Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What I want to know is, for a midfielder who people label as "one of the best in the world" why can't he play in a 2/different system other than a 3 man midfield and more importantly why can't he defend properly like wth is that...

Mourinho was absolutely right in his criticism of Pogba that him and Matic just stood there and did nothing and we conceded a goal because of that. At Spurs the guy was all over the place leaving Matic to take care of 3 attacking players it's like he has no brain sometimes seriously....

DeBryune can do both efficiently. Silva can do both efficiently. Heck even Dembele from Spurs showed what he can do as well.

Etc. Etc.

WHY isn't Pogba doing the same? For £89million I expect someone proficient in both areas. Don't say it's all on Mourinho because it's not he's been given chances in both systems and he's been poor in both. The ONLY real stand out performances this season that I can remember from Pogba were Everton away and Arsenal away but apart from that which other game can you really say wow Pogba was truly class?????

Edit: Like something is truly wrong if you're getting pocketed by ****ing JONJO SHELVEY..... Let that sink in. Even if Pogba is in a 2 man midfield how the F#CK is JONJO SHELVEY doing better than him???? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Jose isnt doing a good rebuilding job then, Lindelof has been benched, Matic and sanchez while great arent long term, he's never been a youth promoting manager. Happy for him to remove the deadwood but we're not even bringing solid replacements to improve over time and playing them.
    You’ve left out a fair few players there, and I’m not sure the relevance of a player being benched, they’re in the squad and can be played in future. Martial was benched for a time. Age wise, the whole thing about building for the future is over hyped. Arsenal have been building for the future for years. You need some players in their primes, and even young players are not long term, they never progress, they get injured, they decide to leave.

On the whole Pogba thing. I don’t think he can win, if he dedicates himself to playing in a two man midfield he’s not going to look like £90m no matter what he does. I don’t see the point anymore than Neymar playing full back because a £200m player should be able to track back. It’s a situation where even if you win you still lose. Pogba can’t run miles away from Matic and still work in a two man midfield, yet we get our money’s worth when he does exactly that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    What I want to know is, for a midfielder who people label as "one of the best in the world" why can't he play in a 2/different system other than a 3 man midfield and more importantly why can't he defend properly like wth is that...

Mourinho was absolutely right in his criticism of Pogba that him and Matic just stood there and did nothing and we conceded a goal because of that. At Spurs the guy was all over the place leaving Matic to take care of 3 attacking players it's like he has no brain sometimes seriously....

DeBryune can do both efficiently. Silva can do both efficiently. Heck even Dembele from Spurs showed what he can do as well.

Etc. Etc.

WHY isn't Pogba doing the same? For £89million I expect someone proficient in both areas. Don't say it's all on Mourinho because it's not he's been given chances in both systems and he's been poor in both. The ONLY real stand out performances this season that I can remember from Pogba were Everton away and Arsenal away but apart from that which other game can you really say wow Pogba was truly class?????

Edit: Like something is truly wrong if you're getting pocketed by ****ing JONJO SHELVEY..... Let that sink in. Even if Pogba is in a 2 man midfield how the F#CK is JONJO SHELVEY doing better than him???? :confused:
    But why would you spend £90m on a footballer and then deliberately play him in a position he doesn't play well in. I can't think of any other team that is do self-defeating in regards to their best player. Spurs aren't asking Kane to be a false 9, Barca dont expect Messi to be a target man, Madrid dont expect Ronaldo to do any defending at all yet not one of them is criticised for not being able to everything all at once.

Also I'd reject the implication that de Bruyne and Silva could play in a midfield 2. That totally ignores the huge amount of work that Fernandinho gets through in that side.

As for his terrible form, it's pretty clear he is a player with no confidence and who isn't enjoying playing football at the moment. It doesn't look like Mourinho is getting through to him either.

I am a big fan of Pogba, was a big part of why I got back into watching Italian football, it watching him now just hurts. It' getting to the point where this transfer can be considered a massive failure for everyone involved.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this if he's a £90million player he should excel in any midfield position.

Prime example is Stevie G, one of the best midfielders in the world but the difference in him playing in a 2 man midfield and 3 were light and day. Benitez came in and put Masch, and Alonso behind him and he reached another level.

