Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

I need some advice regarding my chances in getting into one of the above courses, I got the following GCSEs results listed below:

Biology; A*
    Chemistry A*
    Physics A
    Maths 9
    English Language 6
    Business Studies B
    History C

I am currently in 1st year of college, I've picked Biology, Chemistry and Law, currently predicted 3 A's...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what a 6 in English is equivalent to (I sat the old system) but I would probably make sure that you meet the minimum requirements (aka look at the entry requirements). Stay away from GCSE heavy medical/dentistry schools. Your chances depend on where you apply, what you get in your admissions exams, what your A-level grades are, how you perform in interviews, how you use your work experience, your personal statement etc.

Also, you may want to decide between the two as they are quite different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luqman12673863)
    Hi ,

I need some advice regarding my chances in getting into one of the above courses, I got the following GCSEs results listed below:

Biology; A*
    Chemistry A*
    Physics A
    Maths 9
    English Language 6
    Business Studies B
    History C

I am currently in 1st year of college, I've picked Biology, Chemistry and Law, currently predicted 3 A's...
    As above, English may be an issue but i'm not sure what a 6 translates to. 7 GSCE's is also quite low as number wise as a few med schools ask for your top 9 ect, so avoid them.

I would decide whether you want to Medicine or Dentistry first though.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you have to look at your stats when applying, but do you like med / dent? Like mentioned previously, look at their requirements. Have you done any work experience? There is the admissions test - UKCAT and BMAT, you could still get into med and dent universites with a solid UKCAT/BMAT scores. I would suggest you check the GCSE requirements with some of the Uni's.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I have been put off by some people, that there would be no point in applying as others have A*s in GCSEs...

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say you can get in as long as you apply strategically. However why dentistry or medicine? Don't you know which one you want to do? Is it your parents? Is it the money?Think hard about why you want to do these courses and choose one or none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luqman12673863)
    I have been put off by some people, that there would be no point in applying as others have A*s in GCSEs...
    just a few back up factors that may help here:

.focus on ur on a-levels because they are the most important

.There's always a post grad entry (which may be a little more expensive)

.You can always go abroad to study

.There's always a foundation year to take

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.