The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Imagine being Mourinho In.

Even Moyes never lost a European game at home and he played the newly crowned treble winners.
The Sanchez contract could be a real poison pill too. If he doesn't buck up soon then bloody hell...
Original post by trapking
Now this is an overreaction.

Come on now, we have clearly improved.

Mate you're turning into United's version of Ty.
Now this is an overreaction.

Come on now, we have clearly improved.

We have improved from Van Gaal and Moyes. That is true.

But he's had more time than both, spent a **** more and David ****ing Moyes went further in the CL.

This is the level we'll be at under Mourinho we wont improve frankly he isn't the same man he used to be.

Jardim/Poch with £350m but do way better 100%.
Original post by Hazard28
Mate you're turning into United's version of Ty.

I told you to stop quoting me.
Original post by Fizzel
I don't think fundamentally there was much difference between our attacking plan this game and Liverpool other than a Rashford quick fire double. Long and direct in attack, 6-3-1 passive numbers game in defence.

Why does he wait in most big games? His game plan is based on United keeping a clean sheet, like the first Spurs game he doesn't care whether the goal comes in the first or the final minute. Its risky and poor plan, but I don't think it can be called arrogance specifically against Sevilla when we are happy to ceed possession and influence in most games of this magnitude. As I said Sevilla are not a good team, certainly not defensively, so I don't see how being so cautious is arrogance. We showed Sevilla far too much respect, rather than not enough.

The reason I call it arrogance is because United tonight, I Thought, looked like a side who felt like they were going to win without putting any effort in. Like they could meander through this 2 legged tie and eventually Sevilla would bow down and let them have it. You simply cannot win games like That, especially in the knockout stages of the Champions League. Mourinho should be taking this seriously, win the game first, **** about later.
Really disappointed in Sanchez - he's been very poor for us when we gifted him the LW. Thought he'd be more in the box - when we crossed the ball only Lukaku was really in the box
I didn't say we lost the game because of Pogba though neither did I blame the loss on any specific player. I just pointed out that Sanchez and Pogba have been quite bad for us.
I didn't say anything about loss. I said you are looking for Pogba to control games, which isn't a possibility unless the team set up to do that. Even the best of midfield controllers need passing options movement, and crucially the ball. We don't set out to do that so even if Pogba was a midfield control, which he's not, you can't expect him to be controlling games.

Sounds like you're Mourinho out also now? Lol fans turning real quick :lol:
I'm not in or out, I set out the limitations of the coach and stay within that. Jose is limited, but he's improved us no end, we're second in the league with more points than any time recently. He's a draw and is helping us sign players than wouldn't have looked twice under Moyes or LVG. If Pep ****s off, he could well win us a title.

I'm not Jose out, but like I said I swap him for Allegri or Poch without hesitation. That said we still need more team building and Jose can improve us in that respect. Any new manager isn't going to take us to the top with some of the players we have in key positions.

Original post by mojojojo101
The reason I call it arrogance is because United tonight, I Thought, looked like a side who felt like they were going to win without putting any effort in. Like they could meander through this 2 legged tie and eventually Sevilla would bow down and let them have it. You simply cannot win games like That, especially in the knockout stages of the Champions League. Mourinho should be taking this seriously, win the game first, **** about later.
Broadly speaking I agree I just didn't think it is unusual.
Sanchez has been awful since he came.

Its ok though because he runs around a lot chasing after balls he loses.
Original post by Rk2k14
We have improved from Van Gaal and Moyes. That is true.

But he's had more time than both, spent a **** more and David ****ing Moyes went further in the CL.

And that is exactly my point.

We have suffered under 2 managers already and I think people are expecting way too much of a jump in progress in such a short period of time which is a bit unrealistic. I think (and also the board clearly thought the same) Mourinho has done a good job thus far compared to the **** we have had to endure for the last few years (and hence why they gave him an extension). As I said before he's actually doing a good job rebuilding the team and getting rid of the deadwood and should have this summer to at least get closer to the team he is trying to build.

Next season should be Mou's final season to prove that after this summer window he can win the PL. If he doesn't we can then sack him and get an attacking manager but that new manager will have a much easier job given the young players Mou will have left in this team e.g. Bailly/Lindelof/Martial/Lukau/Pogba etc. so the new manager will have a good base and probably won't need to spend as much to tweak the team.

Getting rid of Mou now when we have progressed much further as a club than we did under 2 managers before him would be foolish. I feel the same frustration as you all after today's game but don't let that cloud your judgement on the improvement we have actually made.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14

Trying to work out if he is the worst wide player at the club since the likes of bebe and obertan or if he' been even worse than those 2 idiots...
On Sanchez, I don't think dropping a known selfish attacker who has spent the last few years doing whatever the **** he wanted, into a disfunctional attacking system and saying do whatever the **** you want just make sure you track back, is ever going to end well.

Be real, if Sanchez had gone to City he'd be lighting it up. Pep knows who Sanchez is and still wanted to sign him a second time. He's a good player.
@trapking
Nah enough is enough.

Do we have an identity in our team? No.
Is going into every big game with a defeatist attitude something we should appreciate? No.

Give a top manager the time and budget Jose's had, we'd be much closer to City and wouldn't be laughing at getting knocked out of the CL by a team with a negative GD in La Liga.
Original post by Rk2k14
@trapking
Nah enough is enough.

Is going into every big game with a defeatist attitude something we should appreciate? No.

Give a top manager the time and budget Jose's had, we'd be much closer to City and wouldn't be laughing at getting knocked out of the CL by a team with a negative GD in La Liga.

So who replaces Mou now if he gets sacked tomorrow hypothetically speaking?

Poch won't leave Spurs and is somewhat of a risk, Jardim is another risk, Tuchel another risk, Marco Silva another risk....

The thing is we will end up getting an "attacking manager" and then end up finishing 6th then what? lol
Reply 914
Original post by Fizzel
On Sanchez, I don't think dropping a known selfish attacker who has spent the last few years doing whatever the **** he wanted, into a disfunctional attacking system and saying do whatever the **** you want just make sure you track back, is ever going to end well.

Be real, if Sanchez had gone to City he'd be lighting it up. Pep knows who Sanchez is and still wanted to sign him a second time. He's a good player.

Pep will probably be a bit more detailed in his tactical instructions and just get him high and wide instead of being in a free role that he likes(which Sterling probably is better as an option there because of his movements to stretch the pitch in comparison to Sanchez collecting the ball from deep and having a lot of creative freedom, heck Pep probably would find a way to get Walcott scoring 20 goals a season in that setup). Funnily enough despite being known for playing attacking football Pep is very detailed in his tactical instructions and their attacking movements in comparison to Mourinho who just lets them do what they want offensively and lets the individual quality just shine through like you say.

He'd probably be scoring because of the way City play, do I think he'd be doing particularly better than who City use right now? Probably not but he'd be a good option to have as City like to play with fast wingers. I reckon that's more so the reason why Pep wanted him so badly, when he realised Sterling's fulfilling his potential in that system he saw less of a need to really go for him for that amount which is why they pulled out the deal. He just wanted other options in case Sterling or Sane gets injured. Bernardo Silva isn't the wide player Pep wants I don't think.

Original post by Rk2k14
@trapking
Nah enough is enough.

You might as well just get Conte if he's sacked.

Original post by Rk2k14

This lol.
Lukaku - "some players were hiding"
Reply 916
Away goals rule literally came into play to stop teams parking the bus away from home.

Mourinho still does it.

Cost him in 2013/14 against Atletico and it’s cost him against Sevilla.

Don’t get why you wouldn’t attack a team shipping 5 to ‘defensive’ Atletico and ****ing Eibar.
bring in Tony Kross and swap him for Pogba.

Why would Toni Kroos* leave Real Madrid for Man Utd?
Original post by S.G.
Away goals rule literally came into play to stop teams parking the bus away from home.

Mourinho still does it.

Cost him in 2013/14 against Atletico and it’s cost him against Sevilla.

Don’t get why you wouldn’t attack a team shipping 5 to ‘defensive’ Atletico and ****ing Eibar.

Mourinho just thinks “important game” and immediately plays defensive. Doesn’t even seem to consider anything else and it’s laughable at this stage.

Quality manager over his career, but the resources generally available to him have been plentiful. He might get the odd result in a big game, but his football is painful to watch and he’s never gonna win the biggest competitions playing like this.

I just don’t understand why he set up so defensively in a game he had to score in. Did he just assume you’d win 1-0 and was too arrogant to consider the possibility of a Sevilla goal? 🤔
Reply 919
Original post by Lúcio
Mourinho just thinks “important game” and immediately plays defensive. Doesn’t even seem to consider anything else and it’s laughable at this stage.

Quality manager over his career, but the resources generally available to him have been plentiful. He might get the odd result in a big game, but his football is painful to watch and he’s never gonna win the biggest competitions playing like this.

I just don’t understand why he set up so defensively in a game he had to score in. Did he just assume you’d win 1-0 and was too arrogant to consider the possibility of a Sevilla goal? 🤔

I would’ve thought they would’ve played the lineup they played against Chelsea and Liverpool. He would’ve sat back if they had a lead. Made the same mistake against Atletico, PSG and now Sevilla. Three consecutive seasons in the CL he’s lost out because he didn’t attack.

Amazing how it’s gone from “English teams are back” to Spurs and United out. Yet to see if Chelsea can beat Barcelona. Lol.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest