The Student Room Group

Is a smart car a smart choice for a smart 17 year old. Did i mention smart?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by showaeski
if you plan on going to uni and moving all your stuff in your car then you're going to have difficulty. wouldn't it also be nice to have the option of legally driving with more than one passenger?

i think you will look like a nonce if i'm honest but it's all down to your taste.

Not going uni, waste of time and money.
You'll look ridiculous, it's not an age thing, however, it is eco efficient and can be parked in the most obscene orientations anywhere. Still recall my nephew's first birthday 2 weekends back where my in-law parked his smart horizontally on the drive behind my sister's car so 3 hatchback sized could fit on the drive lol. Tom will hate me for this but they're just simply good Cars (or boxes on wheels, Kappa). But unless I was doing the same commute every day with no other purpose in life, nah, I wouldn't get one. You have to bare in mind aforementioned in-law is also insured on my Sister's Golf, so he never actually drives the smart unless he's going to work or a quick run to the shops.

I'd rather drive a smart over a corsa or a swift anyway. But then again, I'd drive a Proton Savvy over a Corsa.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
You'll look ridiculous, it's not an age thing, however, it is eco efficient and can be parked in the most obscene orientations anywhere. Still recall my nephew's first birthday 2 weekends back where my in-law parked his smart horizontally on the drive behind my sister's car so 3 hatchback sized could fit on the drive lol. Tom will hate me for this but they're just simply good Cars (or boxes on wheels, Kappa). But unless I was doing the same commute every day with no other purpose in life, nah, I wouldn't get one. You have to bare in mind aforementioned in-law is also insured on my Sister's Golf, so he never actually drives the smart unless he's going to work or a quick run to the shops.

I'd rather drive a smart over a corsa or a swift anyway. But then again, I'd drive a Proton Savvy over a Corsa.

Probably will go for it tbh, cheap to run and is made well. Wont look too much like a chav on wheels compared to a corsa.
Reply 23
Original post by MrCole&Co
Probably will go for it tbh, cheap to run and is made well. Wont look too much like a chav on wheels compared to a corsa.

You'll just look ever so slightly worse! :wink:
Original post by nevershear
But then again, I'd drive a Proton Savvy over a Corsa.

Wow... you really do hate Corsas :lol:

How long can you see yourself having it before you'll want a new car?
How long can you see yourself having it before you'll want a new car?

getting an audi TT/ Toytoa GT 86 in about 2/3 years despite what ever car i get now
My mate has one, they’re mad. Proper smooth car but space is too small to do bits in wid a girl X
getting an audi TT/ Toytoa GT 86 in about 2/3 years despite what ever car i get now

See this is why it baffles me. Those are good looking cars and so are swifts and corsas so that's why it confuses me that you find smart cars visually appealing. Anyway, if this is just a short term car then I guess just get whatever is best value for money. Probs won't pull if you're in a smart car though.
Original post by TPsych20
My mate has one, they’re mad. Proper smooth car but space is too small to do bits in wid a girl X

ill make it work.
See this is why it baffles me. Those are good looking cars and so are swifts and corsas so that's why it confuses me that you find smart cars visually appealing. Anyway, if this is just a short term car then I guess just get whatever is best value for money. Probs won't pull if you're in a smart car though.

got a bird already
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Wow... you really do hate Corsas :lol:

"What's the ugliest, most disgusting, sluggish, metal plank on 4 wheels I can think of that isn't the Mitsubishi Mirage or an older series Corsa... I know!"

ill make it work.

Lmao.
On a serious note is a smart car a good first car for a 17 year old boy?
I am down to either a corsa or a swift. But i think the smart car is a good viable option, the only problem i see for me is it isnt 4 seats so i cant have a few at once.

Seem very good on insurance for me and very cheap to fill up etc

If you're looking at a Corsa, I have a 2014 1.2 'limited edition' one, which is pretty fun to race around in on back roads especially. Not too slow once revved out, but it can be pretty hard to overtake with the low torque, however good mpg and looks good (even though underpowered).

Another downside with Corsas is they have a lot of coil pack problems. Myself and 2 cousins have had Corsas, all of which had to have coil pack replacements. If you're gonna get one, talk to the person/dealer selling it to see if it's had a coil pack replacement.

The insurance may also be expensive depending on what model, because some (like the limited ed) have alloys etc... They are also renowned to be crashed by boy racers.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending