Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to get into the Level 3 diploma in Veterinary Nursing?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i'm 23 years old and having a major change in the direction I want to go in life!

I've always loved animals, I've hatched and raised ducklings and a pigeon, I've also raised newt hatching-lings and own cats and two tortoise but this is the extent of my experience.

I have worked for the last year in council work and before that in admin as well and iv'e just come to the realization of what I really want to do in life (a little later than most, but I finally feel like I have experienced enough of mundane office jobs to know what i want to do) - So i'm not sure how much this past experience will help me

I can only go the diploma route because i don't have alevels and I'm not in a position to retake them, What im wondering is how i get onto the apprenticeship route? Should I email direct to different Vets and what would be the best way to show them i'm really serious about this?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by imarkerpen)
    So i'm 23 years old and having a major change in the direction I want to go in life!

I've always loved animals, I've hatched and raised ducklings and a pigeon, I've also raised newt hatching-lings and own cats and two tortoise but this is the extent of my experience.

I have worked for the last year in council work and before that in admin as well and iv'e just come to the realization of what I really want to do in life (a little later than most, but I finally feel like I have experienced enough of mundane office jobs to know what i want to do) - So i'm not sure how much this past experience will help me

I can only go the diploma route because i don't have alevels and I'm not in a position to retake them, What im wondering is how i get onto the apprenticeship route? Should I email direct to different Vets and what would be the best way to show them i'm really serious about this?

Thanks
    I'm a vet med student rather than nursing but as far as I know you just apply to vet practices directly. Here is a list of practices that offer the training. Entry requirements may differ between clinics but I wouldn't write off your previous work; you can pick out the relevant facets of what you did (e.g. teamwork, having to be organised, potentially speaking to clients etc etc), and the practice may also value someone with slightly more life experience (you wouldn't even qualify as a mature student yet if you were to go to university, I'm just saying that some people applying for vet nursing may be as young as 18 or previously 16 )

The best way to show that you're serious would be by doing work experience. I'm afraid your own 'experience' with your pets won't count for anything. Spend as much time as possible before you apply (but at least a couple of weeks; it's fine if this has to be formatted as 1 day per week or something if you need to fit experience around your current job). Show that you know what you're getting into and that you're not afraid to get your hands dirty

ReputationRep:
    Little Tail Chaser is correct. Training places are however like gold dust and in my opinion it is a better way to qualify than doing the degree. You need to apply direct to a training practice. Be prepared to start either unpaid just for regular work experience, or employed as an auxiliary, hopefully with the promise of employment and training if both sides want that after a certain period, or when there is a training place available at the practice. We even employed one lady who really wanted to be a qualified nurse as a receptionist and she worked on reception until there was a nurse training vacancy available. She qualified and eventually became our practice manager! That sort of arrangement works for some practices as they might not want to start to train someone as soon as they first employ them in case that person doesn't fit into your team. It is expensive and time consuming for a practice to train their own nurses so you may also be asked to sign an agreement that says you will pay back a certain % of the costs if you leave within a certain time after qualifying.

(Original post by imarkerpen)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I'm a vet med student rather than nursing but as far as I know you just apply to vet practices directly. Here is a list of practices that offer the training. Entry requirements may differ between clinics but I wouldn't write off your previous work; you can pick out the relevant facets of what you did (e.g. teamwork, having to be organised, potentially speaking to clients etc etc), and the practice may also value someone with slightly more life experience (you wouldn't even qualify as a mature student yet if you were to go to university, I'm just saying that some people applying for vet nursing may be as young as 18 or previously 16 )

The best way to show that you're serious would be by doing work experience. I'm afraid your own 'experience' with your pets won't count for anything. Spend as much time as possible before you apply (but at least a couple of weeks; it's fine if this has to be formatted as 1 day per week or something if you need to fit experience around your current job). Show that you know what you're getting into and that you're not afraid to get your hands dirty
    Thankyou so much for your advice!
    I'm going to start volunteering at an animal hospital on the weekends, then after that I guess my next step will be to send out emails to all the clinics!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.