Turn on thread page Beta

Gay and feeling down about it watch

Announcements

So basically Im fairly confident im attracted to guys as I have been for many years. Im 18 now. No one knows so im very much closeted and worried about telling family and friends due to rejection. They aren't the type of family to take it badly but its still a big thing in my eyes. I have never been in a relationship before but i seem to only be attracted to masculine guys. Im fairly masculine myself so people cant tell im gay. When I think of a gay person I usually think of them as over the top and very feminine, and it seems that most of the lgbt community are like this. I have a fear that I will never fall in love with someone similar to myself, as i will never find them.. Does anyone have any advice? Im not being homophobic by any means, that would be hypocritical, but I cant help what type of guy im attracted to.

don’t worry! lots of people are gay, the people who would or might judge you, are backward thinking- we don’t live in a society where it is okay to judge people for the gender there attracted to. it’s nothing to be ashamed of at all...everybody has a type, straight men have a type of women they are attracted to and women with men... you are only young you have plenty of time to find “the one”..there’s someone for everybody, don’t stress about it and tell you’re family! the sooner it’s out there the easier it will be to find “the one” x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    ok, honestly, there are plenty of guys that don't fit the stereotypical "camp" guy thing.I wouldn't even say that most gay guys fit the idea you think of.
    If you're in a position where it is safe, can't recommend telling SOMEONE enough, it will only get worse the more you hide.

(also, just an aside, internalised homophobia is a thing, you can be homophobic and gay haha, not saying you are, just a lil point)

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of guys like you; you only hear about the stereotypes because they are comfortable with representing the LGBT. Imagine the other guys hiding the same thing as you are, you'll never spot them other than dating apps then you'll think ooh he's gay but so masc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are what you are and you are who you are if they’re decent parents they’ll accept you as their son. Just think people have kids that do worse things than like the same sex you’re not a bad kid for being gay!! The sooner you come out you’ll have a weight lifted off your shoulder
    Good luck. Xx

Thanks all very helpful

I am 17 and I came out as gay like a year ago. I am really masculine and everyone is quite surprised when they realise I'm gay which I think is ridiculous, because I think the feminine stereotype is so outdated now. But honestly just be proud and confident about who you are because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, anyone that thinks that is NOT worth your time at all. Come out when you are ready and start off with your closest friends, because they should support you no matter what and that should give you more confidence. And by the way I get what you mean about not finding someone like yourself, I have a MASSIVE crush on my best friend but he has a gf and is straight which is so frustrating because I'm with him all the time. I just kind of hope I can get him to swing my way aha

ReputationRep:
    B owt and pround.

ReputationRep:
    It's the family name that lives on. That's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family. Get married and continue the family line

(Original post by quackers2003)
    It's the family name that lives on. That's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family. Get married and continue the family line
    Is this a dig or are you being genuine

ReputationRep:
    I guess u should ask yourself simply question? If youryour parent are gay, would their give birth to you.

Don't be deceive by evil trends... Resist that lost for your follow man and it will leave you.

i am a girl who have couple of gay friends that have partners, some of them are slim others are thicker. Finding love is like for anyone else if it clicks then it does if it doesn't then u ll find another one

ReputationRep:
    I am a very straight girl, don't know why i said very, but anyways, I have a lot of gay friends, I even have a friend who is a drag queen. I'm still pretty stocked about that but what I'm trying to say is being gay is just a small thing, you've been gay your whole life so why should telling your parents make them hate you. They've been with you your whole life, this small thing should'nt define you. And i get what you mean about the whole masculine thing, but all my friends are pretty mixed. And what that guy said about the flamboyant gays, their always the best am I right😂., love a drama. So make the decsion yourself, one of my friend even made the decision not to come out and one day he just walked into his house with his boyfriend, actually would have killed to see his parents faces haha. Being someone who's grew up in the 21st century I'm still like i didnt have to come out so why should gay peope, so truly do what you want, its your life, now for the cringy quote

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.