Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah CGP guides are brilliant especially if you get the accompanying workbooks you can easily get a grade 9. if you have any other questions feel free to post them in my gyg thread where myself and other GCSE students are able to help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring-student)
    I have a very similar problem! I was going to get a grade 8/9 targeted book from AQA for the sciences but i was told by the developers of the book that the exam style questions were specifically tailored for AQA's exam board style, if that makes sense? So i think, sometimes, (maybe not all the time) that the questions although might be the same topic, (which is good for remembering content)the types of questions could be preparing you for something completely different? I did however find a website that has some questions for OCR, I'm not sure if youve already come across it but https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/gcse.html
    Thank you sooo much. Although I do OCR 21st century instead of gateway, the questions are still good practice. Thanks once again. I really appreciate the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    Thank you sooo much. Although I do OCR 21st century instead of gateway, the questions are still good practice. Thanks once again. I really appreciate the help.
    No problem, theres also a website fully launching at the beginning of march and has all exam boards (I believe) https://senecalearning.com/ , although it does already have some biology resources on the site. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring-student)
    No problem, theres also a website fully launching at the beginning of march and has all exam boards (I believe) https://senecalearning.com/ , although it does already have some biology resources on the site. Hope this helps
    Thank you so much. This really does help.

ReputationRep:
    I WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY HOW TO GET THE GRADEFirstly, Buy the prcatice cgp papers off amazon, they are not the basic crappy questions you get in savemyexams. They are almost identical to the AQA specimen paper. Buy both packs for each science giving you 24 papers in total. Once you complete them, go over them again and see if you can answer the questions, the ones you get wrong, put them on flashcards and literally memrorise and even better understand them, they have a 90 percent chance of coming up.Then buy the CGP textbook, not revision guide, this is all you need to achieve FULL MARKS in your science examsThis is the best advice ur gonna get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    Sorry forgot to quote - @Ihatelife2
    Well I'm sitting the exams this year but I got mostly 9s in my mocks, this is just what worked for me: (I think - bio 115/120 55/60, chem 112/120 59/60, phys 105/120 forgot p2! Edexcel IGCSE)
    Your number 1 resource is past papers. They get you used to the questions and help you apply your knowledge. I would use your textbook first (or a more detailed resource) if you're talking months or weeks until the exam to make notes and make sure you understand everything. If you hardly have any time before exams then you will be okay with using CGP - they are very good and great examples of condensed notes; however, they shouldn't (imo) be your first point of call. I found some very small points are not in them but that shouldn't be a massive deal for the exams as you'll likely have all the marks you need. Usually if you just look at CGP the 1 markers or 2 markers that are kinda off topic will catch you out, but if you do past papers they will become more easy as they usually ask for pretty much the same sort of answer every time.
    Videos from Youtube channels are great for sciences - they work well for me as I am an auditory learner. Some channels also go through past papers which is very useful. Also if your school has tassomai I would recommend using that, mine doesn't but I've heard it's great!
    Good luck in your exams (and I know I made CGP sound bad in this but it is an excellent resource, just don't use ONLY that)
    do you think its good to do the old spec papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wheresmunchkin)
    do you think its good to do the old spec papers?
    I’m not sure as I’m doing Edexcel IGCSE old spec so I have lots of past papers but I would say yes, try and get your hands on as many example or specimen papers as possible, then do some old spec ones where the topic is the same as the one on the new spec. It should help you as answering exam questions can help, also you could use some Edexcel igcse papers as I believe the spec is similar

ReputationRep:
    cgp book is by far not enough for a grade 9. it misses out loads of the syllabus, you need to use the textbooks endorsed by the exam board

ReputationRep:
    you should really be reading around the subject too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm using CGP books and I cannot say more than they are one of the best books , of course if you want to do the best id advise a YouTube channel called free science lessons

ReputationRep:
    Lol everyone here saying no. All I used was cgp and a couple of past papers of exam board website and I achieved 9’s in all 3 of my sciences- ignore them and use cgp!!!!

ReputationRep:
    CGP is for people who need to revise to get a 6.
    You don't need to "read around" for gcse, you have been "reading around" every subject since before you learned how to read, people just think they haven't because they can't remember or decontextualise information.
    Look at the specification and learn that. You are blessed with a document containing a list of everything you need to know, use it.
    Get 9s on past papers and then get a 9 in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    One cannot simply revise without the essential aid of a book that provides much more factual knowledge than a CGP revision guide. However, they are fantastic as an accompaniment alongside a core science textbook which is ideally made to be used within the classroom, and this is a must for succeeding in Science GCSE's, whether it be triple or double- practice papers! Personally, I found the CGP workbooks for each separate science fantastic. They were brimmed with the necessary knowledge needed to achieve high grades in exams and not only do they teach you information; they teach you fantastic exam technique. So nonetheless, the CGP revision guides are brilliant at home for key notes and could easily make do your primary source of revision at home, but practice papers and working with test-style questions is the easy hack to getting a 9 within closer reach.

By the way, using CGP got me two 9's in chemistry and biology and an 8 in physics, so yes; if you use them correctly they are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    I got 9s in the 3 sciences at GCSE last year and I purely revised from CGP guides people told me they weren't good enough to get the top grades but I did it and it's so much simpler than doing other stuff cos you just get the book out it doesn't require anything else so saves time aswel my friends wasted doing flashcards, other textbooks etc. Just saying it works x

ReputationRep:
    Literally just did my GCSEs. Used nothing but CGP for science and came out with 9s in all 3. Chem, Bio and Phys. I vouch for CGP so much and I'm using em for my A Levels too. yes. YEs. YESSS

ReputationRep:
    I purely used the CGP guides combined with past papers and got, like many on this thread 9s in biology, chemistry and physics. Personally, I found them more useful than the endorsed textbooks which, particularly for GCSE contain a lot of irrelevant information, which isn't needed for the top grades. If you want to do well, stop wasting your taking copious notes from such textbooks and start doing past paper after past paper instead.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have the specification and the cgp book so I'm just making questions based on the specification and the book on basically EVERYTHING on flash cards and it's helped me a lot cause I used to get grade 6's and now I achieve grade 9's 😎

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millierenton123)
    Lol everyone here saying no. All I used was cgp and a couple of past papers of exam board website and I achieved 9’s in all 3 of my sciences- ignore them and use cgp!!!!
    yeah same with my friend she memoried the entire cgp books for all the sciences on the week of the exmas with flashcards, and she got all 9s!
    i just read the physics one when i got stuck, i got a 6 lol
    u defo need to know how to use them effectively, reading them helps with understand for sure, but memorising them obvi worked extremely well for most people

ReputationRep:
    I made my notes from CGP books alone. Got all 9s.

ReputationRep:
    I got all 9s and used just CGP for the sciences... Its not even that hard like 15 percent of people get 9s so USE CGP !!!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.