Turn on thread page Beta

English word dilemma big argument at home!!! pls help!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok we are trying to find a word meaning in english from arabic and can't seem to find it.
    lets say I want to send money to someone in another city with a friend lets call my friend jake.
    Lets say I tell Jake "I have trust in you that you will deliver the money without stealing it"
    Having trust for someone is a word that translates in arabic fine. But in arabic there is also a word for the thing that you trust the person with, in this case the money. What do you call the money.
    Or lets say I tell Jake I Have trust that you will keep the money safe for when i come back from holiday.
    In arabic "I have trust in you keeping this" transalates into a word fine. Again in arabic there is also a word for the money. What is it in english pls??
    Basically, I want a " "The" trusted object" word.

If you know arabic the word for money is امانة
    The word for having trust for that امانة with someone,, as you should know is,, امنتك for something.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdullah1443)
    Ok we are trying to find a word meaning in english from arabic and can't seem to find it.
    lets say I want to send money to someone in another city with a friend lets call my friend jake.
    Lets say I tell Jake "I have trust in you that you will deliver the money without stealing it"
    Having trust for someone is a word that translates in arabic fine. But in arabic there is also a word for the thing that you trust the person with, in this case the money. What do you call the money.
    Or lets say I tell Jake I Have trust that you will keep the money safe for when i come back from holiday.
    In arabic "I have trust in you keeping this" transalates into a word fine. Again in arabic there is also a word for the money. What is it in english pls??
    Basically, I want a " "The" trusted object" word.

If you know arabic the word for money is امانة
    The word for having trust for that امانة with someone,, as you should know is,, امنتك for something.

Thanks.
    We don’t have a word for that in English as far as I know!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    a "pledge" is something which you promise to undertake... it can mean money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthflame57)
    We don’t have a word for that in English as far as I know!
    I was arguing that point to be fair. It seems like it thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    a "pledge" is something which you promise to undertake... it can mean money.
    Thanks for the reply. I just looked at dictionary and it said something delivered as security for payement of debt which is a better word than what I was using to trust someone with something so thanks for that.
    Still not quite what I was looking for as I'm looking for a word for the "debt" to be paid, there is one in Arabic. Probs not in English but I remembered an important word here pledge, that should settle the argument xD thnx

ReputationRep:
    I think the word is charge. Here's the entry from the shorter OED:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 35
Size:  212.5 KB
    I think 4b is what you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirpychops)
    Lol, how in the world did you find that!! Yes that is exactly it! that should defo settle it at home. I've never heard that word be used anywhere in that setting, thank you so much !!

ReputationRep:
    Well played Sir !!

:congrats:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdullah1443)
    Lol, how in the world did you find that!! Yes that is exactly it! that should defo settle it at home. I've never heard that word be used anywhere in that setting, thank you so much !!
    Well, I read what you wrote, thought about it, checked by looking it up then posted it. I think quite a bit about words. Once upon a time, I spent £16 to have the shorter OED with me everywhere I go. It has to be the best £16 I've ever spent. Also good for arbitrating Boggle games with the in laws.
    Glad to be of assistance.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I read what you wrote, thought about it, checked by looking it up then posted it. I think quite a bit about words. Once upon a time, I spent £16 to have the shorter OED with me everywhere I go. It has to be the best £16 I've ever spent. Also good for arbitrating Boggle games with the in laws.
    Glad to be of assistance.
    Wow I'll check this out, thank you.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.