Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pancakes - yay or nay? watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I absolutely hate pancakes. Everything about them is just wrong...
    :headfire: :nothing: :reaper:

I think I may have to disown you now :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Thick Canadian style pancakes with maple syrup etc.? Sure. Thin English style ones with lemon and sugar? Sure. Waffles with ice cream for breakkfast? Sure. Really I'm just on board with all of it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    Okay I actually agree wtih you on this one xD I hate when things like fruit go soggy and mushy and I understand the blueberry issue

I'll buy a packet and within a day or two it all goes off to being soft and hence why I have to eat just ALOT in one go haha

But, omg I can't wait to do more cooking and baking later this year!

And this is perfect! You bake food (which I adore so much :love: ) and then send it over to me to devour and enjoy and give you lovely compliments on your baking:flutter::yep:

Don't tease me with Harry potter treats when I'm stuck in a team meeting
    Blueberries with a bit of sugar to soften them up takes away from the icky texture if they go weird.

I feed it to @deyesy! I think he's sick of the piles of baked things I make and wander away from. It's been chocolate dinosaur shortbread, chocolate and golden syrup cornflake cakes and a tart in the last week. I need to get into the habit of eating these things!

Could be worse, you could be stuck teaching!

(Original post by WestDragon)
    Personally I enjoy then with some Lyle's golden syrup drizzled on top. Lemon and Sugar just isn't appetizing at all... Sticky sour sweet mess :/ I would like to try other types but have no idea where to do so haha .
    Ooooh. I like golden syrup. That could possibly win me over!

I think I could get behind those!

(Original post by xDarcey)
    Are you talking about the thicker, smaller pancakes, or the thinner, larger ones (forgive me for not knowing their actual names oof)?

Either way, I find both of them delicious :daydreaming: Absolutely nothing beats a pancake covered in Nutella and fresh strawberries.
    The big thin ones that are insanely fun to flip but icky to eat! Nutella isn't an allowed answer and I'm too much of a strawberry snob for strawberries. There's no redeeming me!

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Meh. They're one of those things I don't really care for.

I did have some nice ones in Dublin though. They had bacon and maple syrup.
    Savoury pancakes are definitely the way to go. Had some at a depsoc meet (even before it became MHSS!) a couple of years ago and I can still remember them for being nommy.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

You wouldn't disown me ever. I'm too precious

(Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    Thick Canadian style pancakes with maple syrup etc.? Sure. Thin English style ones with lemon and sugar? Sure. Waffles with ice cream for breakkfast? Sure. Really I'm just on board with all of it!
    I like you. You can stay Anyone baking up waffles and ice cream for breakfast has excellent food choice!
    (Except for the lemon and sugar pancake mush bit! Still nope.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Blueberries with a bit of sugar to soften them up takes away from the icky texture if they go weird.

I feed it to @deyesy! I think he's sick of the piles of baked things I make and wander away from. It's been chocolate dinosaur shortbread, chocolate and golden syrup cornflake cakes and a tart in the last week. I need to get into the habit of eating these things!

Could be worse, you could be stuck teaching!
    oo really? :shock: I will have to give that a go next time!:yep: Thanks for your wisdom :hugs:

You can't get me all hungry and then feed it all to him:bawling:
    Plus I need some bulking up
    You should do! They all sound amazing and you're missing out on it

What do you teach? And I dunno, a few weeks ago I fell asleep in a project meeting :rofl: I had a bad run of insomnia that week so manager luckily understood
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    oo really? :shock: I will have to give that a go next time!:yep: Thanks for your wisdom :hugs:

You can't get me all hungry and then feed it all to him:bawling:
    Plus I need some bulking up
    You should do! They all sound amazing and you're missing out on it

What do you teach? And I dunno, a few weeks ago I fell asleep in a project meeting :rofl: I had a bad run of insomnia that week so manager luckily understood
    Definitely the way to go with berries just a bit past the good stage. Blueberries and strawberries like that on top of tasty pancakes is one of my favourite things in the world.

Computer science I've fallen asleep mid-lesson before the day after parents evening. It was only a couple of nods and I only had two students in my class at the time so I think I got away with it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Definitely the way to go with berries just a bit past the good stage. Blueberries and strawberries like that on top of tasty pancakes is one of my favourite things in the world.

Computer science I've fallen asleep mid-lesson before the day after parents evening. It was only a couple of nods and I only had two students in my class at the time so I think I got away with it!
    I just generally love berries One of my favourite snacks too :yep:

Got anymore wonderful tips or ideas?:flutter:

That's awesome! Computer science is something I should of probably done especially with me doing Developer and IT/Business analyst work as of now :rofl:

Aw that's understandable after a parents evening though I'm sure if your students are nice enough that they would have been cool with it either way :yy:

Also if you ever need to win them over can't you just bake them some goodies?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I just generally love berries One of my favourite snacks too :yep:

Got anymore wonderful tips or ideas?:flutter:

That's awesome! Computer science is something I should of probably done especially with me doing Developer and IT/Business analyst work as of now :rofl:

Aw that's understandable after a parents evening though I'm sure if your students are nice enough that they would have been cool with it either way :yy:

Also if you ever need to win them over can't you just bake them some goodies?
    I have loads because I'm the only one who eats fruit at home. I learned to adapt otherwise I'd just eat fruit constantly until I exploded. Lemons are my absolute secret weapon for everything!

I trained to be a systems analyst before I decided on uni. Definitely fun but teaching it is exhausting if students are having a bad day.

My year 13s constantly remind me that I promise them brownies and they never actually get them. I really need to work on that before they stop trusting me completely!

ReputationRep:
    OP just confirms that the average TSR user isn’t normal.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have loads because I'm the only one who eats fruit at home. I learned to adapt otherwise I'd just eat fruit constantly until I exploded. Lemons are my absolute secret weapon for everything!

I trained to be a systems analyst before I decided on uni. Definitely fun but teaching it is exhausting if students are having a bad day.

My year 13s constantly remind me that I promise them brownies and they never actually get them. I really need to work on that before they stop trusting me completely!
    Omg haha I am starting to like lemon again finally but for a while I actually kinda feared anything that was a lemon or lemon flavoured
    Story was my sister one day made a lemon jelly and did it wrong and I took a big mouthful and it was like a smell and taste of some sort of bleachy washing up stuff :yucky:

Cool! Some of the work I do involves system analyst jobs:yep: (because of how are project team is at the moment we are all taking on multiple roles xD)
    What was the change of mind going from system analyst training to now?
    So is teaching something you are looking to do long term or plan on going back to a company or doing contract work sometime?

Year 13s sounds like a good year to teach even though it might be harder stuff at least it's for the most part people who want to learn and can understand more easily. I couldn't imagine doing the very young ones (Year 9 would be my limit from my tutoring experiences haha)

And oh my days go and make them brownies already!:woo: You'll become the favourite teacher and best teacher for that matter...but make sure to make one batch nut/gluten free before you become UKs most hated teacher :laugh:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

It's always the worst news when you have to disown or silently get rid of friends because they dislike one of the worlds greatest creations :no:

ReputationRep:
    defo yay, however today i made them and they were like really bad sooooo im contemplatingggg??!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap, I didn't realize it's pancake day. British style with sugar and lemon YES PLEASE. :drool:

I hope I have all the ingredients and don't need to make a trip to the store after work. So so tired after 5 hours sleep and 8 hours at work but I make a huge pile every year, I'm so excited! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Nay. They are severely overrated.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    That is because you have never tasted the French Crêpe.

We make the best Crêpe there is.

We even have our own restaurants dedicated to simply serving Crêpe!

We don't make soggy thick pancakes like the British, we make the Crêpe!

It is a delicacy.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yay! I like all type of pancakes, but realllly love thin pancakes so I feel like I can eat more. Crepes are my favourite, although I’m not sure what the actual difference is between crepes and thin pancakes or are they the same? :dontknow: :lol:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    OP just confirms that the average TSR user isn’t normal.
    Very true :sadnod:

Omg haha I am starting to like lemon again finally but for a while I actually kinda feared anything that was a lemon or lemon flavoured
    Story was my sister one day made a lemon jelly and did it wrong and I took a big mouthful and it was like a smell and taste of some sort of bleachy washing up stuff :yucky:

Cool! Some of the work I do involves system analyst jobs:yep: (because of how are project team is at the moment we are all taking on multiple roles xD)
    What was the change of mind going from system analyst training to now?
    So is teaching something you are looking to do long term or plan on going back to a company or doing contract work sometime?

Year 13s sounds like a good year to teach even though it might be harder stuff at least it's for the most part people who want to learn and can understand more easily. I couldn't imagine doing the very young ones (Year 9 would be my limit from my tutoring experiences haha)

And oh my days go and make them brownies already!:woo: You'll become the favourite teacher and best teacher for that matter...but make sure to make one batch nut/gluten free before you become UKs most hated teacher :laugh:
    Oh that sounds awful about the lemons! Ew. Makes me think of earl grey tea. Bleeeergh!

I think I'll stay long-term in teaching. I really enjoy most of it, just the lower years that are a nightmare! Let me teach sixth form and GCSE all day long and I'll be happier than anything you can imagine. I was a team leader with NCS which pushed me more towards working with young people. It's hard to be bored when working with them!

