Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to be a game developer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    oh dear you’re not even joking are you.. you do realise people on the dole get their money from TAX PAYERS, more people on the dole means more TAX (essentially) so they are taking money away from thise same shops who pay TAXES . More people on the dole does not boost the economy.. I am shocked that you think it does as I assume you are over the age over the age of 5.
    I gave you a link, that explained the concept. Read it before saying stuff like this
    repeating the same thing 3 times, doesnt change anything.

You think you 1 person quitting your job, will affect me or the economy ? lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    I gave you a link, that explained the concept. Read it before saying stuff like this
    repeating the same thing 3 times, doesnt change anything.

You think you 1 person quitting your job, will affect me or the economy ? lmao
    smh I cant believe how stupid one person can be, litterally blows my mind.

ReputationRep:
    A lad I know did a degree in it, did a placement with Sony and now works in the public sector as an IT grunt.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you think theres money in indie games though? Is it realistic that I could make a career out of this?
    There can be.

How lucky are you? You'll need plenty.

Oh, another route is the mod scene: adapting other people's work is one way to show you can do good stuff. It's also a way to discover what bits you actually like and are good at: scripting, art, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the advice you've gotten so far is about all you can get. it'll take quite a bit of patience and dedication though but there's quite a few people that have stuck at it and made successful games all on their own.

(Original post by hannxm)
    Eric Barone
    king

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this! Do you think theres money in indie games though? Is it realistic that I could make a career out of this? I will defo check out unity! Is w3schools a credible learning resource?
    Of course you can make a career of this, it won't be easy, if you put in the work and time, you can get a job without a degree very normally.

There is money in really all types of games these days, pick your audience and with a good game idea, you will get the £/$. But that should not be your focus right now. Right now your focus should be learning as much as possible, first the language, then the engine, then some theory (found online everywhere), this I described in my previous post. You get that done in your time, depending on how much time you put into it is how long you spend at this stage. After that you starting playing around, creating game demos, small games, games already done by others, you just re-create them, for example flappy bird, tic tac toe, very simple games, make them, show friends and family. Now during all this time, you will have probably learned many things on the way, for example Photoshop, animation, etc. So you are slowly building your skill set. You can always fill in the gaps on specific problems later, for example just watch/read stuff specifically on animation or whatever if you feel you need. Main thing is to get that foundation of the language and the game engine, anything else that you will require to make those small demo games you can learn as needed.

Now during all this, you have now created 1-2 game demos (do as many as you can, use already made games, re create them, this will help you apply what you learned), showed your friends and family, you don't publish these of course, just on your phone show them around. You now are feeling good, and you have your notes you gathered. Now it's time to get a simple game idea (2D) and create it and publish it.

At this stage you can fill in any areas as you come across them. For example you still didn't learn about 2D physics, you go on Unity website and learn it.

So now you have a published game on the store, and done some demo games showing you have applied what you learned. Alongside with this, you create a website for yourself, show casing your demos, and your current published game, and any other ideas you have etc.

Combine all this, put it on your CV, and bam, you are ready to get hired with no problems at all.

Now this of course is just a rough idea of how to do things, make this your own, live in it, plan it, be it, work on it consistently, and you will get there.

No need for a degree to get hired at all like the others said, especially in this kind of field where you can impress employers by so many things you can do by yourself.

In terms of theory, all of it can be found online, there are even free lectures out there. But don't worry about the theory right now, that is more important in 3D games but you are just worried about 2D games now.

About W3Schools, I have never used it to specifically learn anything on it, I use it sometimes to get quick answers. I don't recommend using that website to learn from scratch. Use it for access to quick information on the spot. Right now, majority of the resources you need are all ready for you and perfectly made in the unity website.

If you can invest in a membership like Lynda that will help a lot, actually a lot a lot, they have hundreds of professional/formal video courses on game development, theory as well I think and as well specific courses for unity.

So if you can afford Lynda, then all the resources you need are Lynda and Unity website, and that is a good good start.

Look at this search result "unity" in the Lynda website:
    https://www.lynda.com/search?q=unity

All you need for a super super good foundation of everything, even debugging, etc. Everything is there.

Now this is all talk, it's very easy to talk, applying this will require motivation and determination which I hope you have. If you love it, you will get those 2 automatically.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.