Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After reading a piece of work I'm doing with other students, this popped into my mind.

As someone who learned English as a second language, I found it strange that a large number of my peers at university level have very little knowledge of basic grammar. I mean, I am not the best in grammar nor against causal, conversational bending of rules, but essay writing is a different matter. It was just so annoying being told they've "proof-read" it and it seemed fine when it has blatant mistakes.

For example, I've seen people who have no idea what parallel construction rules are.

(Example scraped from a site: This paper will address No Child Left Behind, how to teach effectively, and instructing with multimedia aids.

should be: This paper will address No Child Left Behind benchmarks, effective teaching strategies, and multimedia instructional aids.)

How's grammar taught in schools nowadays? It's been a while since I was in secondary school, so would appreciate information on any recent changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    After reading a piece of work I'm doing with other students, this popped into my mind.

As someone who learned English as a second language, I found it strange that a large number of my peers at university level have very little knowledge of basic grammar. I mean, I am not the best in grammar nor against causal, conversational bending of rules, but essay writing is a different matter. It was just so annoying being told they've "proof-read" it and it seemed fine when it has blatant mistakes.

For example, I've seen people who have no idea what parallel construction rules are.

(Example scraped from a site: This paper will address No Child Left Behind, how to teach effectively, and instructing with multimedia aids.

should be: This paper will address No Child Left Behind benchmarks, effective teaching strategies, and multimedia instructional aids.)

How's grammar taught in schools nowadays? It's been a while since I was in secondary school, so would appreciate information on any recent changes.
    Not sure I can help really as I'm really old but I don't remember getting much formal instruction on matters of writing style. Maybe a little at GCSE English but after that I think it's something that people pick up (or not) by reading.

For example, I hadn't heard of parallel construction rules but I think I would instinctively follow them in written work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)

I find it saddening that such a beautiful language can be squandered by the likes of our own people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirpychops)
    Not sure I can help really as I'm really old but I don't remember getting much formal instruction on matters of writing style. Maybe a little at GCSE English but after that I think it's something that people pick up (or not) by reading.

For example, I hadn't heard of parallel construction rules but I think I would instinctively follow them in written work.
    Don't think we had any "formal" grammar teaching per se in GCSEs at my school.

ReputationRep:
    English is also my second language, and having been in an International school for 9 years, my grammar is much better than any of my Year 10 peers at my new state school. I remember an occasion when a British girl in my English class misspelled the word 'soldier' 3 times in one sentence. It's horrific.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.