I'm dragging them in on Wednesday during their half term... I might actually have to bake brownies tomorrow for them :unsure:

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Oh crap, I didn't realize it's pancake day. British style with sugar and lemon YES PLEASE. :drool:

I hope I have all the ingredients and don't need to make a trip to the store after work. So so tired after 5 hours sleep and 8 hours at work but I make a huge pile every year, I'm so excited! :woo:
    Did you make them? Your excitement makes me sad for not liking them

(Original post by Rum Ham)
    Nay. They are severely overrated.
    Yes. Very good.

(Original post by Monclér)
    That is because you have never tasted the French Crêpe.

We make the best Crêpe there is.

We even have our own restaurants dedicated to simply serving Crêpe!

We don't make soggy thick pancakes like the British, we make the Crêpe!

It is a delicacy.
    But I have! And they're icky tooooo! :sad:

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Yay! I like all type of pancakes, but realllly love thin pancakes so I feel like I can eat more. Crepes are my favourite, although I’m not sure what the actual difference is between crepes and thin pancakes or are they the same? :dontknow: :lol:
    I have no idea what the difference is. They all feel wrong in my mouth! :unimpressed:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh that sounds awful about the lemons! Ew. Makes me think of earl grey tea. Bleeeergh!

I think I'll stay long-term in teaching. I really enjoy most of it, just the lower years that are a nightmare! Let me teach sixth form and GCSE all day long and I'll be happier than anything you can imagine. I was a team leader with NCS which pushed me more towards working with young people. It's hard to be bored when working with them!

I'm dragging them in on Wednesday during their half term... I might actually have to bake brownies tomorrow for them :unsure:
    Yup it was a very traumatic experience that I'm only recovering from slightly now I had a lemon cheesecake last week or half a slice so getting better :yy:
    OMG there was earl grey tea at the hotel in the Netherlands and I was just like ugh it's not our normal tea but hey ho it will do :yucky:

Sounds like a good plan though especially if you love doing it Passionate teachers are the best:yep: I totally agree as long as the students for me are above year 9 (year 7 at a stretch) then it's great but if it's primary or under then :no: I can't handle that many kiddos :laugh:
    Awesome! That must have been a wonderful experience I can imagine it was fun 24/7 :ahee: but sometimes too much fun

oo yes make them brownies! Though dragging them in on Wednesday doesn't sound so great xD
    Also my sister didn't make us brownies on last Tuesday soooo on the Friday I decided to make pancakes for the first time! And the first few were abit messy but by the end my dad found them pretty perfect and even said because they were the thin ones (sis normally does thick american ones) that they were better than hers :bigsmile: (Take that sis:eviltongue: but not like it's a competition or anything )
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Yup it was a very traumatic experience that I'm only recovering from slightly now I had a lemon cheesecake last week or half a slice so getting better :yy:
    OMG there was earl grey tea at the hotel in the Netherlands and I was just like ugh it's not our normal tea but hey ho it will do :yucky:

Sounds like a good plan though especially if you love doing it Passionate teachers are the best:yep: I totally agree as long as the students for me are above year 9 (year 7 at a stretch) then it's great but if it's primary or under then :no: I can't handle that many kiddos :laugh:
    Awesome! That must have been a wonderful experience I can imagine it was fun 24/7 :ahee: but sometimes too much fun

oo yes make them brownies! Though dragging them in on Wednesday doesn't sound so great xD
    Also my sister didn't make us brownies on last Tuesday soooo on the Friday I decided to make pancakes for the first time! And the first few were abit messy but by the end my dad found them pretty perfect and even said because they were the thin ones (sis normally does thick american ones) that they were better than hers :bigsmile: (Take that sis:eviltongue: but not like it's a competition or anything )
    Earl Grey tastes like somebody didn't quite wash the cup out after using citrus washing up liquid. I cannot see past its grossness to even do a review of it for my tea blog!

I don't teach year 7s this year but they're generally nice at that age. Year 8 is the start of the rebellion and 9s have either decided on compsci at GCSE or not so make effort based on that.

They're probably still reading my posts and their hopes will be up for brownies now. I'll have to run out later to get the ingredients for it!

Practice definitely makes perfect with pancakes! I used to make dozens for my church and the first few lots would be 'donated' to the children because they were too embarrassing for adults to look at!

Everything is a competition. Be proud! :^_^:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Definitely yay. I don't care of the taste, I like both savoury and sweet. And I am eating them since I was a little kid. Simple and just a few ingredients to fry them in a pan. They can be eaten at different time. Pancakes are versatile and delicious. That is why I like them.

(...)

Are some toppings less awful than others? Am I doing something wrong? Why even put sugar and lemon on them anyway? Somebody reassure me that I'm not alone in my dislike of the soggy mush!
    Did you have tase a savoury variation? maybe that is the taste to change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    I literally had pancakes yesterday. If it's with nutella, how can you hate them

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.