Turn on thread page Beta

Should I go to university, and if not what else should I do 😬 watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm studying childcare at college and I've been offered a conditional place to study outdoor adventure management and leadership at university.
    It took me years to decide on a course, and I only chose it so that I could push myself. But now I'm realising that I can still push myself without getting £50,000 in debt, aha. And I'm not even sure if I'll use the degree- I understand that it'll look good, but I don't want to spend 3 years doing something so my application looks good, rather than spending that time building towards a career, by doing something that will actually be of use to me.
    So, with all the benefits of university on one side, like meeting new people, getting a degree, being able to get a pgce following that, I now don't know whether to start an apprenticeship or go into work instead.
    If I did start an apprenticeship, I'd look for a level 5 child or teaching based one, just so I'm learning and still being able to have an income. Or if I got a job, I'd probably work in a nursery as a practitioner and working way up, or work in schools and a teaching assistant, and have experience working with children with special needs.
    Honestly, I have no idea what I want to do as a career. I really enjoy working with children, but I don't know how far I can progress with that without going to university. The thing putting me off going to university, is that I want to be able to travel and have money to travel whilst I'm young, and I don't really want to be settling down in my 30s- I'd rather be doing that in my late 20's. And if I do go to university, I feel like I'd be rushed to enjoy my 20's and get a job and settle down.
    I mean, I know that I can always go to university in the future, and maybe more experience in work will help me make a decision. But right now, I need to make a decision on whether to start university this September.
    Part of me is saying that if I'm doubting going to university, then I shouldn't go. But then another part of me is panicking about what will happen if I don't go, and what I'll do instead and whether I'll be happy and be financially stable.

I kind of need someone to tell me what they think is best from an objective perspective 😬😬

UPDATE:
    I've decided to change my application, and I've been given an unconditional offer to do health and social care. I thought this would be a good choice because then it means I'm not limiting myself and there's loads of areas I can go into with it, including teaching, so at least I know I'll use the degree one way or another. I started thinking about how far I could get without a degree, and especially in teaching, I wouldn't be able to get very far, which is one of the reasons I've decided to go to university.
    Whilst the course is a foundation degree, it means that I'll only be in university for 1 day a week and placement for 1 day, so I have the freedom to earn money and get experience elsewhere.
    After the course, which lasts 2 years, I can then do a top-up for a full degree or go into nursing, so it's not that bad.
    I think this is a happy medium for me, especially with how indecisive I am, and the fact that the course gives me a lot of freedom in terms of working and having the time to travel.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KatieJB)
    Okay, so I'm studying childcare at college and I've been offered a conditional place to study outdoor adventure management and leadership at university.

It took me years to decide on a course, and I only chose it so that I could push myself. But now I'm realising that I can still push myself without getting £50,000 in debt, aha. And I'm not even sure if I'll use the degree- I understand that it'll look good, but I don't want to spend 3 years doing something so my application looks good, rather than spending that time building towards a career, by doing something that will actually be of use to me.

So, with all the benefits of university on one side, like meeting new people, getting a degree, being able to get a pgce following that, I now don't know whether to start an apprenticeship or go into work instead.
    If I did start an apprenticeship, I'd look for a level 5 child or teaching based one, just so I'm learning and still being able to have an income. Or if I got a job, I'd probably work in a nursery as a practitioner and working way up, or work in schools and a teaching assistant, and have experience working with children with special needs.

Honestly, I have no idea what I want to do as a career. I really enjoy working with children, but I don't know how far I can progress with that without going to university. The thing putting me off going to university, is that I want to be able to travel and have money to travel whilst I'm young, and I don't really want to be settling down in my 30s- I'd rather be doing that in my late 20's. And if I do go to university, I feel like I'd be rushed to enjoy my 20's and get a job and settle down.

I mean, I know that I can always go to university in the future, and maybe more experience in work will help me make a decision. But right now, I need to make a decision on whether to start university this September.

Part of me is saying that if I'm doubting going to university, then I shouldn't go. But then another part of me is panicking about what will happen if I don't go, and what I'll do instead and whether I'll be happy and be financially stable.

I kind of need someone to tell me what they think is best from an objective perspective 😬😬
    (This is all my opinion.)

For a start, don't focus on the "debt". It doesn't show up as a minus on your bank account, it works more like a tax on your future income.

You are right to focus on your career. I'd advise you to keep that in mind when thinking long term, "what's the goal and how do I get there?" If a degree is either necessary or incredibly beneficial, go for it. And preferably one appropriate to your career plans.

If your future doesn't need a degree that much, I'd say it's a case of considering what's the best way for you to reach your goals.

How you live your 20s is up to you, not dictated by whether or not you have a degree.

I've moved your thread into Applications and UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    The debt isn't anything to really worry about, don't let that be a factor in your decision. You dont actively pay it back it comes out as a tax (9%) on anything you earn above £25,000. E.g. (YourWage - £25,000) x 0.09. Which if you earn £30,000 its only £8.65 per week to pay back towards your loan repayments.

So do you want to be a teacher? If so do the degree and then you can get a bursary of £25,000+ (tax free) to train to become a teacher and do your PGCE/PGDE. You may find trying to work your way into a teaching role might become limited without a degree and you could find yourself stuck at a Teaching assistant/LSA level. With a degree you'll have the opportunities to take it further.

ReputationRep:
    All in all you should be happy with your situation. It sounds like you have lots of options for your future which is something not everyone can say they have!
    As for your decision, I would not go to uni this year if you are not 100% sure about it. If you decide that becoming a teacher is your end goal, then sure go for it. However, if you can't decide this year, then there is absolutely no harm in working for a year to get your goals in place. It is better to take time to make the right decision than to rush into the wrong one.
    Also in my opinion, uni debt is only bad if you are paying for a degree you don't actually care for or won't use, but it sounds like you won't have that problem if you decide to go.
    Good luck!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.