Turn on thread page Beta

Can I still get into a Russell group university with one facilitating subject? watch

ReputationRep:
    For my A levels i was thinking of choosing English Literature, Sociology and Media Studies as they are the subjects that i enjoy. Then possibly apply for an English course and go on to a journalism postgraduate course afterwards. However, i’ve been told that I should pick at least two facilitating subjects if I want to increase my chances in getting into a top uni.

How likely am I to be accepted into one if I picked those three subjects and got really high grades in them? Or am I better off picking a subject like History instead of media studies, even though i’m not so keen on this?

ReputationRep:
    If you look at the universities requirements, most of them would say what they would like. For example, the University of Leeds for English Language and Literature want grades AAA-AAB including A in English (Literature, Language, or Language and Literature) and not including General Studies or Critical Thinking. I think as long as you demonstrate your passion for the subject you want to study through your personal statement and are able to obtain the grades to meet the requirements, there is no reason why you should have to take anything else apart from what you want.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    People who are serious about going to a top university don't do media studies. Sociology is ok I guess, not great, could be worse, could be media studies.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...ected-a-levels

ReputationRep:
    I did 3 non-facilitating subjects at A2 level (with a non-facilitating AS level) and I currently study at a Russell Group University, I also received offers from all the other universities I applied for, including 2 other Russell Group Universities.

To be more specific, I did A2 levels in Psychology, Philosophy & Ethics and Media Studies (A*AA) - I study at Exeter.

So the answer is - yes you can get into a Russell Group university with subjects such as media studies, even though some people look down on them.

If I got in with 0 'facilitating subjects', I'm sure you can with 1.

The most important thing to consider when choosing A Levels is - do you enjoy the subject? - If you enjoy it, you'll work hard at it and come out with good grades.

It is of course also important to consider whether you are already good at the subject (if you are doing it at GCSE)

I hope this helped, please go and study what you enjoy and study it well!

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.