Turn on thread page Beta

Why don’t guys have a “lesbian best friend” ? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m not offending anyone here! But just a question that’s been on my mind for a long time.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Some probably do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mosa99)
    I’m not offending anyone here! But just a question that’s been on my mind for a long time.
    i do

ReputationRep:
    It definitely not as common as the gay best friend for girls. Possibly the idea of a gay guy friend excites girls because there is zero chance it would be ruined by romantic feelings or sex. Guys don't generally have this issue when befriending girls, so a lesbian friend isn't really something guys seek out. Another theory, and maybe this is just stereotype, but there is the idea that lesbian girls are misandrist. If that's the case, then that would obviously be off putting for guys.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldn't say "best friend" but one of my closest friends is queer as **** and she's currently going out with one of my (female) housemates. I get on with her better than most people as we have similar interests/sense of humour etc. I have absolutely no interest in her romantically/sexually, I just value her company because we can make awful jokes and talk about music and nerd out about physics.

ReputationRep:
    They do but the only difference is gay best friend is a trope. There's that stereotype of of a camp gay guy friend that can give a gal fashion tips and actually understand emotion and alla that. There's not any stereotype of lesbians that provides any particularly beneficial traits for friendship with males, so there's no trope.

The actual raw numbers between the two are probably about even, assuming there's equal amounts of lesbians as there are gay men.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.