in. Then she makes sure to go over them fairly freuqently.
    Thank you I will give that a go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 13, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.