Turn on thread page Beta

My best friend got cheated on by my other best friend with another one of my friends watch

ReputationRep:
    So two of my best friends got together (both are girls; Penny and Belle). Everyone in our whole friendship group was briefly really happy. Then Penny (the friend that I'd known for longer) cheated on Belle with another one of our friends (Rain). Penny broke up with Belle over text and didn't tell Belle that she had cheated on her or anything. I texted both Penny and Belle to see what had happened (I had got a distressed call from Belle) and found out that not only had Penny cheated on Belle with Rain, but Penny was now with Rain as well, she also hadn't told Belle about either of these things. I suggest that Penny tells Belle about both of these things; which she did. Belle didn't take this knowledge very well (she had major trust issues and to know that two of her best friends had done that to her was wounding). So fast forward a few weeks and they have to see each other again (they attend Uni together), I at this point am trying to remain neutral, Penny tries to apologise after a lot of pestering by her friends as an online break up is awful. Her apology was extremely self-centred and just escalated the hate and pain for Belle.
    I ended up siding with Belle, she was my better friend and she was completely trustworthy. Penny ended up moving away from the group. Just worth mentioning at this point the toxic break up was killing the whole group and no one was benefiting from this sticky situation.
    A few days ago Penny messaged me saying happy birthday and informing me that she wanted to rekindle our friendship. At this point it had been about four months since everything had been okay between everything and about three months since i had last spoken to her. She messaged me at an awkward time as this would've been our four year anniversary, and i was reading through the messages that we'd exchanged. In short I kind of miss her, but the pain and stress she caused me definitely dampens her reputation. I also don't want to hurt Belle either as Penny left us all in such awkward positions. I am in such a dilemma and i need some outside advice, please help!
    Many thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kit-cat26)
    So two of my best friends got together (both are girls; Penny and Belle). Everyone in our whole friendship group was briefly really happy. Then Penny (the friend that I'd known for longer) cheated on Belle with another one of our friends (Rain). Penny broke up with Belle over text and didn't tell Belle that she had cheated on her or anything. I texted both Penny and Belle to see what had happened (I had got a distressed call from Belle) and found out that not only had Penny cheated on Belle with Rain, but Penny was now with Rain as well, she also hadn't told Belle about either of these things. I suggest that Penny tells Belle about both of these things; which she did. Belle didn't take this knowledge very well (she had major trust issues and to know that two of her best friends had done that to her was wounding). So fast forward a few weeks and they have to see each other again (they attend Uni together), I at this point am trying to remain neutral, Penny tries to apologise after a lot of pestering by her friends as an online break up is awful. Her apology was extremely self-centred and just escalated the hate and pain for Belle.
    I ended up siding with Belle, she was my better friend and she was completely trustworthy. Penny ended up moving away from the group. Just worth mentioning at this point the toxic break up was killing the whole group and no one was benefiting from this sticky situation.
    A few days ago Penny messaged me saying happy birthday and informing me that she wanted to rekindle our friendship. At this point it had been about four months since everything had been okay between everything and about three months since i had last spoken to her. She messaged me at an awkward time as this would've been our four year anniversary, and i was reading through the messages that we'd exchanged. In short I kind of miss her, but the pain and stress she caused me definitely dampens her reputation. I also don't want to hurt Belle either as Penny left us all in such awkward positions. I am in such a dilemma and i need some outside advice, please help!
    Many thanks!
    Personally I would make a choice (Belle) as being neutral could hurt Belle.

I would also struggle to be close to someone who knowingly cheated on someone and has stuck with that person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)

I would also struggle to be close to someone who knowingly cheated on someone and has stuck with that person

I agree. I just feel like I can't live with Penny knowing what she did to hurt everyone (including me), but when i look back on the times we shared together i start to feel guilty.
    And also, Penny and Rain are now back together (after being broken up for about a week for reasons that were unclear).
    Penny also joined the same club as Belle and now things are awkward all the time. I purposely didn't invite her as I knew it would cause friction (one of our other friends, who didn't stop to consider Belle's feelings [she prefers to ignore everything that happened], invited her instead). So that was a great conversation to have with Belle and tell her that I didn't invite her.

Any other opinions are welcome.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.