Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people who are good at maths pretentious? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok- I understand the header sounds a bit clickbaity, but it's true though. The top set maths students at school have a smug arrogance to anyone who got less than a grade 7, and on internet forums(like this one), you see lower achieving students ridiculed for asking "basic" questions . I know some people are like this in other subjects, but it is usually maths students. And before you jump to the conclusion I must be stupid or have got a Grade 1, I achieved a 6+ in the recent mock, which was about the school median (but one of my lowest grades).

I'm not looking to start a huge argument, I genuinely want to know if anyone agrees and hear peoples theories on why.

ReputationRep:
    Nah man its just that some pretentious people happen to be good at maths - some of my friends who are getting level 9s are pretty humble and chill

ReputationRep:
    I agree, despite doing maths further maths physics (and french) at a level, i find it so annoying when people doing stem subjects dismiss others and say theyre easy. idk why, i think its just a traditional view where we grew up in a society where people doing stem subjects where told theyre harder. in tv shows we dont talk about how hard something like psychology is, its always maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrwb9876)
    Ok- I understand the header sounds a bit clickbaity, but it's true though. The top set maths students at school have a smug arrogance to anyone who got less than a grade 7.
    stuff like that stopped affecting me before i went to secondary school

and on internet forums(like this one), you see lower achieving students ridiculed for asking "basic" questions
    so what it's the internet , people can literally pretend to be doctors on here and no one would know the truth, also for the record I've never seen anyone being ridiculed on here because they couldnt answer a question

ReputationRep:
    Ok- I understand the header sounds a bit clickbaity, but it's true though. The top set maths students at school have a smug arrogance to anyone who got less than a grade 7, and on internet forums(like this one), you see lower achieving students ridiculed for asking "basic" questions . I know some people are like this in other subjects, but it is usually maths students. And before you jump to the conclusion I must be stupid or have got a Grade 1, I achieved a 6+ in the recent mock, which was about the school median (but one of my lowest grades).

I'm not looking to start a huge argument, I genuinely want to know if anyone agrees and hear peoples theories on why.
    pretntious is the wrong word, you mean ignorant and arrogant

ReputationRep:

I think it varies across schools - at the school where I did my GCSEs there wasn't much divide between high/ lower achieving maths candidates, and we only had two sets so we mixed a lot However I know where you're coming from - at my current (new) sixth form Bs were looked down on, and As weren't seen as special - something I completely disagree with as I think achievement should be measured by a person's improvements and belief in themselves, not the critisism of others

ReputationRep:
    Anybody can be pretentious if they're jumped up enough. The ones guilty of the worst of it are in my experience a mix of socially awkward overachievers and needy of bulls****ers, so it's not an accurate representation of reality.

Anyway, where I'm from, you'd get the pretension knocked out of ya. I just pity it these days :laugh:

ReputationRep:

anecdotal much? it's just like me saying all i see are asians let say eat rice, so then asians must only eat rice, clearly wrong .-.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.