Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I absolutely hate pancakes. Everything about them is just wrong but every single year somebody bullies me into trying the horrible soggy mess that is pancakes with lemon and sugar. Ew. Even the thought of a unicorn shaped one isn't winning me over!

But, I'm giving them one last try; a final attempt to be part of the pancake day festivities. I'm 90% certain they'll always be a hard nay for me but who knows? Maybe I've just not met the right one yet.

Are some toppings less awful than others? Am I doing something wrong? Why even put sugar and lemon on them anyway? Somebody reassure me that I'm not alone in my dislike of the soggy mush!

*nobody recommend Nutella, that should only be eaten from a spoon :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    I don't like pancakes either, even when I was young I didn't care for them :nah:
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Wait it's pancake day?? :eek4:
    How can you love oatcakes but hate pancakes :beard:
    And to answer the question, yay if it's the really thin lemon ones that my mum used to make. Nay if it's them horrible thick ones ew
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Pancakes the way British people make them = :yucky:

Horrible wobbly mess of batter that are basically equivalent to eating rubber.

Pancakes the way Canadians make them = :gah:

Proper thick cakey pancakes with butter and authentic maple syrup (and maybe some bacon too) are great.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had any for years but they are good warm. I'd rather have some homemade cheese scones though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I absolutely hate pancakes. Everything about them is just wrong but every single year somebody bullies me into trying the horrible soggy mess that is pancakes with lemon and sugar. Ew. Even the thought of a unicorn shaped one isn't winning me over!

But, I'm giving them one last try; a final attempt to be part of the pancake day festivities. I'm 90% certain they'll always be a hard nay for me but who knows? Maybe I've just not met the right one yet.

Are some toppings less awful than others? Am I doing something wrong? Why even put sugar and lemon on them anyway? Somebody reassure me that I'm not alone in my dislike of the soggy mush!

*nobody recommend Nutella, that should only be eaten from a spoon :fyi:
    WOW how can you hate pancakes? And I respected you! :spank:

For the sweet version I usually just have like blueberries (other berries if I got them in too) with like whipped double cream or syrup (depends if Im lazy xD) :cookie:

Then for our savoury my sister makes some godly pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup :drool::eating::love:

• Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dez)

Proper thick cakey pancakes with butter and authentic maple syrup (and maybe some bacon too) are great.
    The cakey ones are the worst :yucky: they are the same nausea-inducingness as waffles
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I don't like pancakes either, even when I was young I didn't care for them :nah:
    I'm glad I'm not alone! More than happy to make them but eating them is just weird.

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    Wait it's pancake day?? :eek4:
    How can you love oatcakes but hate pancakes :beard:
    And to answer the question, yay if it's the really thin lemon ones that my mum used to make. Nay if it's them horrible thick ones ew
    Yup! Oatcakes are amazing and not in the same league as pancakes which are vile little mush monsters. And they're savoury instead of weird and sweet.

Everybody asks how I can love one and not the other - like Deyesy said at the weekend - oatcakes are just savoury pancakes. He's wrong but I understand it

You like your pancakes like I like my oatcakes! Super thin is the only way to go. Don't put lemon on my oatcakes though!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I'm glad I'm not alone! More than happy to make them but eating them is just weird.

Yup! Oatcakes are amazing and not in the same league as pancakes which are vile little mush monsters. And they're savoury instead of weird and sweet.

Everybody asks how I can love one and not the other - like Deyesy said at the weekend - oatcakes are just savoury pancakes. He's wrong but I understand it

You like your pancakes like I like my oatcakes! Super thin is the only way to go. Don't put lemon on my oatcakes though!
    Lemon and sugar
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dez)

YES! A stack of proper tasty pancakes with syrup and blueberries and tastiness! English ones are just weird and pointless.

I live for blueberry oatmeal buttermilk pancakes. They're my happy place. Maybe I can just make those today instead!

(Original post by Bio 7)
    I haven't had any for years but they are good warm. I'd rather have some homemade cheese scones though.
    I would kill for a cheese scone. Reminds me of DofE because we always find a shop selling scones on our last day.

I've tried pancakes straight from the pan. Still a hard nope

(Original post by Kraggor)
    WOW how can you hate pancakes? And I respected you! :spank:

For the sweet version I usually just have like blueberries (other berries if I got them in too) with like whipped double cream or syrup (depends if Im lazy xD) :cookie:

Then for our savoury my sister makes some godly pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup :drool::eating::love:

But they're so icky! Why are they just mush and they have no backbone or texture. I can't think of a single way to redeem them but I love making things too much to avoid making them :cry2:

The cakey ones are the worst :yucky: they are the same nausea-inducingness as waffles
    OH NO. NO NO NO. WAFFLES? YOU DON'T LIKE WAFFLES.

