The Student Room Group

Edexcel english 9-1 2018

just curious to see who else is doing edexcel gcse :smile: not many people seem to be studying it (as most happen to be in AQA).

if you are also doing edexcel english, what texts are you studying, and which poetry collection are you doing? and what resources do you use for revision?

i'm doing macbeth, a christmas carol, an inspector calls, and for poetry, i'm doing the relationships collection!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikela
just curious to see who else is doing edexcel gcse :smile: not many people seem to be studying it (as most happen to be in AQA).

if you are also doing edexcel english, what texts are you studying, and which poetry collection are you doing? and what resources do you use for revision?

i'm doing macbeth, a christmas carol, an inspector calls, and for poetry, i'm doing the relationships collection!!

Even though its Edexcel, then you can still use Mr Bruff as he covers all those books.
http://mrbruff.com/product/mr-bruffs-guide-to-gcse-literature/
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists

Also use past papers from the edexcel site plus mark schemes.
I am doing the Edexcel 9-1 english.
I am doing Christmas Carol, Romeo and Juliet and The Woman in Black and im doing the relationship collection.
I use youtube, flash cards, mindmaps and study guides and exam papers
Reply 3
Original post by jordanb-h
I am doing the Edexcel 9-1 english.
I am doing Christmas Carol, Romeo and Juliet and The Woman in Black and im doing the relationship collection.
I use youtube, flash cards, mindmaps and study guides and exam papers

just wondering what youtube channels you use, apart from mr bruff (which, quite frankly, i don't find THAT useful).

relationships!! my next mock is the poetry and a christmas carol paper and im dreading it! i hope that first date he/she doesn't come up, i hate that poem.
before half term i did a eng lit mock for romeo and Juliet and the woman in black
i use bradon english
Reply 6
before half term i did a eng lit mock for romeo and Juliet and the woman in black
i use bradon english

how was the mock?

and do you use any youtube channels for a christmas carol? i know one but i don't know if it is useful
i found the remeo and juliet part easier than the woman in black
Reply 9

love thug notes!! i use this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQE65hp6MwUq0EXoFvoql1LgkqEZn57lU

it's pretty decent, but aqa focused :frown:
it seems to be decent shame its aqa focused
Reply 11
bump!
@mikela have u done any flash cards on a Christmas carol?
Reply 13
@mikela have u done any flash cards on a Christmas carol?

barely 😭 i have a wall of quotes tho!!
Reply 14
I do edexcel and I'm currently revising Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (the 19th century novel) but idk if I'm meant to know context :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by brarje
I do edexcel and I'm currently revising Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (the 19th century novel) but idk if I'm meant to know context :s-smilie:

you should know context for all of your texts :smile: (at least thats what we have been taugh x)
Reply 16
Original post by mikela
you should know context for all of your texts :smile: (at least thats what we have been taugh x)

Wait it turns out we don't need context for the 19th cent text.
I just asked my english teacher and she told me we only need it for the Shakespeare play, Post 1914 play or novel (e.g. the woman in black, an inspector calls) and in part 1 of the poetry question where we compare the poems. I just got confused by watching mr bruff's video for dr jekyll and mr hyde where he covers context but this is only needed in AQA eng lit paper.
Reply 17
Original post by brarje
Wait it turns out we don't need context for the 19th cent text.
I just asked my english teacher and she told me we only need it for the Shakespeare play, Post 1914 play or novel (e.g. the woman in black, an inspector calls) and in part 1 of the poetry question where we compare the poems. I just got confused by watching mr bruff's video for dr jekyll and mr hyde where he covers context but this is only needed in AQA eng lit paper.

oh my gosh, ive learnt all the context for my 19th century book 😭😭😭
I’m doing Romeo&Juliet, Jekyll&Hyde, An Inspector Calls and conflict (for poetry)
Im in yr 10 btw and idk but there seems to be way more AQA resources ?? does anyone have any resources pls?

Quick Reply

Latest