Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it realistic to self teach GCSE maths in 14 weeks, from scratch watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling with how to plan my time, to study the content. Over 240 topics to cover in 14 weeks, is this really possible? Glancing over the material it seems doable, individually. Could anyone share their tips for organising my study? IN terms of spending x amount of time on this... x amount on that... x amount on practice papers. Help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely possible. The amount of time to spend on things is going to depend on you. Some stuff you'll pick up quicker than others so cover it until you learn it but bear in mind the amount you've got left to learn.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I feel like that is overdoing it. I suppose it depends on what grade you are aiming for, they have some very tough topics in the gcse maths. Look which topics you already understand from previous study and begin with ones you do not. Plan your time according to how long and difficult the topic is. You may be able to fit in multiple short easy topics in one day, but others may take up more time. Begin by reviewing the content including the examples that they give. Once you understand, move onto practice questions and finish off with exam style questions. Remember to review the stuff you've already done and memorise some things by heart like conversions and the quadratic formula. Do not be afraid to look at the mark scheme if you do not understand something and leave the last few weeks for covering gaps you missed and doing full past papers. Try not to overwork yourself and know your limits. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input, it's really appreciated. I've got a few days to make up my mind as the deadline is Friday. What do people think? 1) Set days covering different modules:* Monday- Algebra*Tyesday- number etc. 2) Hammer out a whole module and then move on to the next module? I see advantages in both but wondering, given the one restraints, is it best to study all modules alongside each other to keep it present in my brain. I also am aware I am over thinking this! Haha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I learnt it all within 3 months myself and if I could do it so can you and I went from a 4 in March to 8 in real exam
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking the resits are still in November? It was 10 years since I left school! I'm recently become a second time mother and so I have a lot to juggle at present! Haha... I think I will go for it and if I get below a 7, I'll study at a more leisurely pace for November!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgma)
    I'm struggling with how to plan my time, to study the content. Over 240 topics to cover in 14 weeks, is this really possible? Glancing over the material it seems doable, individually. Could anyone share their tips for organising my study? IN terms of spending x amount of time on this... x amount on that... x amount on practice papers. Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Spend a week doing intense studying. You will see the progress - or lack thereof - if you can do it. If you find you're not concentrating and getting distracted easily then....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgma)
    It's possible.

With mathematics, you need to follow the following study cycle:
    -Learn chapter x> Do ALOT of practice questions> Move on to next chapter>Do a past paper if you've done everything>REPEAT

Here are some EXTREMELY useful websites to help you:

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/

Now go get that grade 9!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kushala Daora)
    It's possible.

With mathematics, you need to follow the following study cycle:
    -Learn chapter x> Do ALOT of practice questions> Move on to next chapter>Do a past paper if you've done everything>REPEAT

Here are some EXTREMELY useful websites to help you:

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/

Now go get that grade 9!

Thank you kindly for all your messages, especially those of encouragement! Kushala, by chapter do you mean work solely on Algebra and then move on?

Thanks again for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgma)
    Thank you kindly for all your messages, especially those of encouragement! Kushala, by chapter do you mean work solely on Algebra and then move on?

Thanks again for your help!
    That's your call. As long as you go through everything you need to.

Mathsgenie has a good framework:

Your welcome!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is doable, as long as you put in the hours to get you there.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely doable, how hard it will be depends on your prior knowledge and how much other work you have got to do. Is it just maths your studying? And how much do you already know? I assume if you're in year 11 you've done a lot of the content already. You should understand most of the grade 1-5 stuff to some extent as well as some content at a higher grade and therefore know about 40% - 60% of the content already.
    With maths, get lots of practice, do lots of questions as that will really help you learn the content, good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.