SAY IT ISN'T SO.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    YES! A stack of proper tasty pancakes with syrup and blueberries and tastiness! English ones are just weird and pointless.

I live for blueberry oatmeal buttermilk pancakes. They're my happy place. Maybe I can just make those today instead!

I would kill for a cheese scone. Reminds me of DofE because we always find a shop selling scones on our last day.

But they're so icky! Why are they just mush and they have no backbone or texture. I can't think of a single way to redeem them but I love making things too much to avoid making them :cry2:

SAY IT ISN'T SO.
    Waffles make me feel sick :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe this Cavy :cry2:

:getmecoat:

SAY IT ISN'T SO.
    Thick pancakes are bae and blueberries makes everything soooo good! :love:
    Then again oatmeal ones are amazing too but I do like all food so kinda biased

(Original post by Dez)

Canadians!? Yasssss! Thick cakey pancakes!? Yas yasssss! Maple Syrup?! Super Yas yasssss! and some bacon? *faints from induging love*

You are more than correct such wise words
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I don't like waffles either actually, but canadian pancakes are still the best. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Gotta say that I love eating and making pancakes (assuming UK style), although from above messages it sounds like other variations of pancakes are pretty good too
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Oh. Oh dear. That's not good. Waffles and ice cream is one of my favourite things in the world. Especially at breakfast. I can see why somebody wouldn't want them though.

More for me I guess!
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    I can't believe this Cavy :cry2:

:getmecoat:

Thick pancakes are bae and blueberries makes everything soooo good! :love:
    Then again oatmeal ones are amazing too but I do like all food so kinda biased

Canadians!? Yasssss! Thick cakey pancakes!? Yas yasssss! Maple Syrup?! Super Yas yasssss! and some bacon? *faints from induging love*

You are more than correct such wise words
    Blueberries are such a nuisance though. There's a 5-minute window where they're perfect. Outside of that, the texture is just mushy or the flavour is weird. such a pain!

I also enjoy food. I adore baking things but I never actually eat anything I bake. There's a perfectly good Harry Potter inspired treacle tart waiting for some love at home right now!

(Original post by Dez)
    I don't like waffles either actually, but canadian pancakes are still the best. :yep:
    You're all wrong

(Original post by WestDragon)
    Gotta say that I love eating and making pancakes (assuming UK style), although from above messages it sounds like other variations of pancakes are pretty good too
    Try the other types too! How do you eat your pancakes? I'm not hearing much outside of the sugary lemon situation!

ReputationRep:
    Blueberries are such a nuisance though. There's a 5-minute window where they're perfect. Outside of that, the texture is just mushy or the flavour is weird. such a pain!

I also enjoy food. I adore baking things but I never actually eat anything I bake. There's a perfectly good Harry Potter inspired treacle tart waiting for some love at home right now!
    Okay I actually agree wtih you on this one xD I hate when things like fruit go soggy and mushy and I understand the blueberry issue

I'll buy a packet and within a day or two it all goes off to being soft and hence why I have to eat just ALOT in one go haha

But, omg I can't wait to do more cooking and baking later this year!

And this is perfect! You bake food (which I adore so much :love: ) and then send it over to me to devour and enjoy and give you lovely compliments on your baking:flutter::yep:

Don't tease me with Harry potter treats when I'm stuck in a team meeting

ReputationRep:
    Try the other types too! How do you eat your pancakes? I'm not hearing much outside of the sugary lemon situation!
    Personally I enjoy then with some Lyle's golden syrup drizzled on top. Lemon and Sugar just isn't appetizing at all... Sticky sour sweet mess :/ I would like to try other types but have no idea where to do so haha .

ReputationRep:
    Breton pancakes ftw:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-m308_9dffc...lette+oops.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Are you talking about the thicker, smaller pancakes, or the thinner, larger ones (forgive me for not knowing their actual names oof)?

Either way, I find both of them delicious :daydreaming: Absolutely nothing beats a pancake covered in Nutella and fresh strawberries.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Meh. They're one of those things I don't really care for.

I did have some nice ones in Dublin though. They had bacon and maple syrup.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.