More recent example is Kroos. World class players but wasn't at his best in a two. Zizou comes in, puts Casemiro behind him and Modric and again he reaches another level.

KDB and Silva do Pogba's role? Absolute nonsense. If you watch them play they're all over the place especially KDB who spends half his time on the wing. Having only Fernandino in that CDM role works for them because 90% of the time the ball's in front of them. Not to mention Pep and his inverted fullbacks. That isnt the case for us because we don't hold the ball as well as them.

Regarding Pogba, quite a few above have mentioned that we spent £90mill on the Pogba at Juve who became one of the best midfielders in the world and its the truth. Henry mentioned that you cant expect him to do the defensive work of someone like Kante, which is what Mourinho is trying because he isnt that player, nor has he shown he has that defensive capability. Its like we want him to be Pogba + Kante.

Seems as if Mourinho doesn't want to concede the truth because all the 'football Einstein's' are telling him and his pride wont accept him being in the wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Despite me saying we should play Fabregas in a 3 man midfield because he excels best there Mourinho didn't do that so it's not going to change now.

The fact he's being criticised for not doing it means that he is definitely not going to do it too.

ReputationRep:
    Modric the tank can do it in a 3, 2 or 1 man midfield though.

Cause he’s a ****ing tank who can do it all.

ReputationRep:
    Lel
    https://twitter.com/Mourinholic/stat...75138680918016

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell uses a 1 man midfield ffs?

ReputationRep:
    I see Mourinho's got Castles's making noise.

I know who i'm backing.

ReputationRep:
    There's no doubting Pogba's potential/talent he clearly has that but he needs to do a bit more.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6676129-...source=twitter

This is a good listen.

ReputationRep:
    Ever since Sanchez arrived Pogba has been subbed off twice and we've started to have all these problems.

Martial being impacted also. Arsenal gave us a ticking bomb???!

ReputationRep:
    Ever since Sanchez arrived Pogba has been subbed off twice and we've started to have all these problems.

Martial being impacted also. Arsenal gave us a ticking bomb???!
    Get a grip ffs man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    Get a grip ffs man
    Im just stating facts from the podcast I posted by Duncan Castles for discussion...

P. S. Before anyone thinks Im tryna start **** Im just posting discussion from the podcast for DISCUSSION (see post above with Duncan Castle podcast)

ReputationRep:
    Im just stating facts from the podcast I posted by Duncan Castles for discussion...
    It’s been what two games?

Mourinho losing a big top 6 game away and Mourinho not winning at Newcastle are things which have happened consistently. It’s not anything new and not linked to the Sanchez signing.

Like I said, it’s been two games. Far too early to judge anything.

ReputationRep:
    Its Castles's lol.

Guy would rather gouge his eyes out than criticise his bae.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.G.)
    It’s been what two games?

Mourinho losing a big top 6 game away and Mourinho not winning at Newcastle are things which have happened consistently. It’s not anything new and not linked to the Sanchez signing.

Like I said, it’s been two games. Far too early to judge anything.
    Did you listen to the podcast? If the answer is no, then dont bother replying and go focus on Chelsea.

Its what they (Duncan and the other host) were discussing in the podcast NOT a statement i just made up. Im just interested to hear people's thoughts on this matter which is why I posted it.

ReputationRep:
    Did you listen to the podcast? If the answer is no, then dont bother replying and go focus on Chelsea.

Its what they (Duncan and the other host) were discussing in the podcast NOT a statement i just made up. Im just interested to hear people's thoughts on this matter which is why I posted it.
    It’s an hour long, but I am listening to it.

My thoughts are what Rk said.

ReputationRep:
    Nice Valentine's gift from Memphis to bammy jastard 27

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Nice Valentine's gift from Memphis to bammy jastard 27
    Do not get the reference. He is my mcm tbf because mourinho tried to ruin him and he's now a boss.

Can't wait to buy him next season and he downs you guys at Stamford Bridge as you lie 17th place in December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Do not get the reference. He is my mcm tbf because mourinho tried to ruin him and he's now a boss.

Can't wait to buy him next season and he downs you guys at Stamford Bridge as you lie 17th place in December.
    I don’t get the Valentine reference but he scored an absolute stunner.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.