Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not gonna get to personal, but due to serious illness, my mother claims benefits to help run the house.
    Due to personal reasons, I think it's time I move out (I know it sounds foolish and clichè of a 17/18 year old, but I have my own reasons) but I can't actually hold any form of part time work without my mum's benefits being heavily reduced. I had a part time job around 6 months ago which I had to give up because of this problem (basically, I was only able to work EXACTLY 12 hours a week.. I worked in catering, doing 12 hours on the dot isn't exactly possible when it's a busy shift) and I was getting flack for making her have to pay for my own "selfishness".
    My question is: is it possible?

How much do the benefits decrease by if you work more than 12 hours? Presumably they're decreasing because her dependant is getting their own income in which case you can give her some money each month for food etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.