Turn on thread page Beta

Student Loans/grants for a mandatory Year Abroad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm an applicant for the University of Sheffield's Korean course, and I'm a little unsure about the funding for the Year Abroad in Year 2. It's a mandatory part of the course, but I'm unsure what kind of grants, loans and bursaries will be available to me during that period. Could you perhaps shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks,
    Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fashionablylait)
    Hi!
    I'm an applicant for the University of Sheffield's Korean course, and I'm a little unsure about the funding for the Year Abroad in Year 2. It's a mandatory part of the course, but I'm unsure what kind of grants, loans and bursaries will be available to me during that period. Could you perhaps shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks,
    Josh
    Hey,

I did Chinese studies at Sheffield for undergrad but the situation's similar. For the Year Abroad, you're still entitled to Student Finance as normal, both tuition fee and maintenance loan. Tuition fees for the year abroad are considerably lower than years spent in Sheffield (currently £1,385 for the year abroad). There are a couple of scholarships on top of this for Korean studies, but they're notoriously difficult to get so I wouldn't rely on getting them. You also have to prove access to £9k to get a student visa for Korea, although you can use your maintenance loan towards this. You can also claim back a travel grant from student finance to go towards air fares.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/seas/undergraduates/fees Here's the link to the School of East Asian Studies' official page on all things YA finance

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.