The Student Room Group

Special consideration for bereavement?

It feels wrong almost even asking the question but my father recently passed away and although it is a while before my exams the time I have taken off to deal with his death has left me behind on work (which I was already behind on due to illness) and really stressed out.
One of my friends mentioned something about special consideration for all the time that I've had off this year, has anyone been in a similar situation?

I've looked online but have only seen absence or illness as a reason for it.

I appreciate any help.
Original post by HakunaMatata2k
It feels wrong almost even asking the question but my father recently passed away and although it is a while before my exams the time I have taken off to deal with his death has left me behind on work (which I was already behind on due to illness) and really stressed out.
One of my friends mentioned something about special consideration for all the time that I've had off this year, has anyone been in a similar situation?

I've looked online but have only seen absence or illness as a reason for it.

I appreciate any help.

Sorry for your loss, I'm sure it's been a very difficult time.
Unfortunately, special consideration probably doesn't apply to your situation. It is only really designed to compensate for disruption affecting you during the exams and not for earlier things that have got in the way of you studying for the course. If you have made university applications this year it may be possible for your school to explain your situation to your firm and insurance choices who might then be more flexible if you miss your required grades.
Original post by gdunne42
Sorry for your loss, I'm sure it's been a very difficult time.
Unfortunately, special consideration probably doesn't apply to your situation. It is only really designed to compensate for disruption affecting you during the exams and not for earlier things that have got in the way of you studying for the course. If you have made university applications this year it may be possible for your school to explain your situation to your firm and insurance choices who might then be more flexible if you miss your required grades.

Okay thanks a lot, I'll try my best and see what I can do when some time has passed.
Original post by HakunaMatata2k
Okay thanks a lot, I'll try my best and see what I can do when some time has passed.

Talk to someone at school about how you are feeling and if iyou think that your bereavement is continuing to affect your study they can make an application on your behalf. The worst that can happen is the examiners say no.

Quick Reply

Latest