The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bj27
Chelsea replaced him and did no restructuring and won the title a season later.

Chelsea didn't have the same problems with 3 managers, nor did they have an investment banker effectively as DOF.
An abysmal afternoon. No one player was good and it's worrying it's come after a first week win. If Lukaku buries the chance early on does the performance and result change? The latter may have but not so much the former.

It's still very early days to make judgements on the season, players and manager so one hopes they can get things back on track starting with a result v Tottenham a week on Monday.

The broader issues (club structure, Woodward's influence on transfer policy, DoF, Mourinho's future) will lurk in the background and it depends on results. If it's not positive then I fear it could unravel quickly but I'm optimistic that we can drudge out of the results to keep us in contention for top four (sadly that's where we are at). When Mourinho leaves it should be a turning point to think about the structure and philosophy, as since Ferguson left, it's very much needed
Reply 4382
Original post by sr90
Chelsea didn't have the same problems with 3 managers, nor did they have an investment banker effectively as DOF.

We have been spot on with our managerial selections and sacking them at the right time.

Since villas boas we've been careful.
(edited 5 years ago)
****ing shit*****
It's time.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
****ing *********

Would have never happened with Phil at the back
Reply 4386
Original post by Rk2k14
Certain people coming with this energy when their teams in the Europa.

Very weird...

Fans happiness is all about trajectory. I think every other top club this year feels like they're improving and the future is bright.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Strong contender for worst United performance I've ever seen

Hopefully followed by 36 just as bad. Mourinho must stay for the whole season.
Reply 4388
Dreadful result, never mind the fact that you’ve got Spurs next so the situation could worsen. 3/9 points and the media will be all over Mourinho pushing the third season narrative. Although you’ll beat Spurs. It’s at Old Trafford.

No one is catching City anyway so top 4 all that matters whilst Mourinho gets phased out you’d imagine. Although there’s that new contract he signed as well.
I think our midfield damaged us quite a lot today.

Pereira, Fred and Pogba feels like it doesn't have a good balance and rightly so seeing as Pereira is not a natural DM. Personally I would remove Mata of the RW and put Pereira there instead and have a midfield 3 of Matic, Fred and Pogba. We need Matic back ASAP.
Original post by S.G.
Dreadful result, never mind the fact that you’ve got Spurs next so the situation could worsen. 3/9 points and the media will be all over Mourinho pushing the third season narrative. Although you’ll beat Spurs. It’s at Old Trafford.

No one is catching City anyway so top 4 all that matters whilst Mourinho gets phased out you’d imagine. Although there’s that new contract he signed as well.

Especially as it could potentially mean being 6 points off top 4 after just 3 games. City, Liverpool and Chelsea all with games they should win.

Seems like the board have cut their losses with Mourinho without actually having the balls to sack him. Just hoping he can pull off top 4 while spending relatively little cash, and then replace him as the Guardiola project hopefully begins to fade. I think there are 4 sides who would be expected to finish above us though.
Reply 4391
I think mourinho has made it difficult to justify the spending and seeing city do what they did with uniteds clear dressing room problems. This just compounds to something else.

I think at this rate and all the negativity surrounding your club, I highly doubt you will make top 4, arsenal were hopeless before the season started but I think everyone with half a brain realised that. Spurs are showing that even with a shocking transfer window you can do a lot with little.
Reply 4392
Original post by Louis.
Especially as it could potentially mean being 6 points off top 4 after just 3 games. City, Liverpool and Chelsea all with games they should win.

Seems like the board have cut their losses with Mourinho without actually having the balls to sack him. Just hoping he can pull off top 4 while spending relatively little cash, and then replace him as the Guardiola project hopefully begins to fade. I think there are 4 sides who would be expected to finish above us though.

I would also argue that something has happened and Mou has pissed a lot of people off in the summer, similarly on the lines to what Conte did last season(I'm too used to this stuff so I can see it happening).

The guy has Pogba coming off from the world cup, should be on a high and is ****ging off the manager/board. Also with the fine stuff, I reckon he was indirectly talking about the Martial situation. I don't think that Martial thing has helped Mourinho in the dressing room, baby mama supposedly being ill so Martial stayed behind and he gets fined for it. Willian talked about how the Diego Costa text pissed everyone off(him and Luiz in particular) last year and you have guys like Hazard/Luiz/Willian using indirects in interviews, something similar could have happened this year with you lot. I also find it very intriguing that despite Rashford and Lingard being available, he starts Martial as Sanchez was out injured. Mata obviously played the first two games because he wasn't starting or likely featuring at all against Spurs, but that's pretty obvious. I think Mourinho knows that the board will back the players so he's doing this nice guy facade and protecting the players etc.

Then you have the board blocking trades, he would have had no problem doing that Willian/Martial swap deal but the board said no. It's just a mess that's been brewing all summer, heck it's been brewing the entirety of last season since Mou thought Scott McTominay would make Pogba perform better.

People will say its one game but from the outside it looks like a mess all too familiar.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Renaissance-Man
I think our midfield damaged us quite a lot today.

Pereira, Fred and Pogba feels like it doesn't have a good balance and rightly so seeing as Pereira is not a natural DM. Personally I would remove Mata of the RW and put Pereira there instead and have a midfield 3 of Matic, Fred and Pogba. We need Matic back ASAP.

Legit question: Why did you stop posting on here as trapking and restart as Renaissance-Man?
Reply 4394
Leicester showed up midfield frailties last week with their many attacks. Problem not sorted, I don't know why.
If Brighton can't be beaten what hope is there?
We didn't beat Brighton away last year, we didn't improve our squad so if anything this result shows that we are the same team as last season 😂

Tragic. I'd sell most of this squad. I'd only keep Dave, Bailly, Lindeloff, Pogba and Matic.

Have had enough of out golden boys Martial Lingard and Rashford, all have talent but no consistency. Especially fed up with Rashford, when will people see that he's not good enough. One good game a season, albeit against Liverpool, does not mean he he's good enough.

I'm actually Jose in, deadwood, glazers and Woodward out.
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
We didn't beat Brighton away last year, we didn't improve our squad so if anything this result shows that we are the same team as last season 😂

Tragic. I'd sell most of this squad. I'd only keep Dave, Bailly, Lindeloff, Pogba and Matic.

Have had enough of out golden boys Martial Lingard and Rashford, all have talent but no consistency. Especially fed up with Rashford, when will people see that he's not good enough. One good game a season, albeit against Liverpool, does not mean he he's good enough.

I'm actually Jose in, deadwood, glazers and Woodward out.

What do you make of Scholes comments? He did not hold back at all :redface:

There’s a lack of leaders in the team. We thought Paul Pogba might be the ideal candidate to be that leader but he wasn’t there today. He had another really poor game. He’s so inconsistent.
Original post by Renaissance-Man
What do you make of Scholes comments? He did not hold back at all :redface:

He's right, Pogba is world class but is very inconsistent. Hes alot better than our other CM options though. At the moment it's like he's burdened with being the sole creative spark in the team. Without him it would just be Matic Fellaini passing to the CBs and Full backs.

One game doesn't mean much though, Scholes had bad games too. It's how he recovers from this and plays for the rest of the season. Other teams will drop points too.
If you're "very inconsistent" then you're not world class.
Original post by Wilfred Little
If you're "very inconsistent" then you're not world class.

Of course you can be. One day world class, next day not quite at that level but a world class player nonetheless. It's the standard we judge pogba too, compared to others. Don't be silly.

Also aren't you the same imbecile who thought Tommy Robinson was a decent bloke? 😂

Latest