The Student Room Group

Is a smart car a smart choice for a smart 17 year old. Did i mention smart?

On a serious note is a smart car a good first car for a 17 year old boy?
I am down to either a corsa or a swift. But i think the smart car is a good viable option, the only problem i see for me is it isnt 4 seats so i cant have a few at once.

Seem very good on insurance for me and very cheap to fill up etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrCole&Co
On a serious note is a smart car a good first car

A truly smart seventeen-year old would know that they are called Smarts and not smart cars, just as Jaguars are not known as Jaguar cars and Bentleys are not known as Bentley cars.
Original post by Good bloke
A truly smart seventeen-year old would know that they are called Smarts and not smart cars, just as Jaguars are not known as Jaguar cars and Bentleys are not known as Bentley cars.

Not helpful at all but thankyou
Reply 3
Not helpful at all but thankyou

Gonna also correct you in that a smart car isn't a car, it is infact a box on wheels.
Original post by IWMTom
Gonna also correct you in that a smart car isn't a car, it is infact a box on wheels.

Even more helpful , thankyou tom.
Don't be put off by sneering at the car. They are cheap and will get you mobile in a very cost-effective way, which, after all, is paramount at such a young age.
On a serious note is a smart car a good first car for a 17 year old boy?
I am down to either a corsa or a swift. But i think the smart car is a good viable option, the only problem i see for me is it isnt 4 seats so i cant have a few at once.

Seem very good on insurance for me and very cheap to fill up etc

Please do check online for long term running cost, reliability and major issues with the car. I would never buy a car without doing my own research on it.
Reply 7
A smart car is a smart choice for a a smart boy, to be smart, but in smartness it is rivaled by smarter cars that are not smart cars, but merely cars that are smart.
Original post by math42
A smart car is a smart choice for a a smart boy, to be smart, but in smartness it is rivaled by smarter cars that are not smart cars, but merely cars that are smart.

you just blew my mind.....Speechless
Original post by Good bloke
Don't be put off by sneering at the car. They are cheap and will get you mobile in a very cost-effective way, which, after all, is paramount at such a young age.

Cheers fella
OP is taking L’s
Original post by HateOCR
OP is taking L’s

What L's am i receiving boy?
Reply 12
how much are you quoted on insurance? normally insurance prices are terrible for every 18-20 yr old

my first car was a 1.2 and my first year of insurance was around 1200(with black box) a year
im in my 2nd year now and its dropped to 880(whithout blackbox) a year

normally i would suggest small engined car for your first few years just to get No claims bonus and driving experience then when you turn like 20 over then get a bigger engine car because insurance should be lower
Original post by Rahnem
how much are you quoted on insurance? normally insurance prices are terrible for every 18-20 yr old

my first car was a 1.2 and my first year of insurance was around 1200(with black box) a year
im in my 2nd year now and its dropped to 880(whithout blackbox) a year

normally i would suggest small engined car for your first few years just to get No claims bonus and driving experience then when you turn like 20 over then get a bigger engine car because insurance should be lower

1.7k with box 3k ish without box
Reply 14
geez - id suggest getting parents on the quote - it normally drops the insurance price quite a lot - adjust job details as well.

insurance also affects where you live aswell i have found out.
i got my quotes done through compare the market so id go through that if you have not already

i wouldn't recommend anything higher than a 1.4 for your first car

i quoted on a civic type s 2011 1.4 at around 1k without black box (im 19, 20 this year)
Original post by Rahnem
geez - id suggest getting parents on the quote - it normally drops the insurance price quite a lot - adjust job details as well.

insurance also affects where you live aswell i have found out.
i got my quotes done through compare the market so id go through that if you have not already

i wouldn't recommend anything higher than a 1.4 for your first car

i quoted on a civic type s 2011 1.4 at around 1k without black box (im 19, 20 this year)

My mum is on the quote already...my quotes are terrible for some reason. Maybe because i just passed but yea
Reply 16
I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those things, slow, ugly and unsafe because of how small and weak they are. Also the fact that you will pay 1.7k for insurance is just extortionate. Go for something obscure.
corsa is your best option followed by a swift. smart cars are so ugly and will make you look like a nonce. also having a car is no fun if you can only have one person with you at a time. really impractical car. how are you going to fit all your stuff in there? not a smart idea at all
Original post by showaeski
corsa is your best option followed by a swift. smart cars are so ugly and will make you look like a nonce. also having a car is no fun if you can only have one person with you at a time. really impractical car. how are you going to fit all your stuff in there? not a smart idea at all

only downside is its 2 seats, but what am i going to need to fit in there? I can fit a gym bag, shopping, a person if need be, suitcases all fit.

Its made by mercedes so the car is great quality.

I wont look like a nonce if im 17 but cheers.
only downside is its 2 seats, but what am i going to need to fit in there? I can fit a gym bag, shopping, a person if need be, suitcases all fit.

Its made by mercedes so the car is great quality.

I wont look like a nonce if im 17 but cheers.

if you plan on going to uni and moving all your stuff in your car then you're going to have difficulty. wouldn't it also be nice to have the option of legally driving with more than one passenger?

i think you will look like a nonce if i'm honest but it's all down to your taste.

Quick Reply

Latest