The Student Room Group

Will I get a graduate job with a 3rd?

Hey guys so I graduated last July from Greenwich University with a 3rd in computer science and I've only been working in a hotel as a waitress for the past month since. I want to work in my field in a big company as a graduate but I havent had any luck getting anything like that because I dont know the stuff that they want me to know. So what can I do?
Original post by cherlloydfan
Hey guys so I graduated last July from Greenwich University with a 3rd in computer science and I've only been working in a hotel as a waitress for the past month since. I want to work in my field in a big company as a graduate but I havent had any luck getting anything like that because I dont know the stuff that they want me to know. So what can I do?

With a third then you will have a really tough time. get your foot in the door, do some professional exams for new skills and work your way up. Be realistic but determined.
I would say learn a programming language (if you dont already) and try to get some experience.

Most grad jobs ask for a 2.1, so a third will be a big turn off given how large the pool of applicants is these days. Don't worry though if you are adamant in working in this field there's a number of skills you can learn online. My friend hasn't even got a degree but he netted a job in cyber security at the national grid just through skills he's learnt online and through forums. As long as you can show potential employers skills that are specific and will mean you'll be successful in carrying out your role this will offset a poor classification.
Reply 4

There are many entry level jobs that require a degree, but not specific grade but rather set of skills. Some example are Finance & Administration positions in charities. You'll have to do a lot of research for others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending