French Listening Exam GCSE!! -PANICKING- Help Plz! Watch

kerrysha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello people, this is my first post...

I'm currently doing GCSE French, and I recently sat my mocks, but due to serious slackage from moi, I did extremely BADLY in my mock listening exam. Now I've been entered for 'FOUNDATION' for listening only (the shame ) lol
Now I don't know whether I can still get an A* by doing foundation for listening. How many points/marks is it for each section and coursework and how much do you need to gain to get the A*, if its still possible? (please oh please let it be)

Thanks Ya'll

Kerry-sha
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What board's this? I didn't know you were allowed to do that.

Chances are that no one will know, since the grade boundaries change every year, but I can do my best to give you a rough "probably" or "probably not" if you tell me what board you're on.
DeadSniffles
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kerrysha)
Hello people, this is my first post...

I'm currently doing GCSE French, and I recently sat my mocks, but due to serious slackage from moi, I did extremely BADLY in my mock listening exam. Now I've been entered for 'FOUNDATION' for listening only (the shame ) lol
Now I don't know whether I can still get an A* by doing foundation for listening. How many points/marks is it for each section and coursework and how much do you need to gain to get the A*, if its still possible? (please oh please let it be)

Thanks Ya'll

Kerry-sha
25% of the whole subject is the listening! i'm not sure if you can get an a*. if it is possible, you would have to get near 100% on all parts! is there no way you can persuade your teachers to let you do higher?
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think you can get an A*, no, but I may be wrong.
If you want to improve your French listening skills, speak French LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS! Tbh I think that if you practice enough to get at least a C in the listening foundations you're doing at the moment, your school will probably let you move up to Higher. OR just whinge at them lots to let you do Higher.
I took OCR and it was out of 360 UMS marks and the A pass was about 320 I think, for Higher, I'm not sure what it was for an A*.
Thing is, if you want to take it for A Level you don't need an A* in most places - I've never heard of a place asking for A* French for A Level.
But then again you're on the changed specification so they might have changed it
I think you should just whinge at them lots to let you take Higher if you're really good in all the other sections.
Ashes_to_Ashes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unfortunately, if I remember correctly you will only be able to get and A, this is still great though!

I took my GCSE a year early and got A*. In my mock for listening I got a D, so there you go. With practise and luck I did fine, well enough to get A* (although my reading was full marks and my speaking was quite high). Could you not get it changed to Higher tier?
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Listen to radio and watch movies :
Deezer

French Radio Online
Le Mouv' (Alternative)
Nostalgie (Oldies and lots of French singers)
NRJ (Rap, R'N'B, Pop, Alternative)
Hit West (Rap, R'N'B, Pop, Alternative)
Fun Radio (Rap, R'N'B, Pop, Alternative)
FG DJ Radio (Dance, Electro, Remix - Podcast available for free on iTunes)

Good French movies
Jeux d'Enfants (Guillaume Canet, Marion Cotillard)
L'Auberge Espagnole (Romain Duris)
Les Poupées Russes (Romain Duris)
Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (Audrey Tautou)
Hell (Sara Forestier, Nicolas Duvauchelle)
Les Choristes (Gérard Jugnot, Jean-Baptiste Maunier)
Le Pianiste (Adrien Brody)
La Vie Est Belle (Roberto Benigni)

And a very useful thing that can sounds stupid is just to speak in French alone. Think of a little history and try to say it in French. I know that it sounds stupid. And that you'll seem crazy by doing that, lol, but it works (or at least it worked for me).
Good luck !
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
Is there an after-school French club you could possibly join to show your commitment to the subject and express how much you want to do well?? If there isn't one, ask your teacher(s) if they would mind setting up a time and a place for you to sit lots and lots of listening past papers. I remember for my Standard Grade (GCSE) complaining about having to continually do listening past papers. I got straight 1s (top grade) for every part of my Standard Grade French exam. It'll do you the world of good!
Charlotte_Heart_NYC
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get your parents to write a letter in requesting that you are put in for higher tier and explaining that they will take full responsibility for the results. The teacher should do it, if not, kick up a huge fuss.

The TV5 website is fantastic because it gives you listening exercises to complete and you can pick topic-specific clips.
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As long as you do really well in your coursework (i.e. writing), reading and oral, then you can afford to not do so good in the listening. I remember my GCSE listening; the first Q I got stuck on and totally guessed the answer. I tried not to panic and did the best I could on the rest of the paper. I think I did well but definitely not up to A* standard. But as I did great on the others I was able to get an A* overall. Just do practise papers and listen to as much spoken French as you can; films/radio/music etc
kerrysha
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hiya people oh my God thanks for all the information.
I'm doing AQA French...
At first when my teacher said you've been entered into foundation my face FELL. I don't think I can change it because I've signed this paper thing saying what I've been entered for. I'm in higher for speaking and reading, and my coursework has been positive (I got full marks for one, don't know the results for others) But my teacher said that if I did as horribly as I did in my mocks I would lose a lot of points and not get even an A. She wasn't sure if I could get an A* though. I really do want to do higher, but what if my wanting to get the best, results in me getting something low! (there must be a proverb or quote for this somewhere lol)
Thanks for the radio links (Anatheme) I've been looking for some for ages. This place is awesome. How I wish I'd practiced more for listening. The thing is I didn't think I was THAT bad. It was a dip from A to D i'm not joking.

I'll live
And I'm not pursuing french A Levels, but I need this GCSE to be an A* if I want any chances in getting into Oxford/Cambridge. (Because of poor information I received in year 9 I did a Btec which I thought was worth 4 GCSEs but now I know its a btec and won't help jack in uni and wasted the opportunity to do two more GCSEs...my life is a string of mistakes.)

I'm babbling
I'll shush
Anatheme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
N/A
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no, i'm afraid if they've entered you for foundation for listening, then they will for EVERY part...you can only get a C max.
ninaabbey
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oh, forgot to mention, don't let this bum you out too much, your listening is only worth a small percentage, do well in your others and you can come out with a good grade. i got a B in german, when i got an A in my speaking, an A* in my reading, a B in my coursework but i got a D in my listening....be happy with whatever you get though
city_chic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you believe yourself to be capable of doing higher tier, then do all you can to be entered for higher.
Charlotte_Heart_NYC
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ninaabbey)
no, i'm afraid if they've entered you for foundation for listening, then they will for EVERY part...you can only get a C max.
You can be entered for different tiers for all 4 of the different skills.

Even if you have signed something, it can still be changed. My friend decided to do foundation science on the morning of her GCSE exam, she had to pay about £16 but it was done!
kerrysha
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
OMG I got my results and I got an A* in French even though I did the foundation in listening!!! I was pretty confident on all the other areas though so that's probably why, and the foundation listening paper was a cinch. I really wasn't expecting an A* though so it came as a big welcome surprise. Thanks for all the advice people.
city_chic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kerrysha)
OMG I got my results and I got an A* in French even though I did the foundation in listening!!! I was pretty confident on all the other areas though so that's probably why, and the foundation listening paper was a cinch. I really wasn't expecting an A* though so it came as a big welcome surprise. Thanks for all the advice people.
Awesome, congrats!
Anatheme
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bravooo !
PIXI£*
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ashes_to_Ashes)
Unfortunately, if I remember correctly you will only be able to get and A, this is still great though!

I took my GCSE a year early and got A*. In my mock for listening I got a D, so there you go. With practise and luck I did fine, well enough to get A* (although my reading was full marks and my speaking was quite high). Could you not get it changed to Higher tier?
OMG thats so brilliant! You wouldn't mind telling me what you did in order to get that a* as I only seem to get as in french and would love to get a a. Thank you! x
sas-ha
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
well done kerry-sha!!!! so proud of you girl :* <3 xxxxxx hope cambridge/oxford treats u well Xxxxxxxxxxx we live in cambridge come and say hi!!!! XXXXXXXXXX
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.83%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.27%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (121)
17.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (68)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (214)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed